Can a 1 MPA valve handle the weight on a pneumatically adjustable massage table?

In summary, the idea of an air lift table that is pneumatically adjustable is appealing, but there are a few challenges that need to be addressed.
Jason Doyle
Hey guys,

First off, Id like to say that I am not an engineering student, I study Physical Therapy. I am wanting to make an old massage table I have pneumatically adjustable height wise. I was thinking of putting a 16 mm bore pneumatic cylinder inside each leg (Or possibly replacing the leg entirely with a 32 mm bore 300 stroke)

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/16mm-Bore-300mm-Stroke-Double-Action-Single-Rod-Pneumatic-Air-Cylinder/322047953457?hash=item4afb8dca31:g:Fe0AAOSwnCFaSyoL

Starting from a foot pump or bicycle pump, running hose into a 1 way or speed control valve 1 MPA (so the air pressure stays in the cylinder and the table height is maintained until valve is released) and then to a Y connector which would split to 2 more y Connectors and then run to each cylinder (Diagram Attached). Do you guys think this idea will work? I am curious if a 1 MPA valve will hold the weight of a person, as well as the M5 or hose Y connectors without bursting? Any advise you can give would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• WIN_20180330_15_33_47_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20180330_15_33_47_Pro.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 555
  • WIN_20180330_15_34_06_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20180330_15_34_06_Pro.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 542
  • Diagram.png
    Diagram.png
    13 KB · Views: 659
Engineering news on Phys.org
Whether you can use a 1 Mpa valve depends upon the size of your selected 4 cylinders vs. the maximum load expected to be applied on the table. The formula to determine this is Max valve and system pressure = (Table Load x safety factor) / ((d^2 x π /4 ) x 4 cylinders)
where: d = bore diameter of the selected cylinder.

A couple of issues you will run into is to get all four cylinders to lift to the same height with one pump feed and even with a shutoff valve, the air cylinders are going to compress according to the amount of load and where that load is placed on the table. If you apply a load near one or two of the cylinders then those cylinders are going to compress and lighter loaded cylinders are going to extend by amount proportional to the differential load at each one.(i.e. you could end up with a bouncy table that also tilts when you apply pressure at different locations on the table.) One way to address these problems might be to install positive locks on all of the legs that can be unlocked for raising or lowering the table with your air lift system.

To get around the leveling problem @JBA mentioned, you might consider a scissor lift and a single pneumatic cylinder. Below is a picture of something similar.

spa-luxe-electric-lift-massage-table-includes-facerest-and-armshelf-37.gif

Attachments

• spa-luxe-electric-lift-massage-table-includes-facerest-and-armshelf-37.gif
    spa-luxe-electric-lift-massage-table-includes-facerest-and-armshelf-37.gif
    49.9 KB · Views: 319
Thanks guys, where did you find that picture Anorlunda, Perhaps Ill just purchase one like that instead (although it will be less fun)

Jason Doyle said:
Thanks guys, where did you find that picture Anorlunda, Perhaps Ill just purchase one like that instead (although it will be less fun)

images.google.com "scissors lift table"

JBA said:
Whether you can use a 1 Mpa valve depends upon the size of your selected 4 cylinders vs. the maximum load expected to be applied on the table. The formula to determine this is Max valve and system pressure = (Table Load x safety factor) / ((d^2 x π /4 ) x 4 cylinders)
where: d = bore diameter of the selected cylinder.

A couple of issues you will run into is to get all four cylinders to lift to the same height with one pump feed and even with a shutoff valve, the air cylinders are going to compress according to the amount of load and where that load is placed on the table. If you apply a load near one or two of the cylinders then those cylinders are going to compress and lighter loaded cylinders are going to extend by amount proportional to the differential load at each one.(i.e. you could end up with a bouncy table that also tilts when you apply pressure at different locations on the table.) One way to address these problems might be to install positive locks on all of the legs that can be unlocked for raising or lowering the table with your air lift system.
JBA, Since I don't know the safety factor force the aluminum alloy the legs are made of I did the math at 300 LB (this is at least 100 lb more then any of my patients) and cam out with .37 so if I understand a 1MPA valve should be more than twice the required pressure? Also on you last comment, the table is currently manually adjustable and has locks its just time consuming because each leg is done individually. I was thinking with the pneumatics, I would just ask the patient to jump up, pump it to the required height then resume. Thanks for your help so far on this!

1. What is a pneumatic massage table?

A pneumatic massage table is a type of massage table that uses air pressure to adjust the height and positioning of the table. This allows for a more versatile and customizable massage experience.

2. How does a pneumatic massage table work?

A pneumatic massage table works by using a pump to fill or release air from the table's air chambers. This allows for easy adjustments to the table's height and positioning, providing comfort for both the massage therapist and the client.

3. What are the benefits of using a pneumatic massage table?

Some benefits of using a pneumatic massage table include increased comfort for the client, reduced strain on the massage therapist's back and arms, and the ability to easily adjust the table to fit different body types and massage techniques.

4. Are pneumatic massage tables suitable for all types of massages?

Yes, pneumatic massage tables are suitable for a variety of massages, including Swedish, deep tissue, and sports massages. The adjustable height and positioning of the table allow for a comfortable and effective massage experience for both the client and the therapist.

5. How do I maintain and care for a pneumatic massage table?

To maintain and care for a pneumatic massage table, it is important to regularly inspect the air chambers for any leaks or damage, clean the table with mild soap and water, and avoid placing heavy objects on the table. It is also recommended to have the table serviced by a professional if any issues arise.

Back