Can a capacitor discharge as a result of being struck?

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential effects of physically hitting a large dielectric capacitor on the verge of discharge. It is mentioned that the impact could potentially lower the capacitance, leading to an increase in voltage. However, it is also noted that the impact could potentially increase the capacitance if it reduces the dielectric thickness. The type of impact, whether it be a light tap or a more forceful hit, could also affect the discharge process, with a puncture or deformation potentially causing a discharge. The concept of dielectric strength is also brought up as a factor in the discharge process.
emrock
TL;DR Summary
I am curious if a large capacitor on the verge of discharge could be put over the edge by physically hitting it.
I am curious if a large dielectric capacitor on the verge of discharge could be put over the edge by physically hitting it.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

Definition; capacitance = charge / voltage.
If the impact lowers the capacitance then the voltage must increase.

But I would expect an impact to reduce the dielectric thickness, which would increase the capacitance, so lower the voltage.

But it is possible that physical oscillation could rebound to lower capacitance momentarily.

Likes emrock and sophiecentaur
Depends on what you mean by "hitting it". A light tap, mighty hit with a large object or putting a bullet through.
!: light tap i would expect no effect. 2; Mighty hit would deform or puncture I would expect it to discharge in a fashion dependent on its size. 3: bullet(or metal rod puncture) would discharge as per previous.

Likes emrock
What do you mean by discharge? An arc through the dielectric? This has as much to do with dielectric strength (when abused?) as it has to do with capacitance. It will of course depend entirely on what sort of dielectric and what is done to it.

Likes emrock and berkeman

1. Can a capacitor discharge on its own?

Yes, a capacitor can discharge on its own if it is connected to a circuit or if it has a high enough voltage to break down its dielectric material.

2. How can a capacitor be discharged?

A capacitor can be discharged by connecting its two terminals together or by connecting it to a resistor or other load. It can also discharge through its own internal leakage resistance over time.

3. Can a capacitor discharge as a result of being struck by an external force?

Yes, a capacitor can discharge as a result of being struck by an external force if the force is strong enough to cause a short circuit between its terminals or if it damages the dielectric material.

4. Is it dangerous to be near a capacitor that has been struck?

It depends on the size and type of capacitor. Small capacitors used in electronic devices typically do not store enough energy to cause harm. However, large capacitors used in power systems can store a significant amount of energy and can be dangerous if not handled properly.

5. How can I safely discharge a capacitor that has been struck?

The safest way to discharge a capacitor is to use a resistor or other load to drain the energy slowly. You can also short-circuit the capacitor by connecting its two terminals together, but this should only be done with caution and proper safety measures in place.