Call by reference C++ confusion

In summary, the goal of the program is to overload the extraction operator for cout so that it can handle multiple types of data.
shivajikobardan
Homework Statement
Why do ostream &os? What does it do? Why not just do "ostream os"? What happens in memory when we do this call by reference thing?
Relevant Equations
none
Full code goes here: The goal of the program is to overload the extraction operator for cout.

Code:
#include<iostream>
using namespace std;class Time
{
private:
    int hour;
    int min;
public:
    Time()
    {
        hour=min=0;
    }
    Time(int h,int m)
    {

hour=h;
        min=m;
    }
    Time operator+(Time t)
    {
        Time t1;
        int m=min+t.min;
        t1.hour=hour+t.hour+m/60;
        t1.min=m%60;
        return t1;

}
    Time operator+(int x)
    {

Time t;
        t.hour=hour+x;
        t.min=min;
        return t;
    }
    friend void operator<<(ostream &os,Time t );
};

void operator<<(ostream &os,Time t)
{

cout<<"Hour : "<<t.hour<<"min:"<<t.min<<endl;
}int main()
{
    Time t1;
    Time t2(8,40);
    Time t3(5,30);
    Time t4(2,30);
    t1=t2+t3+t4;
    cout<<t1;
    return 0;
}
Please guide how to understand this. Tell me any prerequisite that I'm missing, that'd be immensely helpful than giving me hand holded solution.

Physics news on Phys.org
When I do just "ostream os" instead of "ostream &os", I get the below error;
Screenshot 2023-03-31 150143.png
If anyone could share figures for what's happening in memory, that'll be hugely useful. A picture is worth 1000 words! :)

Last edited:
The best explanation I can give, which might not be 100% accurate, is that the overloaded << operator expects its first argument to be a reference to the ostream class, not the class itself. This restriction is the same as the ostream class member operator.

thank you for the reply. I need to learn about call by address and call by reference first.

shivajikobardan said:
thank you for the reply. I need to learn about call by address and call by reference first.
It's somewhat confusing, IMO. In the time before C++, the two types of calls were call by value and call by reference. These call types refer to what happens with a parameter when a function is called or invoked. In call by value, the function receives the value of the parameter, so if a function modifies that parameter, the change isn't reflected in the caller's variable, In call by reference, the function actually has access to the parameter, so any change that the function makes to the parameter is reflected in the caller's variable. In C, all calls were by value, but call by reference was simulated by making the parameter an address; i.e., a pointer to a variable. Because the pointer was passed by value, no the pointer's value doesn't change, but what's at that address can change.

C++ added a new type of parameter, a reference parameter. It works almost identically to the way that call by pointer address works, except that the semantics are different. IOW, a call by pointer address looks different from a call with a reference parameter.

Here's a short example program that shows all three function call types.
C++:
#include<iostream>
using std::cout; using std::endl;

void CallByValue(int val)
{
	val = 2;
}

void CallByPtr(int* pVal)
{
	*pVal = 2;
}

void CallByRef(int& val)
{
	val = 2;
}int main()
{
	int num = 5;
	// Call by value can't change value of its argument.
	CallByValue(num);
	cout << "num = " << num << endl;

// Call by pointer address can't change value of its argument,
	//   but can change the value pointed to.
	CallByPtr(&num);

num = 5;        // Reset num.
	// Call by reference can change the value of its argument.
	CallByRef(num);
}

Note that only CallByRef() can modify its argument. CallByPtr() doesn't modify its argument, &num, but it modifies what's at that address, namely, num. CallByValue() can't modify its argument at all.

It's interesting to me that the assembly code that MSFT Visual Studio generates for CallByPtr() and CallByRef() are exactly the same, even though the way these functions are called is different. Of course, the code that the compiler generates is implementation-dependent, so other compilers might do something different.

why's your name written as Chatgpt? what happened? are you copying answers from chatgpt?

shivajikobardan said:
why's your name written as Chatgpt? what happened? are you copying answers from chatgpt?
What day is it?

shivajikobardan said:
why's your name written as Chatgpt?
Not sure, but I think that it's a prank played by the forum's owner on all the mentors as an April Fools' Day prank.

What I wrote is NOT from ChatGPT...

Likes shivajikobardan
Mark44 said:
an April Fools' Day prank.
Yah think ? :oldlaugh:

Likes SammyS

What is "Call by reference" in C++?

"Call by reference" in C++ refers to a method of passing arguments to a function where the function can modify the value of the argument passed in. This means that the actual variable passed in as an argument will be modified by the function, rather than just a copy of the variable being created within the function.

How is "Call by reference" different from "Call by value" in C++?

In "Call by value", a copy of the variable is passed to the function, so any changes made to the variable within the function will not affect the original variable outside of the function. In "Call by reference", the actual variable is passed, so any changes made to the variable within the function will also affect the original variable outside of the function.

Why is "Call by reference" sometimes confusing for C++ programmers?

"Call by reference" can be confusing because it can be difficult to keep track of which variables are being modified within a function and which are not. It also requires a good understanding of how memory is managed in C++ and how references work.

When should I use "Call by reference" in my C++ code?

"Call by reference" can be useful when you want to modify the value of a variable within a function and have those changes reflected outside of the function. It can also be more efficient than "Call by value" for large objects, as it avoids creating a copy of the object.

Can I use "Call by reference" with all data types in C++?

Yes, "Call by reference" can be used with all data types in C++, including primitive types, user-defined types, and standard library types. However, it is important to note that using "Call by reference" with primitive types may not always be necessary, as they are already passed by reference in C++.