Can a microscopic insect fly by flapping rigid wings?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using flapping wings for movement in millimeter-scale flying robots. The speaker questions if this would still be effective for smaller robots with rigid wings due to the lower Reynolds number and the application of Purcell's scallop theorem. The possibility of using non-reciprocal motion and the number of degrees of freedom for rigid wings is also discussed. The conversation concludes by mentioning the smallest flying insect, the Kikiki, and its fuzzy wings.
Dishsoap
TL;DR Summary
Are insects at low Reynolds number capable of flying by flapping rigid wings?
While in quarantine, I've been reading a lot about some millimeter-scale flying robots, like DARPA's Nano Hummingbird and others. I'm noticing that a lot of millimeter-scale flying robots flap their wings like a fly, and I'm wondering if it's even possible to use this motion to move if the fly were much smaller (say, 10 microns in size) with rigid wings. In that case, the Reynolds number is much lower, and Purcell's scallop theorem dictates that non-reciprocal motion must be used to have a net motion forward (up, in this case).

That being said, I know virtually nothing about aerodynamics/flight, so I'm curious if there's a reason why the scallop theorem wouldn't apply to upwards motion (lift). Or, if it does, does this mean that flying microscale robots would have to essentially be a helicopter? I notice that this recent Nature paper on untethered flight has the wings flapping in the XY plane (where Z is up), I wonder if this is the reason.

Physics news on Phys.org
Dishsoap said:
I'm wondering if it's even possible to use this motion to move if the fly were much smaller (say, 10 microns in size) with rigid wings. In that case, the Reynolds number is much lower, and Purcell's scallop theorem dictates that non-reciprocal motion must be used to have a net motion forward (up, in this case).
Rigid wings don't imply reciprocal motion. It depends on how many degrees of freedom they have.

I had to look up the smallest flying insect, Kikiki, 0.15 mm, fuzzy wings.

1. Can a microscopic insect really fly with such small wings?

Yes, it is possible for a microscopic insect to fly using flapping rigid wings. Insects have evolved to have incredibly efficient wing structures that allow them to generate enough lift to fly, even with very small wings.

2. How do microscopic insects generate enough lift with their small wings?

Microscopic insects have specialized wing structures that allow them to generate lift through a combination of flapping and creating vortices in the air. These vortices create areas of low pressure above the wings, which helps to lift the insect off the ground.

3. Can microscopic insects control their flight with such small wings?

Yes, microscopic insects are able to control their flight using their small wings. They have a complex system of muscles and nerves that allow them to adjust the angle and speed of their wings to steer and maneuver in flight.

4. Are there any limitations to the flight capabilities of microscopic insects?

While microscopic insects are able to fly with their small wings, they do have some limitations. They are not able to fly in strong winds or high altitudes, and their flight is often limited to short distances.

5. How do scientists study the flight of microscopic insects?

Scientists use a variety of techniques to study the flight of microscopic insects, including high-speed cameras, wind tunnels, and computer simulations. They also use specialized equipment to measure the forces and movements of the insect's wings during flight.