Can a bounded subsequence have infinitely many convergent subsequences?

In summary, a bounded sequence can have infinitely many convergent subsequences, and even uncountably many in some cases. This is because the rationals are dense in the real numbers, allowing for a convergent subsequence for every real number in the bounded range.
Szichedelic
I'm not sure if I am confusing myself or not, but a friend and I were trying to figure this out. Basically, I know that if a sequence is bounded, we are guaranteed at least one convergent subsequences. However, is it possible for a bounded sequence to have infinitely many of such subsequences?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes: 1, 1, 1/2, 1, 1/2, 1/3, 1, 1/2, 1/3, 1/4, 1, 1/2, 1/3, 1/4, 1/5, ...

1/n is a convergent subsequence limit for every n.

A bounded sequence can actually have uncountably many ([itex]2^{\aleph_0}[/itex]) convergent subsequences. In particular, for each i in N, let {xi,n} be an enumeration of the rational numbers in [0,1]. Then consider the sequence:

x1,1, x1,2, x2,1, x1,3, x2,2, x3,1, ...

That is, enumerate all the xi,n such that i+n = 2, then all elements such that i+n = 3, then all elements such that i+n = 4, and so on. Since the rationals are dense in R, this gives us a convergent subsequence for every real number in [0,1].

Last edited:

1. What is a bounded subsequence?

A bounded subsequence is a sequence of numbers within a larger sequence that is limited or confined within a certain range. This means that the values of the subsequence are not allowed to exceed a certain upper or lower bound.

2. Can a bounded subsequence have infinitely many convergent subsequences?

Yes, a bounded subsequence can have infinitely many convergent subsequences. This is because a bounded subsequence can contain a repeating pattern of values that can result in multiple subsequences converging to different limits.

3. What determines the number of convergent subsequences in a bounded subsequence?

The number of convergent subsequences in a bounded subsequence is determined by the complexity and arrangement of the values within the subsequence. A more complex and varied subsequence can result in a greater number of convergent subsequences.

4. Is a bounded subsequence always guaranteed to have at least one convergent subsequence?

No, a bounded subsequence is not always guaranteed to have at least one convergent subsequence. This depends on the specific values and arrangement of the subsequence. In some cases, the subsequence may not have any convergent subsequences.

5. How is the convergence of a subsequence determined?

The convergence of a subsequence is determined by the limiting behavior of its values. If the values of the subsequence approach a specific limit as the number of terms increases, then the subsequence is considered convergent. Otherwise, it is considered divergent.