Magnets' Repelling Force -- How to calculate it

In summary, when calculating the repelling force between 2 dissimilar magnets, one can use the formula R(AB) = r(A)r(B) = sqrt(R(AA))sqrt(R(BB)). This may not be exact, but it is a better approximation than assuming the forces are additive. This is similar to the way that two objects with opposite electrical charges can attract each other due to induced dipoles.
Shortyski13
If I have 2 dissimilar magnets and push their North (or South) poles towards each other, how do I calculate how much force they will repel with. Again, I'm asking for calculations since I'd like to know before I buy magnets. I'm guessing they are either additive or they only push with a force equal to the repelling force of the smaller/weaker of the two magnets, but I'm not sure and cannot find this answer anywhere.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
There's a calculator here: http://www.kjmagnetics.com/calculator.repel.asp?calcType=disc
but it only works for two of the same magnet. For two dissimilar magnets, the result will be somewhere between the repelling force of two weaker magnets and two stronger magnets. I guess the repelling strength is approximately multiplicative, so if you have magnets A and B, you could write the repulsion between A and B using
R(AA) = r(A)r(A) "repulsion between A and A"
R(BB) = r(B)r(B) "repulsion between B and B"
R(AB) = r(A)r(B) = sqrt(R(AA))sqrt(R(BB))

This probably isn't exactly right, but definitely better than assuming they are additive.

Khashishi said:
For two dissimilar magnets, the result will be somewhere between the repelling force of two weaker magnets and two stronger magnets.
That's an attractive intuition, but I do not believe that it can be correct. If you have a very powerful magnet adjacent to a very weak magnet such that a repulsive force would be expected, an attractive force can exist instead.

This is similar to the way in which two objects both with a net positive static electrical charge can attract. One powerfully charged object induces a dipole in a nearby weakly charged object. The powerfully charged object then attracts the dipole because the negatively charged end is closer.

Related to Magnets' Repelling Force -- How to calculate it

What is the repelling force between two magnets?

The repelling force between two magnets is the force that pushes the two magnets away from each other. This force occurs due to the interaction of the magnetic fields of the two magnets.

How do you calculate the repelling force between two magnets?

The repelling force between two magnets can be calculated using the formula F = (m1 x m2)/(d^2), where F is the force in Newtons, m1 and m2 are the magnetic strengths of the two magnets, and d is the distance between them.

What factors affect the repelling force between two magnets?

The repelling force between two magnets is affected by the magnetic strengths of the two magnets, the distance between them, and the orientation of their respective magnetic fields.

Can the repelling force between two magnets be increased?

Yes, the repelling force between two magnets can be increased by increasing the magnetic strengths of the magnets or by decreasing the distance between them.

Is the repelling force between two magnets always equal?

No, the repelling force between two magnets is not always equal. It depends on the magnetic strengths and orientation of the two magnets, as well as the distance between them.