Calling all British and US students: A-levels vs AP

In summary, the A-level examinations are generally considered to be more challenging and cover a wider breadth of material compared to AP exams. A-level exams are also seen as more similar to IB-HL exams, and students who have taken both A-level and AP exams have reported that A-level exams are tougher. Additionally, A-level exams are not accepted for credit at some top universities, indicating their level of rigor. However, both A-levels and AP exams are considered to be worthwhile and valid advanced curricula for students, as long as they have a teacher who is able to handle the material.
usa1981
Are A-levels or AP exam(s) is/are more difficult?

Would someone do a honest comparison A-levels and AP courses.

Is there a differnce in what covered in the Physics, other sciences, Maths, English, Forgein Language, History, Geography,Psychology, and Philosophy?http://www.cie.org.uk/CIE/WebSite/WorkingWithCIE/regional/US/index1.jsp

Go to A-level section
Biology
www.exam.net
Syllabi
2006 Syllabus download PDF
2007 Syllabus download PDF
2008 Syllabus download PDF
Physics
here
Syllabi
Psychology
Syllabi
Question Papers
2004 Question Paper 1 download PDF
2004 Question Paper 2 download PDF
2004 Question Paper 3 download PDF
A & AS Level History 9697
Syllabi
Question Papers
2004 Paper 1 download PDF
2004 Paper 3 download PDF
2004 Paper 5 download PDF
2004 Paper 6 download PDF
Resource List

Mathematics
Mathematics (Further)
Mathematics (Higher)
2005 Syllabus download PDF

http://www.edexcel.org.uk/home/
Biology (Human)
T2 Exemplars (Individual Studies) - No 5
Investigating the effect of IAA on the elongation of oat coleoptiles PDF (1 MB)
01/09/2002
French
QCA Consultation of GCE AS/A level subject criteria for Modern Foreign
PDF (17 KB)
20/04/2006
History
Coursework and Teachers' Guide (Issue 4)
Issue 4 of the GCE in History Coursework and Teachers' Guide PDF (1 MB)
23/03/2006
Specimen papers and mark scheme - part 2
PDF (2 MB)
05/10/2005
Mathematics:
AS GCE in Mathematics (8450)
C3 Answers PDF (50 KB)
04/04/2006
Advanced GCE in Mathematics (9450)
Final Specification
This file contains the new Advanced Subsidiary/Advanced Level GCE PDF (1 MB)
27/10/2004
AS GCE in Pure Mathematics (8452)
Final Specification
This file contains the new Advanced Subsidiary/Advanced Level GCE
Advanced GCE in Pure Mathematics (9452)
Final Specification
This file contains the new Advanced Subsidiary/Advanced Level GCE
AS GCE in Statistics (8453)
Specification PDF (711 KB)
01/09/2002
Advanced GCE in Statistics (9453)
Mathematics Information Booklet 5
Spring 2006 PDF (85 KB)
04/01/2006
AS GCE in Applied Mathematics (8455)
PDF (2 MB)
03/12/2002
AS GCE in Discrete Mathematics (8456)
Specimen Papers and Mark Schemes (Part 2)
Part 2 of 4: Key to marking and Pure Maths mark scheme PDF (1 MB)
03/12/2002

http://apcentral.collegeboard.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
That link was just for the edexcel website. That's just one of the boards which controls A level curricula.

brewnog I know that ,but, they also ofer International exams that was the reason I used them.

I found a syllabus outline of A Level physics at http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/2003/syll.htm . According to this, I can say that A Level covers more material than AP. I'd estimate it's about 20% more "breadth," but I can't tell from the outline how the "depth" compares.

A Level is equvalent to the IB "higher level" curriculum (I teach both AP and IB, BTW). IB-HL and A Level are different only in small degrees. I can't compare the difficulty of the testing since I have never seen an A Level sample.

Almost off topic, why the HELL are hyperbolic functions not on the AP Calc AB test??

AP classes make the teacher teach for the test. I now know this first hand :(

http://www.cie.org.uk/CIE/WebSite/qualificationsandawardshub/qualificationhubs/generalqualsubject/generalqualsubject.jsp?oid=2936&name=A+%26amp%3B+AS+Level+French&typeoid=2208

http://www.cie.org.uk/CIE/WebSite/qualificationsandawardshub/qualificationhubs/generalqualsubject/generalqualsubject.jsp?oid=2948&name=A+%26amp%3B+AS+Level+German&typeoid=2208

http://www.cie.org.uk/CIE/WebSite/qualificationsandawardshub/qualificationhubs/generalqualsubject/generalqualsubject.jsp?oid=2952&name=A+%26amp%3B+AS+Level+History&typeoid=2208

http://www.cie.org.uk/CIE/WebSite/qualificationsandawardshub/qualificationhubs/generalqualsubject/generalqualsubject.jsp?oid=2927&name=A+%26amp%3B+AS+Level+Physics&typeoid=2208

http://www.cie.org.uk/CIE/WebSite/qualificationsandawardshub/qualificationhubs/generalqualsubject/generalqualsubject.jsp?oid=3073&name=A+%26amp%3B+AS+Level+Psychology&typeoid=2208

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say, looking at some of the sample questions, that the A Level examinations are quite a bit tougher than the AP. Especially given that you need to get about 80% on an AP test to score a 5 (which is the highest score).

These seems to be exactly on par with the questions you see on the IB exams and written in precisely the same style. In fact some of the questions are the same as those I've seen on IB tests so I am assuming that there is some association among the writers of the two entities.

