Can a solenoid emit/receive electromagnetic radiation?

In summary, an oscillating electromagnetic field in a solenoid can generate electromagnetic radiation. This radiation can be used to transmit or receive information.
Lojzek
1. Can a solenoid connected to alternating current generator be used as transmitter of electromagnetic radiation?

2. Can a solenoid be used as a receiver of electromagnetic waves?

I think point 2. is possible, since alternating magnetic field will induce voltage in the loops of solenoid.
An alternating current in a solenoid would generate an oscillation of magnetic dipole moment. I guess this would emit electromagnetic radiation based on the similarity between electric and magnetic field (since an oscillating electric dipole moment does emit electromagnetic radiation).
Are this considerations correct? Also why transmitters/receivers (for example radio antennas) never have the form of a solenoid?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it is possible.

As a transmitter, the magnetic field just emmit from the two end. As a reciever, then it is very directional, only the magnetic field going through the coil can cause current in the coil as per Ampere's law. Are they effiecent? I doubted.

In time verying field, E and M are together, one generate the other.

You seen the old am fm radio( maybe not so old ), they have coil with rod in the middle as antenna? As a kid, I torn up a lot of them and unwinded the coil on the antenna! Yes, that's how I started my EE career that lasted over 27 years.

Remember the famous loop antenna is a single turn coil!

Last edited:
Hello Lozjek,

There is a type of antennas called 'Helical Antennas' that resemble a solenoid more or less. They can be used in two main modes of radiation, the end-side and backfire mode.

You can find plenty of information on them in any Antenna Design books, check out Antenna Theory by Constantine Balanis for example.

Regards,
Mohammed Omar

Ideal solenoid has no external field, but you get these from the same box as massless string and frictionless pulleys. Real solenoid produces external field from the edges. If you run alternating current through it, that gives you alternating magnetic field. And whenever you have an alternating magnetic field, you are emitting RF.

Thanks for the replies.

I have another question:

Is it obvious that any object which causes an oscillating
electromagnetic field in it's neighbourhood will emit
electromagnetic power? Or does such object exist which has a
zero time average of emitted power?

For example, to prove the effectiveness of a transmitter with a
form of a solenoid (or a singe loop), is it necessary to prove
that the integral of energy flux over a large sphere (averaged
over time) would not converge to zero?

Hello Lozjek,

Any time varying electromagnetic field, i.e. one that has both time varying electric and magnetic field will cause electromagnetic radiation.

Thus, any oscillating electromagnetic field will ultimately cause radiation.

What differs in one source from the other is their radiation efficiency, i.e. the amount of real power radiated by the source. Let me try to explain:
If you look at the Poynting vector, any electromagnetic radiation can be considered to be composed of real and reactive power. What you make use in the form of radiation is the real power. Its ratio to the excitation used, which controls the radiation efficiency of any antenna, depends on many factors which include the shape of the antenna.

If the time average of the energy flux increases, the real power increases, and as it decreases then the real power will decrease.

Please note that this integral will depend on the distance from the antenna, there are two main regions, the near field which is mostly reactive power, and the far field which is mostlr real power.

Regards,
Mohammed Omar

1. Can a solenoid emit electromagnetic radiation?

Yes, a solenoid can emit electromagnetic radiation. When an electric current passes through a solenoid, it creates a magnetic field. This changing magnetic field can induce an electric field, resulting in the emission of electromagnetic radiation.

2. How does a solenoid emit electromagnetic radiation?

A solenoid emits electromagnetic radiation through the interaction between its electric and magnetic fields. As the electric current passes through the solenoid, it creates a magnetic field. This changing magnetic field then induces an electric field, which results in the emission of electromagnetic radiation.

3. Can a solenoid receive electromagnetic radiation?

Yes, a solenoid can receive electromagnetic radiation. When electromagnetic radiation, such as radio waves, passes through a solenoid, it causes a change in the magnetic field. This change induces an electric current in the solenoid, allowing it to receive the radiation.

4. What types of electromagnetic radiation can a solenoid emit/receive?

A solenoid can emit and receive a wide range of electromagnetic radiation, including radio waves, microwaves, infrared radiation, visible light, ultraviolet radiation, X-rays, and gamma rays. The specific type of radiation emitted or received depends on the strength and frequency of the electric current passing through the solenoid.

5. What are the practical applications of a solenoid emitting/receiving electromagnetic radiation?

The ability of a solenoid to emit and receive electromagnetic radiation has many practical applications. For example, solenoids are used in radio antennas to emit and receive radio waves. They are also used in devices such as loudspeakers, electric motors, and transformers, where they convert electrical energy into mechanical energy or vice versa. Additionally, solenoids are used in medical imaging, such as MRI machines, where they emit and receive electromagnetic radiation to create images of the body's internal structures.