Can a Single Speaker Direct Low Frequencies? Exploring Options and Limitations

• I
  • Thread starter newaqua
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Frequencies
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of reflectors to direct lower frequencies of sound in a more focused beam rather than radiating in all directions. The group discusses the challenges of using a single speaker and the need for a large reflector to achieve this. There is also mention of using a horn tube loudspeaker or phased array to produce a doughnut pattern of directivity. The size of the reflector needed for 30-60Hz frequencies is noted to be quite large, and there is a question about using 1/4 or 1/2 wavelength width reflectors to reduce the size. It is also mentioned that sound at these low frequencies is more difficult to direct due to reflections from nearby objects.
newaqua
Hey everyone.
I have a couple of questions in regards to the direction of sound. I am wanting to direct lower frequencies (30-60Hz). When I say direct, I mean more of a beam rather than radiating out from the front of the speaker in all directions like a traditional wave.

I have been looking at placing the speaker in the focal point of a reflector, however to do this with lower frequencies you need a fairly large reflector from what I have read. I am trying to do this with a single speaker.

So my first question is in regards to the size of reflector for these lower frequencies, can it be half or quarter wave length? Is there a way to get around this limitation of the size of the reflector?

My second question is what is the ideal size of speaker for lower frequencies? Is there a relationship between the size/diameter of the speaker and a specific wavelength?

Does anyone else have ideas for directing low frequencies with single speakers?

Any thoughts or input would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
newaqua said:
Hey everyone.
I have a couple of questions in regards to the direction of sound. I am wanting to direct lower frequencies (30-60Hz). When I say direct, I mean more of a beam rather than radiating out from the front of the speaker in all directions like a traditional wave.

I have been looking at placing the speaker in the focal point of a reflector, however to do this with lower frequencies you need a fairly large reflector from what I have read. I am trying to do this with a single speaker.

So my first question is in regards to the size of reflector for these lower frequencies, can it be half or quarter wave length? Is there a way to get around this limitation of the size of the reflector?

My second question is what is the ideal size of speaker for lower frequencies? Is there a relationship between the size/diameter of the speaker and a specific wavelength?

Any thoughts or input would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Welcome to the PF.

Yeah, I would use a single speaker at the focus of a large parabolic reflector that is steerable, or maybe several speakers driven as a phased array. What is the application?

I still remember this exhibit at the San Francisco Exploratorium -- I first saw it with my kids on a trip about 15 years ago...

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/76/84/b7/7684b78d03849c317d47c57d48f8413d.jpg
7684b78d03849c317d47c57d48f8413d.jpg

newaqua said:
The size of reflector needed to direct 30-60Hz sound effectively would be pretty big. (The wavelength is around 10m so the aperture would need to be comparable with (significantly bigger than) that.
That would be a bulky arrangement and you could produce simple directivity (a 'doughnut' pattern) by using two speakers with anti phase connection. It would give a good null in a direction at right angles to the line between them. Unfortunately, any directive sound emitter can suffer from reflections from nearby objects. 30Hz would be very hard.

Likes berkeman
sophiecentaur said:
Unfortunately, any directive sound emitter can suffer from reflections from nearby objects
Good point!

Horn tube .

Horn tube loudspeakers are commercially available .

Last edited:
Likes berkeman
I forgot to add, that I was wondering if you could use a 1/2 or 1/4 wavelength width parabolic reflector which would reduce the size. Are there any rules or theory's around sound waves and reflectors?

newaqua said:
I forgot to add, that I was wondering if you could use a 1/2 or 1/4 wavelength width parabolic reflector which would reduce the size.

yes, you already asked that ... did you read the responses ?
you didn't acknowledge any of them

you also didn't answer berkeman's question as to what it is you are trying to achieve

Do you realize that sound at 30 - 60 Hz is just a buzz ?

here is an example of 30 Hz ... the signal from the crab nebula pulsar

wavelength of a sound at 30Hz is 11.5 metres ... at 60 Hz = 5.7 metres
again ... knowing what you are trying to do will determine how well a 1/4 or 1/2 wave diameter dish will performDave

newaqua said:
I forgot to add, that I was wondering if you could use a 1/2 or 1/4 wavelength width parabolic reflector which would reduce the size. Are there any rules or theory's around sound waves and reflectors?
This is a diffraction problem. To produce a 'fair' directivity, your 'aperture' (reflector in this case) needs to be at least several wavelengths across or the launched wave will turn up in all directions. Such a small dish is virtually 'hardly there', as far as the waves are concerned. You can do the experiment by standing behind a wall and judging whether it makes any difference to the rumble of traffic going past. The wall may cut down the high frequencies a bit but not the low frequencies.

I remember there was a company making a special kind of speaker that used nonlinear phenomena in air to produce sound at the listener's ear. I think it had a higher frequency carrier wave (which could be directed easily), and I guess it used some kind of amplitude modulation to generate lower frequency waves. I think it was intended for stuff like museum exhibits where only the person in front of the exhibit could hear the sound. I can't remember what it was called though.

Firstly, thank you everyone who has replied here.
The other day when I tried to see the thread all that would load was the 'Something to add box', and I couldn't see my original post, hence why i have mentioned the same thing twice! I also couldn't see any replies, hence not acknowledging anyone. So thank you.

In regards to what we are doing with it or its application, we don't have a specific application in mind, more curiosity than anything.
We are trying to see if we could mount the arrangement on a bearing that is standing straight up, allowing the contraption to turn in a full 360 degree circle. Which would allow you to have a beam that you could 'wash' over people if you know what I mean.

Sorry I could not be more specific, this is literally just curiosity and extra time were filling in.

Essentially I am reading here that for a frequency that low we would need a reflector that is massive, too massive for what we are doing. Half or quarter wavelengths won't work?

newaqua said:
Which would allow you to have a beam that you could 'wash' over people if you know what I mean.
For an effect at a concert or something? Why?

As I said, we don't really have a purpose in mind at the moment, more of a if we could do it, then I am sure we could find something to use it for. As you mentioned, in a concert or theatre could potentially be a use, if we could get it to work.

newaqua said:
As I said, we don't really have a purpose in mind at the moment, more of a if we could do it, then I am sure we could find something to use it for. As you mentioned, in a concert or theatre could potentially be a use, if we could get it to work.
A lot of the problems would be solved if you could use multiple sources. Not a problem, these days with wireless networking. Just expensive! :frown:

1. What are low frequencies and why are they important in directing?

Low frequencies refer to sound waves with a low pitch, typically below 250 Hz. They are important in directing because they are responsible for creating the foundation and depth in audio recordings and live performances.

2. How do low frequencies affect the overall sound quality?

Low frequencies can greatly impact the overall sound quality by adding warmth and richness to the audio. They also play a crucial role in creating a balanced mix by providing a solid foundation for the other frequencies to sit on top of.

3. What techniques can be used to direct low frequencies?

There are a few techniques that can be used to direct low frequencies, such as using equalization to boost or cut specific frequencies, using compression to control the dynamics of the low end, and using sidechain compression to create space for the low frequencies in a mix.

4. How can low frequencies be controlled to avoid muddiness in a mix?

To avoid muddiness in a mix, it is important to control low frequencies by using high pass filters to remove unwanted low end from instruments that don't need it. It's also important to make sure each instrument has its own space in the frequency spectrum so they don't clash with each other.

5. Are there any specific tools or plugins that can assist in directing low frequencies?

Yes, there are many tools and plugins available that can assist in directing low frequencies, such as equalizers, compressors, and multiband processors. It's important to experiment and find the right tools that work for your specific needs and style of music.