Calorimeter Physics Problem: Steam Condensation for Temperature Increase

In summary, in order to raise the final temperature of a 50g copper calorimeter containing 250g of water at 20°C to 50°C, you would need to condense a certain amount of steam into water, with the initial temperature of the steam also being 20°C. This can be solved using the equation MwCw(T-Tw) + McCc(T-Tc) = MsCs(T-Ts) and converting the units to kg and K.
smray7

Homework Statement

50g copper calorimeter contains 250g of water @ 20 degrees C.
how much steam must be condensed into water if the final temp. of system is 50 degrees C?

Homework Equations

MwCw(T-Tw) = -MxCx(T-Tx)

The Attempt at a Solution

I converted grams to kg and celcius to kelvins.

so I'm thinking i have to add the mass and specific heat of the calorimeter to the left so now:

-MwCW(T-Tw) + McCc(T-Tc) = MsCs(T-Ts)

-(.25kg)(4189j/kg C)(373k-293k) + (.05kg)(387j/kg c)(373k-?) = Ms(2010j/kg c)(373- ?)ok so i know i need to solve for Ms but I'm not sure what my initial temps are for the copper and steam. would it be the same as the water? so 293K?

is my negative on the right side of the equation? am i right by adding McCc(T-Tc) to MwCw(T-Tw)??

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you are correct to add the mass and specific heat of the calorimeter to the left side of the equation. The initial temperature of the copper and steam should be the same as the water (20°C = 293K). Also, your negative sign on the right side of the equation is correct. Now, you can solve for Ms.

1. What is a calorimeter?

A calorimeter is a scientific instrument used to measure the amount of heat released or absorbed during a chemical or physical process. It typically consists of a container filled with water, an insulated chamber, and a thermometer to measure temperature changes.

2. How does a calorimeter work?

A calorimeter works by measuring the temperature change of a substance, usually water, before and after a chemical reaction or physical process. The heat released or absorbed by the reaction is then calculated using the known specific heat capacity of water and the change in temperature.

3. What is a calorimeter physics problem?

A calorimeter physics problem is a type of scientific problem that involves using the principles of calorimetry to determine the amount of heat released or absorbed during a chemical or physical process. These problems often require knowledge of specific heat capacities, temperature changes, and heat transfer equations.

4. What are some common applications of calorimetry?

Calorimetry is commonly used in various fields such as chemistry, physics, and engineering. It is used to determine the energy released or absorbed in chemical reactions, the specific heat capacity of materials, and the efficiency of engines and other heat-producing processes.

5. What are some limitations of using a calorimeter?

One limitation of using a calorimeter is that it assumes that all the heat released or absorbed during a process is transferred to the surrounding water. In reality, some heat may be lost to the environment, leading to less accurate results. Additionally, the specific heat capacity of water may vary slightly depending on temperature and impurities, which can affect the accuracy of calculations.