Can a Klyshko photon be blocked?

• Thread starter .Scott
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Photon
In summary, David Klyshko was a physicist who argued that a little "Klyshko photon" is emitted before the large photon reaches the down converter. This is testable and would be an interesting discovery if it exists.
.Scott
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Back in October, while contributing to a thread in this forum, I ran into an interesting description of a entanglement/double slit interference experiment. One of the contributors cited a 1999 "Reviews of Modern Physics" article. This remark is made on page S290:
This experiment can be understood intuitively if we carefully analyze what registration of a photon behind a double slit implies. It simply means that the state incident on the double slit is collapsed into a wave packet with the appropriate momentum distribution such that the wave packet peaks at both slits. By virtue of the strong momentum entanglement at the source, the other wave packet then has a related momentum distribution which actually is, according to an argument put forward by Klyshko (1988), the time reversal of the other wave packet. Thus, photon 1 appears to originate backwards from the double slit assembly and is then considered to be reflected by the wave fronts of the pump beam into the beam towards the lens which then simply realizes the standard Fraunhofer observation
conditions.
Let me see if I can explain this more simply. If we call that "time reversal" photon a "Klyshko photon", then what David Klyshko was "arguing" in some other 1988 article (that I have not located) was that before the big photon reaches the down-converter and splits into two entangled little photons, a little "Klyshko photon" is emitted from the experiment to meet the big photon at the down-converter. To be clear, this is a thoroughly bizarre notion that could not possibly exist in classical mechanics - and it's not clear that the author even considers it "real". In fact, I'm not even certain that David Klyshko considered it real.

But it is testable and I would love to know if anyone has ever checked it. If you put a shutter in the apparatus so that the path of the Klyshko photo is blocked only at the moment when the Klyshko photo would be reaching that shutter, would you still be able to retrieve the interference pattern that is collected in that experiment?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure I follow exactly, but that K photon would be time reversed so that the arrival at the shutter would occur the same as one traveling forward in time. In other words, it would not lend itself to a testable prediction.

Down conversion is considered more or less time reversal of up conversion. And vice versa.

DrChinese said:
Not sure I follow exactly, but that K photon would be time reversed so that the arrival at the shutter would occur the same as one traveling forward in time. In other words, it would not lend itself to a testable prediction.

Down conversion is considered more or less time reversal of up conversion. And vice versa.
The shutter would be some distance (perhaps 30cm) away from the converter. So you would close the shutter before the large photon reached the converter and open it before the regular small photon reached the shutter. You would need to be able to switch the shutter back on within about a nanosecond. I don't know if there are electronic shutters that operate that quickly. But if not, there are probably other ways to configure the experiment.

The fact that the shutter is closed only when the main photon has yet to reach the first part of the experimental setup is what would make the effect (if it exists) especially bizarre.

.Scott said:
The shutter would be some distance (perhaps 30cm) away from the converter. So you would close the shutter before the large photon reached the converter and open it before the regular small photon reached the shutter. ...

The 2 arrive at that shutter at exactly the same time because one is time reversed (coming backwards from the future).

Likes 1 person
DrChinese said:
The 2 arrive at that shutter at exactly the same time because one is time reversed (coming backwards from the future).
Ahhh. So the time reversal is only for the purpose of imagining the small photon is traveling in the right direction, carrying information back in time. It isn't to suggest that there is another virtual photon.

Thanks.

Vaidman already presented these results at a conference last year. While they are nice, his two-state vector formalism does not add anything new from the conceptional point of view. You get the same results from standard quantum mechanics (as Vaidman also acknowledges in that paper). The really good thing about his two-state vector formalism is that it is so simple you can teach it to your dog. Some people in quantum optics simply prefer it because their undergrads can evaluate a moderately complicated setup in a rather short time using the two-state vector formalism, while it is not so obvious what will happen when using the standard approach.

Does it apply just to optics or to particles as well?

Particles as well. It is just one special kind of time-symmetric interpretation and goes back to the 1920s. If I remember correctly, Schottky suggested it first.

1. Can a Klyshko photon be blocked?

Yes, a Klyshko photon can be blocked. Blocking a Klyshko photon refers to the process of preventing it from reaching its intended destination or interfering with its path. This can be achieved through various methods, such as using optical barriers or manipulating the environment to redirect the photon's trajectory.

2. What is a Klyshko photon?

A Klyshko photon is a type of photon that is entangled with another photon and exhibits non-classical behavior. It is named after physicist Alexander Klyshko, who first proposed the concept in the 1980s. Klyshko photons play a crucial role in quantum entanglement experiments and have potential applications in quantum communication and computing.

3. How is a Klyshko photon different from a regular photon?

A Klyshko photon is different from a regular photon in that it is entangled with another photon and exhibits non-classical behavior. This means that its properties, such as polarization and direction of travel, are not determined until it is measured. In contrast, regular photons behave according to classical physics laws and their properties can be predicted with certainty.

4. Can a Klyshko photon be observed directly?

No, a Klyshko photon cannot be observed directly. This is because observation or measurement of a Klyshko photon would collapse its quantum state and destroy its entanglement with the other photon. Therefore, indirect methods are used to study and manipulate Klyshko photons, such as through interference patterns or correlations with other entangled photons.

5. What are the potential applications of Klyshko photons?

Klyshko photons have potential applications in quantum communication and computing. Since they are entangled with another photon, they could be used for secure quantum key distribution, where the key is encoded in the entangled state. They also have the potential to be used in quantum gates for quantum computing, as their non-classical behavior can be harnessed for performing complex operations.