Maxwell Kinetic Energy Distribution

In summary, you are trying to find the kinetic energy distribution amongst nitrogen molecules, but are not sure where to start. You posted a picture from your physics book where the formula is shown, but there was no example in the book. You then ask for the kinetic energy of a molecule between K and K+dK, which is just K. There is a distribution of ke values in any gas sample, so you first need to find the average kinetic energy of a molecule when you have a gas with temperature. You then ask for the fraction of molecules between two values, but that is not what you have asked for. You need to integrate equation 8-13 between E1 and E2 to find the fraction of molecules between two values
TeslaPow
I want to calculate the kinetic energy distribution amongst let's say nitrogen molecules by using M.K.E.D, but not sure where to start.
I posted a picturefrom my physics book where the formula is shown, there was no example in the book.

maxwell_kinetic_energy_distribution.jpg

As for g(K), is K the same as the kinetic energy formula Ktot = N[1/2m(v`^2)] = 3/2NKbT or 3/2KbT ?

Physics news on Phys.org
K there is the kinetic energy of a molecule, as you can tell by the scale of 10-21 J. You can use the molar kinetic energy if you replace kB in the formula by R = NAkB. Or total kinetic energy if you replace kB with nR.

So how do I proceed from here on how to calculate the kinect energy of a molecule between K and K+dK ?

K = 1/2*mv2. You can't use 3/2kBT because that's the mean kinetic energy of all the molecules in the sample.

The probability to find a molecule with kinetic energy between ##K## and ##K+\mathrm{d} K## is ##g(K) \mathrm{d} K##. So what's the average kinetic energy of a molecule when you have a gas with temperature ##T##?

vanhees71 said:
The probability to find a molecule with kinetic energy between ##K## and ##K+\mathrm{d} K## is ##g(K) \mathrm{d} K##. So what's the average kinetic energy of a molecule when you have a gas with temperature ##T##?
Exactly, but there's a derivation that needs to be done, and from previous experience the solution to this can be looked up at an integration table. Don't know what the solution is.

Solution to what? It's not clear what you're after. You first asked about calculating the kinetic energy distribution. You have it, it's g(K). Then you ask how to calculate the ke of a molecule between K and K+dK. It's K. You don't calculate it, it's just a value of ke. There is a distribution of ke values in any gas sample. K isn't a function of the properties of the gas or conditions. g(K) is. K is just a variable.

mjc123 said:
Solution to what? It's not clear what you're after. You first asked about calculating the kinetic energy distribution. You have it, it's g(K). Then you ask how to calculate the ke of a molecule between K and K+dK. It's K. You don't calculate it, it's just a value of ke. There is a distribution of ke values in any gas sample. K isn't a function of the properties of the gas or conditions. g(K) is. K is just a variable.

Here's an earlier thread I posted from the distribution of speeds,

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/maxwell-boltzmann-distribution.757539/post-4772356

Is the procedure similiar? Thanks for the engagement

STATE VERY SPECIFICALLY WHAT PROBLEM YOU'RE TRYING TO SOLVE. You've been asked to do that and haven't.

The thread you refer to suggests you're looking for how to integrate g(K). But read your earlier posts, that's not what you've asked for. You asked for the kinetic energy of a molecule between K and K+dK. That's just K. Did you mean you wanted the fraction of molecules with kinetic energy between K and K+dK? That's just g(K)dK. Do you want to find the fraction of molecules between two values K1 and K2? Integrate g(K)dK from K1 to K2.

Note that as KE = 1/2 mv2, the distribution of speeds is different from the distribution of energies. You used an error function before, but not here. g(K) has the form of a gamma distribution. The general form of a gamma distribution is
f(x; α,β) = xα-1α*ex/β/Γ(α)
Here α = 3/2 and β = kT

Thanks for your advice and patience, I want to find the fraction of molecules between two values:

maxwell_kinetic.jpg

So I just fill in the missing parameters in equation 8-14, by using E = 1/2*m*v^2 ?
What are the values of K1 (E1) and K2 (E2) in the definite integral?

