Can a Lightweight Hydraulic Car Jack Be a Viable School Project Idea?

In summary, the person is looking for ideas for their mechanical engineering school project. The project must include at least two of the following: machining, welding, automatisation, or assembly. It must also be able to be completed within the semester. They do not want to make an engine, but are considering making a lightweight hydraulic car jack using a double piston design.
Ludapower
I'm looking for some ideas for my mechanical engineering school project.
It can be anything but needs to have at least two of the following:
Machining
Welding
Automatisation
Assembly

Also it must be entirely realisable during the semester.

Really not looking at making stirling engines or any type of engine right now as everyone seems to be doing that.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Ludapower said:
I'm looking for some ideas for my mechanical engineering school project.
It can be anything but needs to have at least two of the following:
Machining
Welding
Automatisation
Assembly

Also it must be entirely realisable during the semester.

Really not looking at making stirling engines or any type of engine right now as everyone seems to be doing that.

Welcome to the PF. There are some "Similar Threads" links at the bottom of the page that may help, and you could also do a search in this ME forum for threads with "project" in the title. That may bring up some ideas.

If not an engine, how about a safe? Or some other kind of lock? Or a bicycle from scratch? Make a "Jaws of Life", starting with a chainsaw engine as the power source. Or a 1/32 scale elevator...

Yeah I thought I was logged in earlier and was wondering why there was no search function. I just found a lot of stuff actually, thanks for the help.

I was actually thinking of making a lightweight hydraulic car jack. We (me and my partner) were hoping on making a double piston one but we've had no luck in actually finding a double piston hydraulic hand jack. All I've found are single piston ones.

1. What are some good sources for finding project ideas for school?

There are many sources for finding project ideas for school, such as science magazines, educational websites, and science fairs. You can also ask your teachers, classmates, or family members for suggestions. Additionally, brainstorming and observing your surroundings can also help generate project ideas.

2. How do I choose a project idea that is appropriate for my grade level and abilities?

It is important to choose a project idea that is appropriate for your grade level and abilities. You can start by considering your interests and strengths, and then narrowing down project ideas that align with them. It may also be helpful to discuss your ideas with your teacher to get their input and guidance.

3. Can I do a project that has already been done before?

While it is important to be original and creative, it is also okay to do a project that has been done before. However, it is important to add your own unique twist or approach to the project. This will showcase your individuality and problem-solving skills.

4. How do I make sure my project is scientifically valid?

To ensure the scientific validity of your project, it is important to follow the scientific method. This includes identifying a problem or question, researching and gathering background information, formulating a hypothesis, designing and conducting experiments, analyzing data, and drawing conclusions. Additionally, it is important to have a control group and to conduct multiple trials to increase the reliability of your results.

5. How can I make my project stand out and be successful?

To make your project stand out and be successful, it is important to be organized, thorough, and creative. Make sure to follow all guidelines and instructions, and pay attention to detail. Use visual aids and graphs to present your data and results. Additionally, be confident and enthusiastic about your project during presentations and discussions.