Can a single photon be reflected by a mirror?

In summary, single photons are reflected or absorbed with certain probabilities when shot at a mirror. This behavior is consistent with the classical percentage of light that is reflected.
Ebi Rogha
TL;DR Summary
I understand mirrors absorb a small energy portion of the light and reflect most of it. What happens if we shoot a single photon to a mirror? Would it be reflected?
If the answer is Yes, then I would ask, if the mirror absorbs a portion of the energy of the photon, so the photon should simply stop existing because we cannot have a smaller package of light than a photon.

If the answer is No, then I would ask why a beam of light (which is made of a big number of photons) behaves differently.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ebi Rogha said:
Summary:: I understand mirrors absorb a small energy portion of the light and reflect most of it. What happens if we shoot a single photon to a mirror? Would it be reflected?
If you shoot single photons to a mirror: Statistically, some will be reflected, some will be transmitted through the mirror medium and some will be absorbed by the mirror medium.

Likes sophiecentaur
Ebi Rogha said:
Summary:: I understand mirrors absorb a small energy portion of the light and reflect most of it. What happens if we shoot a single photon to a mirror? Would it be reflected?

If the answer is Yes, then I would ask, if the mirror absorbs a portion of the energy of the photon, so the photon should simply stop existing because we cannot have a smaller package of light than a photon.

If the answer is No, then I would ask why a beam of light (which is made of a big number of photons) behaves differently.
A single photon is reflected or absorbed according to certain probabilities (as with everything in QM). In a beam of photons, some are reflected and some are absorbed.

Likes sophiecentaur, Vanadium 50, Ebi Rogha and 2 others
Ebi Rogha said:
What happens if we shoot a single photon to a mirror? Would it be reflected?
Maybe. There is a chance that it would and a chance that it wouldn’t. That chance (not coincidentally) is equal to the percentage of light that is reflected classically.

Likes sophiecentaur and Ebi Rogha

1. What is a single photon?

A single photon is the smallest unit of light, also known as a particle of light. It is a discrete packet of energy that behaves both as a wave and a particle.

2. How is a single photon produced?

A single photon can be produced through various processes, such as spontaneous emission from an excited atom or molecule, or through nonlinear optical processes like parametric down-conversion.

3. What happens when a single photon interacts with a mirror?

When a single photon interacts with a mirror, it can either be reflected or absorbed. The probability of reflection or absorption depends on the properties of the mirror, such as its reflectivity and surface roughness.

4. Can a single photon be split into two or more photons by a mirror?

No, a single photon cannot be split into two or more photons by a mirror. The interaction between a single photon and a mirror is a one-to-one process, meaning that only one photon is involved in the interaction.

5. What are the applications of studying single photons and mirrors?

Studying single photons and mirrors is important in the field of quantum optics, which has applications in quantum computing, quantum cryptography, and quantum sensing. It also helps in understanding the fundamental properties of light and its interactions with matter.