Can a great PGRE make up for otherwise mediocre stats?

• Thread starter creepypasta13
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pgre Stats
In summary, the conversation discusses the importance of the Physics GRE (PGRE) in the admissions process for top graduate schools. While some believe it has no relevance, others consider it to be very important. The idea of "making up" for deficiencies in other areas with a high PGRE score is debated, as the committee looks at the overall strength of the application. Some schools have a point system formula for evaluating applications, but it varies by school and cannot guarantee admission. Overall, a strong application in all areas is necessary for admission to top schools.
creepypasta13
I've heard mixed opinions regarding the importance of the PGRE. I heard from some that the PGRE has no relevance at all, as some profs on the admissions committee don't even LOOK at it. However, I've of course heard from others that its very important

I've heard plenty of people with great stats but a poor PGRE, but not really the other way around. Which is, would having a great PGRE score make up for an otherwise mediocre application? For example, getting an PGRE 850+, with otherwise mediocre stats such as 3.6 gpa, avg LORs, avg general GRE, no publications, top 5 state school?

Physics news on Phys.org
A high GRE score will help.

The idea that you can "make up for" some other area of the application makes it sound like there is some sort of point system. That's not the case. The committee looks at the applications and discusses them.

A high GRE score will help, but there is no way that your performance on a 3 hour test can make up for your performance in a 4 year undergraduate program.

(Generally speaking... I wouldn't call 3.6 terrible by any means, it's just not top of the class.)

Since I was hoping to get admitted by the top 10 schools, I'm sure a 3.6 doesn't look great, so that's why I hoped a great PGRE could make up for that

Top 10 school applicants will have good PGREs as well as strong GPAs.

Vanadium 50 said:
A high GRE score will help.

The idea that you can "make up for" some other area of the application makes it sound like there is some sort of point system. That's not the case. The committee looks at the applications and discusses them.

When I was on a committee, we actually DID have a point system formula (which I couldn't divulge the "formula" now even if I wanted to, seeing as this was about 5 years ago). Three committee members reviewed each application and also put in a readers' scores that were factored into the formula. After people were "ranked" by the system, we started at the top looking at providing support, etc. The process therefore went quickly until we started to look at the cutoff point (where some small adjustments to the ranking were very occasionally made depending on research area, etc.)... but generally a firm cutoff was set.

That being said... even for schools with point-system per-say, the systems will vary by school, so a precise answer to "can I get in" can never be made... especially since it also definitely depends on who else applies to that school that year.

That also being said, I generally agree that to be admitted to a top ten school you need to have a great application in all areas. You generally can't "make up" for deficiencies in the application when you're talking about these programs.

1. Can a high PGRE score compensate for a low GPA?

It is possible for a high PGRE score to help offset a low GPA, as it demonstrates a strong understanding of physics concepts. However, a high GPA is also an important factor in graduate school admissions, and a low GPA may still be a red flag for admissions committees.

2. Will a good PGRE score make up for a lack of research experience?

A good PGRE score can certainly enhance your application, but research experience is also highly valued in graduate school admissions. It shows that you have practical experience in applying physics concepts and skills, which is important for success in graduate school.

3. Is a high PGRE score more important than strong letters of recommendation?

Both a high PGRE score and strong letters of recommendation are important for graduate school admissions. While a high PGRE score demonstrates your knowledge and abilities in physics, letters of recommendation provide insight into your character and potential for success in a graduate program.

4. Can a good PGRE score make up for a lack of extracurricular activities?

Extracurricular activities can be beneficial to your graduate school application as they show your involvement and leadership skills outside of academia. While a good PGRE score can certainly help your application, admissions committees may also value well-rounded applicants with diverse experiences.

5. Does a high PGRE score guarantee admission to a top physics program?

A high PGRE score is a strong indicator of your aptitude for physics, but it is not the only factor considered in graduate school admissions. Other factors, such as research experience, personal statement, and letters of recommendation, also play a role in the admissions process. Therefore, a high PGRE score does not guarantee admission to a top physics program.