Calculus Questions: Help Solving Problems

• Thread starter Pearce_09
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary, the conversation was about someone asking for help with a calculus assignment, specifically finding T'(t) and proving that a function f is constant on a sphere defined by x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = r^2. The person was able to find T'(t) and was looking for guidance on how to show that f is constant using the gradient of f and the tangent vector v.
Pearce_09
Hello there, I have a few problems with a recent calculus assignment and i was wondering if someone could give me a hand.

1. Suppose that the temperature at the point (x,y,z) in space is T(x,y,z) = x^2 + y^2 + z^2. Let a particle follow the right-circular helix sigma(t) = (cost, sint, t) and let T(t) be its temperature at time t,
a) What is T'(t)

I thought that since T is the temperature at a point, but the particle travles along the helix i could write
T(t) = (costt, sint, t) = (cost)^2 + (sint)^2 + t^t = 1 + t^2
then T'(t) = 2t

does that make sense?

My next problem i am quite stumped on, and even a slight tap in the general right direction would be much appreciated.
2. Let f and g be functions R^3=>R. Suppose f is differentiable and

(Gradient)f = (partial f wrt x, partial f wrt y, partial f wrt z) = g(x,y,z)(x,y,z)

Show that f is constant on any sphere radius r centered at the origin defined by x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = r^2.

Thanks alot

Physics news on Phys.org
Pearce_09 said:
I thought that since T is the temperature at a point, but the particle travles along the helix i could write
T(t) = (costt, sint, t) = (cost)^2 + (sint)^2 + t^t = 1 + t^2
then T'(t) = 2t

does that make sense?

Yes, it does.

For the next problem, you are being asked to show that the level surfaces of [itex]f[/itex] are the spheres [itex]S: x^2+y^2+z^2=r^2[/itex]. That means that [itex]\hat{\nabla}f[/itex] must be normal to [itex]f[/itex] (why?). That should be easy enough to show.

Thank you, i wasn't sure if i had done that one correctly.

As for question two, that definatly clears up some things, however I'm having trouble showing this.
If F is constant, the gradient of F is normal. So to show that F is constant on any sphere defined by S: x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = r^2 i have to show that the gradient of F is normal, that is the inner product of the gradient of F with the tangent vector v is zero.. right? however, I'm not quite sure how to do that.. what is the purpose of g(x,y,z)(x,y,z) in the question?

Related to Calculus Questions: Help Solving Problems

1. What is calculus?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of change and the properties of continuous functions. It is divided into two major branches: differential calculus and integral calculus.

2. What are the applications of calculus?

Calculus has a wide range of real-world applications, such as in physics, engineering, economics, and finance. It is used to model and analyze various phenomena, such as motion, growth, and optimization.

3. How do I solve a calculus problem?

To solve a calculus problem, you need to first identify what type of problem it is (differential or integral) and then apply the appropriate rules and techniques. This usually involves finding derivatives or integrals, using limits, and applying various rules and formulas.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid in calculus?

Some common mistakes to avoid in calculus include mixing up the rules and formulas, not simplifying expressions properly, and not understanding the concepts behind the calculations. It is important to practice and review regularly to avoid these mistakes.

5. How can I improve my calculus skills?

To improve your calculus skills, it is important to understand the fundamental concepts and practice regularly. You can also seek help from a tutor or join a study group to get additional support and guidance. Online resources, such as practice problems and tutorials, can also be helpful in improving your skills.