Can a Steel Piping Cubic Bedframe Support Heavy Weight?

In summary, the person is trying to build a cubic bedframe out of metal pipes with a 7'x7'x5' rectangular prism shape and four 1' legs. They want the top of the frame to be able to support 250 lbs on the horizontal bars and are considering adding additional support with tees along the vertical walls. They plan on using schedule 40 steel piping from Lowes/Homedepot, but are unsure if 3/4" or 1" sizes will be strong enough. They have a background in software and computer engineering, but not in mechanical or structural engineering and are unsure how to calculate the yield strengths of the bars. They are also wondering if the horizontal bars or support beams should
Splicel
Hi, so I'm currently trying to build a cubic bedframe out of metal pipes. The frame would essentially be a 7'x7'x5' rectangular prism (HxWxL, I.E. 7x5 being the base of it), with four 1' legs holding it up. However, I would like the top of the frame (The 7x5 square above the bed) to be able to support some weight, ideally like 250 lbs at any given point on the horizontal bars. I was also considering using some tees to add additional vertical bars along the 5x7 vertial walls of the bedframe to give additional support, but I'm not sure how much difference that would actually make.

I was planning on using the schedule 40 steel piping you can buy at Lowes/Homedepot, but the largest sizes were 3/4" and 1", and I wasn't sure if either of those would be strong enough to support this.

I have a bit of a math/engineering background, unfortunately it's all in software and computer engineering, not mechanical or structural engineering. I could not find anywhere online to help with even rough estimates of yield strengths of horizontal steel bars, nor equations I would need to figure it out myself, so I really have no idea how to calculate this. I'm not even sure if I should be worried about the horizontal bars, but instead should be focused on the support beams buckling.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Also, if I did get the 3/4" or 1", what would be the maximum load I could put on the upper rectangle of the frame? Could I make a hammock and support 2 people (~400lbs) upon it?

What is a Skeletal Cube of Steel Piping?

A Skeletal Cube of Steel Piping is a type of structural support made up of interconnected steel pipes arranged in a cube shape. It is commonly used in construction and engineering projects for its strength and stability.

How is a Skeletal Cube of Steel Piping made?

A Skeletal Cube of Steel Piping is typically made by welding or bolting together steel pipes to form a cube shape. The pipes are often reinforced with additional supports and bracing for added strength and stability.

What are the benefits of using a Skeletal Cube of Steel Piping?

The use of a Skeletal Cube of Steel Piping provides several benefits, including high strength-to-weight ratio, durability, and flexibility in design. It can also withstand heavy loads and extreme weather conditions.

Where is a Skeletal Cube of Steel Piping commonly used?

A Skeletal Cube of Steel Piping is commonly used in various construction and engineering applications, such as bridges, buildings, offshore platforms, and pipelines. It is also used in the manufacturing of machinery and equipment that require a strong and stable support structure.

How do you maintain a Skeletal Cube of Steel Piping?

To maintain a Skeletal Cube of Steel Piping, regular inspections and maintenance are necessary. This includes checking for any signs of damage or corrosion, repairing or replacing any damaged pipes or supports, and ensuring proper bracing and reinforcement. It is also important to follow proper safety precautions when working with the structure.