Can a Free 2 Axis Gyro Model Account for Contact with a Stop?

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a detailed model of a cross-coupled, two-axis gyro that includes disturbance torques. The speaker has managed to create a gyro model that incorporates classical effects and properties, but is now stuck on how to model the situation where the non-rotating axis comes into contact with a stop. They are looking for a realistic way to model this scenario.
MikeO
I want to model a free 2 axis free gyro. I used to have a very detailed model, but cannot find it. It was cross coupled, and included many disturbance torques. All I am looking for is a great source on this topic. Thanks!

Mike

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi again. I have managed to put together a gyro model that incorporates all of the classical effects/properties. The flywheel is a magnet so I can spin it and precess it with electromagnetic fields. Works great!

But now I am stuck. Imagine that the axis which the flywheel spins on comes into contact with something (a stop). This is done to keep the gyro pitching and yawing within a limited range. What happens when the non-rotating axis touches the stop? How to model? Clearly, if the gyro was precessing (in pitch), then the pitch body rotation will come to a stop. I am looking for a realistic way to model this.

Thanks

What is a High Fidelity 2 Axis Gyro?

A High Fidelity 2 Axis Gyro is a type of gyroscope that measures angular velocity or rotation around two different axes. It is commonly used in navigation, robotics, and other applications that require precise measurements of angular movement.

How does a High Fidelity 2 Axis Gyro work?

A High Fidelity 2 Axis Gyro uses a spinning rotor to detect changes in angular velocity. As the gyro rotates, it experiences a force that is perpendicular to its axis of rotation. This force can be measured and used to determine the rate of rotation around the two axes.

What are the benefits of using a High Fidelity 2 Axis Gyro?

One of the main benefits of using a High Fidelity 2 Axis Gyro is its accuracy. This type of gyro can provide precise measurements of angular movement, making it useful in applications where accuracy is crucial. It is also compact and lightweight, making it suitable for use in small devices.

What are the common applications of a High Fidelity 2 Axis Gyro?

A High Fidelity 2 Axis Gyro is commonly used in navigation systems, such as in airplanes and drones, to measure and track changes in orientation. It is also used in robotics for motion control and stabilization, and in virtual reality systems for head tracking.

Are there any limitations to using a High Fidelity 2 Axis Gyro?

One limitation of using a High Fidelity 2 Axis Gyro is that it can only measure rotation around two axes. This means that it cannot provide a complete picture of an object's orientation in three-dimensional space. Additionally, gyros can be affected by external factors such as vibration and magnetic fields, which can impact their accuracy.