Calibration of gamma-ray spectra

In summary, due to software issues, the speaker had to manually calibrate their data from three sources in the lab. They then discuss the possibility of using an x-ray energy to extend their calibration range, but express concerns about the validity of including it due to differences in nuclear and electron structure. However, it is generally accepted that this would be acceptable as long as the limitations are considered.
sltungle
So I have an assignment due in tomorrow night that I've been working on recently and I find myself with a question.

Because our software was playing up it wouldn't give us the correct algebraic relation to calibrate our results, so I've had to manually do this. From the three sources we were investigating in the lab (Na-22, Co-60 and Cs-137) I've taken the 5 real photopeak values that they produce, and the 5 photopeak values that our uncalibrated software gave us, and I've found the straight line that explains them (has an R^2 value of 0.9999904900).

However because of this my data is only really technically calibrated between 511 keV and 1332 keV (because, y'know, interpolation = good, extrapolation = bad), so I was thinking is it mathematically sound for me to take the Ba-137 x-ray with a known energy, and along with the incorrect energy we experimentally obtained plot it against the other 5 values?

This would extend my range of calibration and would remove any negative energy regions from my graph. However I'm worried that, because the mathematics that dictates nuclear structure isn't the same as the mathematics that dictates electron structure (right?) it might be somehow invalid to include the x-ray energy in my calibration.

Thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is generally accepted that including the x-ray energy in your calibration would be acceptable, as long as you are aware of the limitations that may arise from this. It is important to note that although nuclear and electron structure are governed by different mathematics, your calibration should still provide accurate results within the range of your data points. Extrapolation will always carry some degree of uncertainty, regardless of the type of data being used.

Related to Calibration of gamma-ray spectra

1. What is the purpose of calibrating gamma-ray spectra?

Calibrating gamma-ray spectra is important for accurately measuring the energy of gamma-ray photons emitted by radioactive materials. This allows for the identification and quantification of different radionuclides present in a sample.

2. How is gamma-ray spectrum calibration performed?

Gamma-ray spectrum calibration is typically performed by using a known gamma-ray source, such as a standard radioactive material, to measure the spectrum and assign energy values to the peaks. This process is repeated multiple times with different sources to create a calibration curve.

3. What factors can affect the calibration of a gamma-ray spectrum?

The calibration of a gamma-ray spectrum can be affected by factors such as variations in detector performance, temperature changes, and electronic noise. These factors can cause shifts in the energy values of peaks and may require periodic recalibration.

4. Can calibration be done with multiple types of detectors?

Yes, calibration of gamma-ray spectra can be done with different types of detectors, including scintillation detectors, semiconductor detectors, and gas-filled detectors. However, the calibration method may differ depending on the type of detector used.

5. Is it necessary to calibrate gamma-ray spectra regularly?

Yes, it is recommended to calibrate gamma-ray spectra regularly to ensure accurate and reliable measurements. The frequency of calibration may vary depending on the type of detector and the stability of the measurement system, but it is typically done at least once a year.