Can a smaller magnet still repel with the same force as a larger magnet?

In summary, the force between two magnets is dependent on their orientation and magnetic moments, not necessarily their size. If one magnet is replaced with a smaller one, the force will decrease due to a decrease in magnetic moments. It is important to use proper physical units when discussing force.
Stoney
Hi
Just wanted to know,

If I have two magnets of the same size with a pull force of say 30kg and use them to repel each other, the top magnet at a position close to the surface of the bottom magnet would be able to support around 30kg (I know repel force is not measured in kg). If I then replace the top magnet with a smaller one will it still be able to support around 30kg at the same position as it is still being repelled from the bottom one with around 30kg of force?

Thanks
Stoney

Physics news on Phys.org
The force between two magnets is (ideally) dependent on their orientation and the strength of their magnetic moments, which are not necessarily related to size. If you decrease the magnetic moments of one of the magnets, the total force is going to go down.

Stoney said:
I know repel force is not measured in kg
So why do you use it? Please stick to proper physical units.

1. What is a repel force of magnets?

A repel force of magnets is a force that causes two magnets with like poles (north-north or south-south) to push away from each other. This occurs due to the interaction of the magnetic fields of the two magnets.

2. How does the repel force of magnets work?

The repel force of magnets works due to the alignment of the magnetic domains within each magnet. When two magnets with like poles are brought close together, the domains within each magnet align in the same direction, creating a repelling force.

3. What factors affect the strength of the repel force of magnets?

The strength of the repel force of magnets is affected by the distance between the two magnets, the strength of the magnets, and the orientation of their poles. The closer the magnets are, the stronger the repelling force will be.

4. Can the repel force of magnets be used for anything practical?

Yes, the repel force of magnets has many practical applications, such as in magnetic levitation trains, magnetic bearings, and magnetic brakes. It is also used in various industrial and medical equipment.

5. Can the repel force of magnets be stronger than the attract force?

No, the repel force of magnets can never be stronger than the attract force. The strength of the repelling force depends on the distance between the magnets and the strength of the magnets, which are both limited. The attractive force, on the other hand, has no limits and can be infinitely strong.