Can a photon's energy be so high that it creates a black hole?

In summary, it is not possible for a photon to be so energetic that it forms a black hole, as its energy is frame-dependent. This means that different observers would measure the photon as having different amounts of energy. In addition, a photon has no reference frame, making it unable to form a frame-invariant object like a black hole.
Dragonfall
Is it possible for a photon to be so energetic that it forms a black hole?

If so, how fast would that black hole be moving?

Science news on Phys.org
Dragonfall said:
Is it possible for a photon to be so energetic that it forms a black hole?

It is not, as the energy of a photon is frame-dependent. An observer moving away from the emitter would measure the photon as having a lower amount of energy than an observer moving towards the emitter. In addition, a photon has no reference frame that we can assign to it.

Likes anorlunda
We need a mass to form a black hole

Drakkith said:
It is not, as the energy of a photon is frame-dependent.
Wow, I love PF because I learn every day from people like @Drakkith

Do I understand correctly that objects (like photons) with frame-dependent energy can not form a frame-invariant object (like a BH) seen by observers in all frames? None of my teachers ever mentioned that implication of frame-dependent versus frame-independent. It is so simple and profound.

anorlunda said:
Do I understand correctly that objects (like photons) with frame-dependent energy can not form a frame-invariant object (like a BH) seen by observers in all frames? None of my teachers ever mentioned that implication of frame-dependent versus frame-independent. It is so simple and profound.

That is my understanding, but I'm not formally educated in relativity. It's just something I also picked up here at PF. :biggrin:

It does make sense given that a cosmic ray proton traveling near the speed of light may see a massive star as having an staggeringly huge amount of kinetic energy. If the object's invariant mass was dependent on its kinetic energy, this star should collapse into a black hole. But it doesn't.

Likes Dragonfall

1. What is a black hole from a photon?

A black hole from a photon, also known as a photon sphere, is the area surrounding a black hole where the gravitational pull is so strong that even light cannot escape. This is the point of no return for anything that enters a black hole.

2. How is a black hole from a photon formed?

A black hole from a photon is formed when a massive star collapses under its own gravity. As the star collapses, it creates a singularity, which is an infinitely dense point in space. The photon sphere is formed at a specific distance from the singularity, where the gravitational pull is strong enough to trap photons.

3. What happens to light when it enters a black hole from a photon?

When light enters the photon sphere of a black hole, it becomes trapped and cannot escape. The intense gravity of the black hole bends the path of the light, causing it to orbit around the black hole multiple times before eventually being pulled into the singularity.

4. Can anything escape from a black hole from a photon?

No, once something enters the photon sphere of a black hole, it is impossible for it to escape. This includes light, as well as any matter or objects that may have been pulled into the black hole.

5. How do we study black holes from a photon if no light can escape?

While we cannot directly observe the photon sphere of a black hole, scientists can study the effects of the intense gravity on nearby objects, such as stars or gas, to infer the presence of a black hole. They can also use advanced telescopes and instruments to detect radiation and other emissions from the black hole's accretion disk, which is the swirling disk of matter surrounding the black hole.