How to figure out how much weight an object can support

In summary, in order to use a steel pipe for pull up bars, it must be strong enough to support 600 pounds, and the bar must be made from a standard industry material like 1 inch pipe, pressure treated wood, and a height that is based on the person's height. The HOA should be contacted before the project can start, and shock absorbing material should be placed under the bars if they will be installed in a public area.
grahas
Hi, I need to figure out how much weight a 5 foot steel pipe will support before becoming unsafe. I am building a series of out door pull up bars for my neighborhood as an eagle project. I need to buy the right pipe/tube that will be sturdy enough but not have too big of a diameter that you cannot do pull ups on it. The pipe is supported at each end. Here is a picture of a diagram I made.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1sPUbiSLzB0bC1CYTR6S2d6Qnc

I was planning on using a pipe like this: http://www.homedepot.com/p/1-in-x-10-ft-Galvanized-Steel-Pipe-565-1200HC/100576427

The pipe must be strong enough to withstand 600ish pounds. If this pipe/tube is not adequate could you direct me to one that is? --Thank you

Likes bsheikho
Engineering news on Phys.org
grahas said:
Hi, I need to figure out how much weight a 5 foot steel pipe will support before becoming unsafe. I am building a series of out door pull up bars for my neighborhood as an eagle project. I need to buy the right pipe/tube that will be sturdy enough but not have too big of a diameter that you cannot do pull ups on it. The pipe is supported at each end. Here is a picture of a diagram I made.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1sPUbiSLzB0bC1CYTR6S2d6Qnc

I was planning on using a pipe like this: http://www.homedepot.com/p/1-in-x-10-ft-Galvanized-Steel-Pipe-565-1200HC/100576427

The pipe must be strong enough to withstand 600ish pounds. If this pipe/tube is not adequate could you direct me to one that is? --Thank you
Congratulations in advance on your Eagle Scout achievement. :smile:

I had the privilege of being an adviser to an Eagle Scout prospect on his project (EMS related), and I learned a lot about the process that I did not know before. Like, you are the supervisor for the project, and organize others to do the work. You also raise funds for the project, and look into things like safety issues that are involved.

So, I have a few questions for you... Where are these pullup bars going to be installed exactly in your neighborhood? On private plots of land? On public land like in city parks? At schools? And for the locations you have in mind, what insurance agency covers those areas? You should consult with them on your plans, to get them approved by any covering insurance agency. That should be part of your planning process.

Also, what have you found by researching the industry standard for such pullup bars? What height, width and bar materials are normally used in public pullup bars?

Finally, are you planning on putting any shock absorbing material on the ground under the apparatus? in playgrounds there is commonly tanbark or foam rubber under each apparatus where someone could fall, but in other places like par courses, pullup bars and other apparatus are generally just placed over bare ground.

Last edited:
Likes bsheikho
berkeman said:
Where are these pullup bars going to be installed exactly in your neighborhood?
The pullup bars are going next to a park. The park is built and maintained by the home owners association. The land is publicly access by every that is under the HOA.
berkeman said:
what have you found by researching the industry standard for such pullup bars?
I have not found an actual standard, however most people seem to be using around 1 inch pipe, 4x6 or 6x6 pressure treated wood, and the height is usualy based on what the person needs. For this project I am planning for three different heights planned: 9ft, 7ft, and 5ft. Also I wasn't planning on placing any shock absorbing material.

grahas said:
The pullup bars are going next to a park. The park is built and maintained by the home owners association. The land is publicly access by every that is under the HOA.
Good. So you need to contact the HOA (maybe through your scout council -- do any of your scout leaders live there?).

No only I live there. Also I have already met with them a couple times. Liability and how much weight the bar can take in the middle is what they want to know before I can get their approval.

1. How do I calculate the weight an object can support?

The weight an object can support is determined by its weight-bearing capacity. This is typically calculated by considering the strength, material, and design of the object.

2. What factors affect the weight an object can support?

The weight an object can support can be affected by various factors such as the material and quality of the object, the type and distribution of the load, and environmental conditions such as temperature and humidity.

3. Can I use a formula to determine the weight an object can support?

Yes, there are various formulas and equations that can be used to calculate the weight an object can support. These may vary depending on the type of object and the load it is expected to bear.

4. How can I test an object's weight-bearing capacity?

One way to test an object's weight-bearing capacity is by conducting a load test. This involves gradually increasing the load on the object until it reaches its maximum capacity. Another method is to consult the object's manufacturer for information on its weight-bearing capacity.

5. Is there a limit to how much weight an object can support?

Yes, there is a limit to how much weight an object can support. This is determined by its structural integrity and design. Exceeding the weight-bearing capacity of an object can lead to failure and potential hazards.