But, to your question: hands down, the AP is no match for the A Level papers.

Chi Meson and all others would be for something more like the A-levels exams/papers?

I did A-Level Maths, Physics, Chemistry, back in the 90's I then went on to Bsc Maths and Physics, and after a year swapped to BEng Mechanical Engineer (and then ended up in the IT industry but anyway long story) What I studied for A-Level overlapped with what I covered in my first year at University.

I had one student who did the AP curriculum and got a 5 on the AP test (if they gave out 6's he would've gotten that). He subsequently went to MIT where they do not accept AP scores for credit. He visited me near the end of the first year to tell me that he had learned almost nothing new in his first year of physics (I assured him that the "almost" was very important here).

Another student who got a 6 on the IB-HL exam reported the same thing for her first year of Physics at BU.

So there you go. both (or I should say "all three") advanced curriculae are worthwile, challenging, and valid. As long as there is a teacher who can handle it.

Are you trying to make a decision on the matter?

moose said:
Almost off topic, why the HELL are hyperbolic functions not on the AP Calc AB test??
Hyperbolic functions are not usually taught during a first-year college calculus course. I did not get to hyperbolic functions in my math course until the fourth semester (unfortunately, we were using them in my Physics class during the third semester... that's still an open wound!).

AP does a pretty good job in surveying colleges and universities to find out what is the standard curriculum. When colleges start introducing hyperbolic functions during the first two semesters, I'm sure it will then be included in the AP curriculum.
AP classes make the teacher teach for the test. I now know this first hand :(

"Teaching to the test" has become a perjorative buzzword. Sometimes it is not a bad thing to teach "following a prescribed curriculum." There is so much in a standard introductory college physics textbook and there is no way to cover the book co pletely in one year.

Any teacher who is able to cover the full AP curriculum during a single year is doing a fantastic job; there is a lot to cover and it is not perfectly spelled out either, leaving much to teacher to decide.

There is a limit to the number of days available, right? In my advanced physics class (AP and IB together) the students have already had one year of physics, so I have the luxury of going farther than the AP and IB curriculum. Still, I do not have time for everything. So what's left out? FOr me it's stress/strain, rotational dynamics, AC electricity, astrophysics (and that was my major!), and the deeper halves of quantum and nuclear. I could decide to include one of these topics, but then I'd lose Special Relativity. Then somebody would complain.

Last edited:
Do you find it interesting looking at different curriculum countries in the world?

I'd say difficulty wise it goes generally along the lines of : AS level=IB standard/AP/IB higher/A levels.
The reason is that most people only ever do 3 A levels for three years.

It two years no three.

usa1981 said:
Are A-levels or AP exam(s) is/are more difficult?

Well, I'm not British or American and I'm not a student, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. I'm going to go with the AP exam. The questions are more difficult because they more thoroughly explore your knowledge of the subject.

Teecher said:
Well, I'm not British or American and I'm not a student, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. I'm going to go with the AP exam. The questions are more difficult because they more thoroughly explore your knowledge of the subject.
Holiday Inn Express? Holy Cow! I don't know how some people manage all the things they do. Tell us, did you get the little bars of soap? (Oh MAN!)

Chi Meson said:
Holiday Inn Express? Holy Cow!

No, it was Holiday Inn Express.

I don't know how some people manage all the things they do. Tell us, did you get the little bars of soap? (Oh MAN!)

Yeah, I always get them and feed them to my goldfish. She's been tied up in my basement so long, she'll eat anything.

Teecher
Did you even look the A-level exam questions and compare them to the AP exam?
Why do you think the AP is more thorough than A-level?

can't speak for the AP but A-levels suck :P. the only maths in the entire physics syllabus was the exponential function (for capacitors and radioactive decay) and some other bits and bobs, arithmetic etc. didn't even have to know how to derive them...just rote learning. fluid flow and a decent comprehension of thermodynamics isn't touched upon full stop.

thankfully had an enthusiastic teacher who taught us everything under the sun.

Related to Calling all British and US students: A-levels vs AP

1. What are the main differences between A-levels and AP?

A-levels (Advanced Level) and AP (Advanced Placement) are both advanced high school courses, but they differ in several ways. A-levels are primarily offered in the United Kingdom and focus on a specific subject area, while AP courses are offered worldwide and cover a broader range of subjects. Additionally, A-levels are typically completed over two years, while AP courses are completed in one year. Lastly, A-levels are graded based on exams and coursework, while AP courses are graded solely on exams.

2. Which is more challenging, A-levels or AP?

This is subjective and depends on the individual student and their strengths and weaknesses. Both A-levels and AP courses are designed to be challenging and prepare students for higher education. However, A-levels tend to have a more intense workload, while AP exams are known to be more difficult.

3. Do universities prefer A-levels or AP?

Again, this can vary depending on the university and country. In the United Kingdom, A-levels are the standard for admission to universities, while in the United States, both A-levels and AP courses are recognized by most universities. Some universities may have a preference for one over the other, so it is best to research the specific requirements of the universities you are interested in.

4. Can A-levels be used to fulfill AP course requirements?

Yes, some universities may accept A-levels in place of AP courses. It is important to check with the specific university to see if they accept A-levels for credit and which subjects they may fulfill.

5. Are there any benefits to taking both A-levels and AP?

Yes, taking both A-levels and AP courses can demonstrate a well-rounded academic background and strong academic skills to universities. Additionally, completing both can provide a deeper understanding of a subject and potentially earn credits for university courses, saving time and money in the long run.