Can a Center Tapped LC Circuit Reduce Potential Difference Across the Inductor?

In summary, the objective is to create an LC circuit with a lower potential difference across the inductor than the capacitor, using a spark gap. It is unclear if this will work and if the resonant frequency will be the same as in a conventional circuit. Some uncertainty remains due to the presence of a power transformer in the circuit that may not function for radio frequency. Further investigation is needed.
Samson4
My objective is to make a lc circuit that will have a potential difference across the inductor that is lower than that of the capacitor. A spark gap must also be used. Will this work and will the resonant frequency be the same as if it was wired conventionally?
lc circuit.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
Samson4 said:
My objective is to make a lc circuit that will have a potential difference across the inductor that is lower than that of the capacitor. A spark gap must also be used. Will this work and will the resonant frequency be the same as if it was wired conventionally?
View attachment 95827
For a resonant LC circuit, the voltage across the inductor will always equal that across the inductor. I think your circuit is flawed, although I am not certain if you are indicating a power transformer at the bottom, or an RF transformer of some sort.

tech99 said:
For a resonant LC circuit, the voltage across the inductor will always equal that across the inductor. I think your circuit is flawed, although I am not certain if you are indicating a power transformer at the bottom, or an RF transformer of some sort.
It is a transformer. So such a circuit is impossible?

As it stands at the moment, you are asking radio frequency current to flow through a power transformer.
I think that, in principle, a resonant circuit could have an RF transformer between L and C, but I am still unsure about your circuit configuration because the transformer cannot function for RF.

Likes Samson4
I see what you are saying now. I'll look into it further and be back. Thank you for your responses..

1. What is a Center Tapped LC Circuit?

A Center Tapped LC Circuit is an electrical circuit that consists of an inductor (L) and a capacitor (C) connected in parallel with a center tap on the inductor. This center tap divides the inductor into two equal halves, creating a symmetrical circuit.

2. How does a Center Tapped LC Circuit work?

The center tap on the inductor creates two separate inductors, each with half the value of the original inductor. This results in a higher resonant frequency and a narrower bandwidth. The capacitor and inductor work together to create a resonant circuit, allowing for efficient energy transfer between the two components.

3. What is the purpose of a Center Tapped LC Circuit?

A Center Tapped LC Circuit is commonly used in radio frequency (RF) applications for tuning and filtering purposes. It can also be used in power supplies to provide a stable output voltage or in audio circuits for frequency selection.

4. What are the advantages of a Center Tapped LC Circuit?

The main advantage of a Center Tapped LC Circuit is its ability to provide a high Q factor, which is a measure of efficiency in energy transfer. This allows for a more precise and selective frequency response. Additionally, the center tap allows for easy adjustment of the resonant frequency by varying the number of turns on each side of the inductor.

5. What are the limitations of a Center Tapped LC Circuit?

One limitation of a Center Tapped LC Circuit is its narrow bandwidth, which means it can only efficiently transfer energy at a specific resonant frequency. This can be a disadvantage in applications where a wider frequency range is needed. Additionally, the inductor and capacitor values must be carefully chosen to ensure proper resonance, which can be challenging in some circuit designs.