There are no missing parameters in equation 8-14.
The values of E1 and E2 in the definite integral are 0 and ∞. You are also given the answer. Are you saying you want to integrate between two limits not equal to 0 and ∞?
This, however, gives you the average KE over that range. But you said you want to find the fraction of molecules between two values. For that you need to integrate equation 8-13 between E1 and E2 (and divide by N).

mjc123 said:
There are no missing parameters in equation 8-14.
The values of E1 and E2 in the definite integral are 0 and ∞. You are also given the answer. Are you saying you want to integrate between two limits not equal to 0 and ∞?
This, however, gives you the average KE over that range. But you said you want to find the fraction of molecules between two values. For that you need to integrate equation 8-13 between E1 and E2 (and divide by N).

So by looking at integral tables, integral-tables.com, which one is the right to use?

I'm not familiar with that website, but you can do it e.g. in Excel, using the gamma.dist function. For example, if you want the fraction of molecules with KE between K1 and K2, you would use the formula
=gamma.dist(K2, alpha, beta, true) - gamma.dist(K1, alpha, beta, true)
where K1 and K2 are your limiting energy values, K2 > K1
alpha = 1.5
beta = the value of kBT
"true" is the value of the variable CUMULATIVE

Alright, then I have an alternative to double check my answer. Thanks for your help.

Is there somebody who can help me with the integration for the maxwell kinetic energy equation in 8-13 with the fraction of molecules with KE between K1 and K2?

I have told you how to do it. What's your difficulty?

As your problem seems to be more mathematical (how to do an integration) than physical (understanding Maxwell's distribution), I suggest you post a question in the maths forum; you may get more appropriate help.

TeslaPow said:
Is there somebody who can help me with the integration for the maxwell kinetic energy equation in 8-13 with the fraction of molecules with KE between K1 and K2?
There is no analytical formulation for usch a definite integral. @mjc123 has explained how to do it with Excel. You can also do it with, e.g., WolframAlpha. Note that you need numerical values for K1 and K2.

Likes vanhees71
There is an anti-derivative to the Maxwell distribution function, i.e. a cumulative distribution function, but it is expressed in terms of the error function, another integral. But technically logarithms are defined as integrals so that, at least, is a better format.

Using the kinetic energy form the differential probability density is:
[tex] d\rho = g(K)dK = \frac{2}{\sqrt{\pi}} E_T^{-3/2}K^{1/2}e^{-K/E_T} dK[/tex]
where [itex] E_T = k_B T[/itex] is the thermal energy factor.

Converting to unitless kinetic energy factor [itex] u= K/E_T[/itex] gives:
[tex] d\rho = \frac{2}{\sqrt{\pi}} u^{1/2} e^{-u}du[/tex]

Integrating once by parts and performing another substitution, [itex] u=t^2[/itex] on the remaining integral term will yield a Gaussian integral equivalent to the error function. So i.t.o. the error function you should get:
[tex] \rho - \rho_0 = \text{erf}(\sqrt{u}) - \frac{2}{\sqrt{\pi}}u^{1/2}e^{-u}[/tex]

You should double-check my work by differentiating this (looking up erf) and verify it is the correct anti-derivative, and also checking my earlier substitutions.

What is Maxwell Kinetic Energy Distribution?

Maxwell Kinetic Energy Distribution is a statistical model used to describe the distribution of kinetic energy among particles in a gas at a given temperature.

What is the significance of Maxwell Kinetic Energy Distribution?

Maxwell Kinetic Energy Distribution is significant because it provides a theoretical basis for understanding the behavior of gases and predicting their properties, such as pressure and temperature.

How does Maxwell Kinetic Energy Distribution relate to the kinetic theory of gases?

Maxwell Kinetic Energy Distribution is a direct consequence of the kinetic theory of gases, which states that gas particles are in constant random motion and have a distribution of kinetic energies.

What factors affect the shape of the Maxwell Kinetic Energy Distribution curve?

The shape of the Maxwell Kinetic Energy Distribution curve is affected by the temperature of the gas, the mass of the gas particles, and the speed distribution of the particles.

How is Maxwell Kinetic Energy Distribution experimentally verified?

Maxwell Kinetic Energy Distribution can be experimentally verified through various techniques, such as measuring the speed distribution of gas particles using a spectrometer or analyzing the velocity of particles in a gas using a laser beam.