Can a Bicycle Convert Kinetic Energy to Electricity?

In summary: Reagan once said, "If you want to know what God thinks of man, just look at how he's treating the animals." I couldn't agree more.
Netherworld
Direct to the point,

Is it possible to convert Kinetic Energy into an Electricity or Electrical Energy?? How?? Without using...like wind, hydro, and etc...

Physics news on Phys.org
Netherworld said:
Direct to the point,

Is it possible to convert Kinetic Energy into an Electricity or Electrical Energy?? How?? Without using...like wind, hydro, and etc...

Yes. For further details of the contraption, please state what physical body's kinetic energy you intend to use.

That's what a generator does. A windmill, hydroelectric plant, nuclear plant, oil plant, etc. are all methods of providing mechanical energy to turn a generator to create electricity. There are not too many methods that do not directly involve kinetic energy. Solar cells and chemical cells are two major exceptions.

My Question here is to convert kinetic energy to a electrical energy without using of the power plants or the windmill, hydro and nuclear plant , etc ... Is it possible??

kinetic energy of what?

kinetic energy of a bicycle

I got one! You could make a long cylinder and at either end have a thermocouple. If you fill the cylinder with say steel shot and keep rotating the cylinder so that the shot falls and strikes the ends of the cylinder, you will eventually increase the temperature of the shot due to the kinetic energy of the falls and collisions. This increase in temperature will create a voltage difference on the thermocouple. You could hook it up to say a water wheel or windmill to turn it...

Netherworld said:

Well in that case just hook up a generator to the wheel. They already have such things for bikes to power a headlight.

Netherworld said:

Strap on a large magnet on your back while riding a bicycle, and repeatedly ride through a solenoid. There! You've just generated electricity from the kinetic energy of a bicycle.

Why you'd want to do such a thing is beyond me, though.

Zz.

@Born2bwire
Where can i get some generatorss?? Is still any other alternatives? :>

@ZapperZ
Hmmm . Good Idea . I'll make a research on yor idea.

Netherworld said:
Hmmm . Good Idea . I'll make a research on yor idea.

Try basic electricity and magnetism concept called "Faraday's law".

Zz.

Netherworld said:

How about this:

attachment.php?attachmentid=27624&stc=1&d=1282136458.png

Attachments

• kinelecconv.png
    kinelecconv.png
    4 KB · Views: 679
@Dickfore
Thank you , hmm . I appreciated it :>

Netherworld said:
Yes. This is exactly what regenerative braking on a hybrid vehicle does.

Netherworld said:

I think I understand what your asking and where you want to go with the question.

First let me ask a question, you rejected wind and then accepted a moving bicycle, if you set on a stationary bicycle in a 15 mph wind, or peddle a bicycle 15 mph in a stationary air mass, what is different about energy recovery from either action?

I personally would rather set on the bicycle and do nothing, while capturing energy, than work my buns off and try to recover energy from my actions.

The mechanics of capture and conversion can take on many forms.

Ron

Last edited:

Related to Can a Bicycle Convert Kinetic Energy to Electricity?

1. What is kinetic energy to electricity?

Kinetic energy to electricity is the process of converting motion, or kinetic energy, into electrical energy. This can be accomplished through various methods such as generators, turbines, or electromagnetic induction.

2. How does kinetic energy get converted into electricity?

Kinetic energy can be converted into electricity through the use of a generator. This device contains coils of wire that are rotated in a magnetic field, creating an electric current. The more kinetic energy that is applied to the generator, the more electricity is produced.

3. What are some examples of kinetic energy to electricity conversion?

One common example of kinetic energy to electricity conversion is in hydroelectric power plants. The kinetic energy of moving water is used to rotate turbines, which then activate generators to produce electricity. Wind turbines also use kinetic energy from wind to generate electricity.

4. What are the advantages of kinetic energy to electricity conversion?

One advantage of kinetic energy to electricity conversion is that it is a renewable source of energy. Unlike fossil fuels, which are finite, kinetic energy can be constantly replenished. It is also a clean source of energy, as it does not produce harmful emissions.

5. Are there any limitations to kinetic energy to electricity conversion?

One limitation of kinetic energy to electricity conversion is that it requires a constant source of motion in order to produce electricity. This can be a challenge in some environments, such as areas with low wind or water flow. Additionally, the initial cost of setting up the necessary equipment can be expensive.