Lemma: Extracting a convergent subsequence

In summary: But there are infinitely many indices. The proof does not require a specification of what the indices are, beyond the fact that they are an infinite number of them. The specification of the indices is a proof of the existence of the indices. I think that is why you are having trouble following the proof. There are infinitely many indices, but we do not know what they are. But we know they are there because they are an infinite number of them. So the statement of the problem is not misguided, but your interpretation of the proof is misguided.
Hall
Homework Statement
Given a sequence ##(s_n)##
(i) If ##t## is in ##R##, then there is a subsequence of ##(s_n)## converging to ##t##
if and only if the set ##\{n \in N : |s_n − t| \lt \varepsilon\}## is infinite for all
ε > 0.
Relevant Equations
We shall see.
Let's us look at the first implication (I will post the reverse implication once this proof has been verified). We have to prove if there is a subsequence of ##(s_n)## converging to ##t##, then there are infinitely many elements of ##(s_n)## lying within ##\epsilon## of ##t##, for any ##\varepsilon \gt 0##.

Let the subsequence be ##(t_k)## which converges to ##t##. ## \lim t_n = t##. So, for any ##\epsilon \gt 0## there is a ##N##, such that
$$
k \gt N \implies |t_k - t| \lt \varepsilon$$
that means that there are infinite ##t_k ~s## satisfying ##t- \varepsilon \lt t_k \lt t+ \varepsilon##, given that ##k \gt N##.

As for every ##t_k## in ##(t_k)## corresponds to a ##s_n## in ##(s_n)##, therefore, if there are infinite ##t_k## satisfying
$$
t- \varepsilon \lt t_k \lt t+\varepsilon$$
then there are infinite ##s_n## satisfying ##t -\varepsilon \lt s_n \lt t+ \varepsilon##. Thus, the set ##\{ n \in N : |s_n -t| \lt \varepsilon\}## is infinite.

Is my proof correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hall said:
Homework Statement:: Given a sequence ##(s_n)##
(i) If ##t## is in ##R##, then there is a subsequence of ##(s_n)## converging to ##t##
if and only if the set ##\{n \in N : |s_n − t| \lt \varepsilon\}## is infinite for all
ε > 0.
Relevant Equations:: We shall see.

Let's us look at the first implication (I will post the reverse implication once this proof has been verified). We have to prove if there is a subsequence of ##(s_n)## converging to ##t##, then there are infinitely many elements of ##(s_n)## lying within ##\epsilon## of ##t##, for any ##\varepsilon \gt 0##.
This is wrong in a subtle way. Look carefully at the statement of the problem. There might not be infinitely many distinct elements ##s_n##, they might be the same ##s_i## repeated over and over. But there are an infinite number of indices, n. That is different.

Now, the backward implication:

Given that the set ##\{n \in N : |s_n -t| \lt \varepsilon\}## is infinite for all ##\epsilon##, we have to prove that there exits a subsequence which converges to ##t##.

Proof: Take ##t_1 \in \left( t-1, t+1\right)##, and if ##t_k \in \left( t- 1/k, t+ 1/k\right)## then ##t_{k+1} \in \left(t-1/(k+1), t+1/(k+1\right)##. The subsequence ##(t_k)##, thus defined, gets closer and closer to ##t## and hence
we can write
$$
\lim t_n = t
$$

Hall said:
Now, the backward implication:

Given that the set ##\{n \in N : |s_n -t| \lt \varepsilon\}## is infinite for all ##\epsilon##, we have to prove that there exits a subsequence which converges to ##t##.

Proof: Take ##t_1 \in \left( t-1, t+1\right)##, and if ##t_k \in \left( t- 1/k, t+ 1/k\right)## then ##t_{k+1} \in \left(t-1/(k+1), t+1/(k+1\right)##. The subsequence ##(t_k)##, thus defined, gets closer and closer to ##t## and hence
we can write
$$
\lim t_n = t
$$
You have to prove that these ##t_k##s exist.
You have not addressed the issue that I mentioned in your first "proof". The sequence 1,1,1,1,1,1,1,... converges to 1, but there is only a single distinct element in the series. You should fix your first proof. You should also look carefully at your definition of a limit to see if it guarantees an infinite number of something within an ##\epsilon## distance or only one. In your proof, you should state what your definition of a limit guarantees.

You might think that I am being picky, but the whole purpose of you doing these proofs is for you to learn to be picky about the details.

Last edited:
FactChecker said:
This is wrong in a subtle way. Look carefully at the statement of the problem. There might not be infinitely many distinct elements ##s_n##, they might be the same ##s_i## repeated over and over. But there are an infinite number of indices, n. That is different.
I'm not seeing how your example constitutes a subsequence of ##\{s_n\}##. In other words, ##\{s_1, s_1, s_1, \dots\}## is not a subsequence of ##\{s_1, s_2, s_3, \dots\}##.

vela said:
I'm not seeing how your example constitutes a subsequence of ##\{s_n\}##. In other words, ##\{s_1, s_1, s_1, \dots\}## is not a subsequence of ##\{s_1, s_2, s_3, \dots\}##.
If ##s_i=s_1, \forall i##, then there is only one element but there are infinite indices. That is why the problem statement talks about the indices rather than the elements.

Hmm, perhaps your point is too subtle for me. I get that @Hall didn't actually prove the set given in the problem is infinite, but I still don't see what the possible non-uniqueness of the elements of the sequence has to do with it.

vela said:
Hmm, perhaps your point is too subtle for me. I get that @Hall didn't actually prove the set given in the problem is infinite, but I still don't see what the possible non-uniqueness of the elements of the sequence has to do with it.
With the problem as stated, there is no issue. It asks for an infinite number of indices. Unfortunately, the proof proposed in the post changed the statement to say there were an infinite number of elements. That is wrong. There might only be one element, repeated an infinite number of times. So the set only has one element. I think my point was missed.

I guess you're saying that the sequence (1, 1, 1, 1,…) has only one element whereas I would consider it to have an infinite number of elements because the order matters.

vela said:
I guess you're saying that the sequence (1, 1, 1, 1,…) has only one element whereas I would consider it to have an infinite number of elements because the order matters.
I would say that the set has only one element, no matter how many times it appears. That is why the statement of the problem talks about the number of indices, not the number of elements.

Likes Hall

1. What is a convergent subsequence?

A convergent subsequence is a subset of a sequence that approaches a specific limit as the number of terms in the subset increases. In other words, the terms in the subsequence get closer and closer to a certain value as the sequence progresses.

2. Why is extracting a convergent subsequence important?

Extracting a convergent subsequence is important because it allows us to identify a specific value that the original sequence is approaching. This can be useful in various mathematical and scientific applications, such as finding the limit of a function or determining the behavior of a system over time.

3. How do you extract a convergent subsequence?

To extract a convergent subsequence, you need to first identify a convergent sequence. Then, you can use a method such as the Bolzano-Weierstrass theorem or the Cauchy criterion to show that the sequence has a convergent subsequence. Finally, you can use this information to extract the subsequence by choosing specific terms from the original sequence.

4. Can a sequence have more than one convergent subsequence?

Yes, a sequence can have multiple convergent subsequences. This is because there may be multiple values that the sequence is approaching as it progresses. In this case, each of these values would correspond to a different convergent subsequence.

5. What is the difference between a convergent subsequence and a limit?

A convergent subsequence is a subset of a sequence that approaches a specific limit, while a limit is the value that a sequence approaches as the number of terms in the sequence increases. In other words, a limit is the value that the entire sequence is approaching, while a convergent subsequence is a smaller subset of the sequence that is also approaching a specific value.