Can a fireplace be used as a fallout shelter?

In summary, fallout shelters are supposed to protect you from gamma ray exposure. The damper is a vulnerability, and if you are far enough away from a major city, you may not be able to stay in your fallout shelter.
Mike S.
In 2020 we wondered if we could use socks as filter masks. In 2021 we wondered if we could use Chromebooks as computers. And in 2022...

But seriously, fallout shelters are supposed to protect against "skyshine", gamma rays from disintegrating isotopes in a Doomsday Shroud in the atmosphere. Ideally, you dig under two or more feet of dirt, but if you don't happen to be a loony doomsday prepper and now tomorrow's weather is rain with a chance of falling H-bombs...

I'm thinking the masonry ought to offer some protection. The damper is a vulnerability - almost certainly hit you with some kind of brehmsstrahlung from radiation from directly overhead. But is that enough to matter? And then of course there's the hole in the front, which has view of a lot of horizon.

All told, is decamping to the fireplace to wait out the initial radiation going to be worth suffering the cramped quarters for the last few days of your life?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mike S. said:
In 2020 we wondered if we could use socks as filter masks. In 2021 we wondered if we could use Chromebooks as computers. And in 2022...

But seriously, fallout shelters are supposed to protect against "skyshine", gamma rays from disintegrating isotopes in a Doomsday Shroud in the atmosphere. Ideally, you dig under two or more feet of dirt, but if you don't happen to be a loony doomsday prepper and now tomorrow's weather is rain with a chance of falling H-bombs...

I'm thinking the masonry ought to offer some protection. The damper is a vulnerability - almost certainly hit you with some kind of brehmsstrahlung from radiation from directly overhead. But is that enough to matter? And then of course there's the hole in the front, which has view of a lot of horizon.

All told, is decamping to the fireplace to wait out the initial radiation going to be worth suffering the cramped quarters for the last few days of your life?
Against the blast if you are far enough away from a major city but then what?
Is this because of Ukraine? Russia have about 7000 nuclear weapons, 7800? It's enough to annihilate the infrastructure of everything you have become accustomed to.
Let's hope this situation (which I have not commented on) either de-escalates or settles down to some sort of civil/guerilla war without nuclear involvement.
Not so great for that country unfortunately.
Edit. It is in the middle of the house so if you are far enough away and protected all the rest of the house then why not.
If you can find this on line I recommend it.

Last edited:
I was only thinking of the initial period of "skyshine", not long term contamination of water & food sources. Humans are made out of meat ... maybe the Russians will send us food?

Is it April 1st already?

• Love
Likes russ_watters, berkeman, nsaspook and 1 other person

Not recommended ...

Likes russ_watters
I wasn't suggesting using the top of the chimney, nor seeking sanctuary at the North Pole. Though having some lady stuck in the opening could help to keep fallout-laced rain from coming in and dripping through the damper.

Thread is done.

Likes hutchphd

1. Can a fireplace be used as a fallout shelter?

No, a fireplace cannot be used as a fallout shelter. While it may provide some protection from fallout, it is not a suitable long-term shelter and does not meet the necessary requirements for a fallout shelter.

2. What are the necessary requirements for a fallout shelter?

A fallout shelter should be underground or heavily shielded to protect against radiation. It should also have enough space for the number of people it is intended to shelter, as well as food, water, and medical supplies to sustain them for an extended period of time.

3. Can a fireplace provide any protection from radiation?

Yes, a fireplace can provide some protection from radiation. The brick or stone materials used in the construction of a fireplace can act as a shield against radiation. However, it is not enough to provide adequate protection for a long period of time.

4. Are there any alternatives to using a fireplace as a fallout shelter?

Yes, there are many alternatives to using a fireplace as a fallout shelter. Some options include building an underground shelter, using a basement or cellar, or purchasing a pre-made shelter. It is important to research and carefully consider all options before choosing a fallout shelter.

5. What should I do if I do not have access to a suitable fallout shelter?

If you do not have access to a suitable fallout shelter, it is important to follow emergency preparedness guidelines and seek shelter in the safest location available. This could include a basement, cellar, or an interior room with no windows. It is also important to have a plan in place for obtaining food, water, and medical supplies in the event of a nuclear disaster.

Back