Helicopter hovering in crosswind with tail rotor

In summary: However, I'm not providing any answers as I don't want to do their homework for them. In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a helicopter hovering in a crosswind and the determination of crosswind conditions that may reduce or lose effectiveness of the tail rotor. The conversation also delves into various equations and variables related to torque and thrust of the main and tail rotors, as well as the effects of induced power factor and induced vortice flow. The conversation concludes with the mention of links for further information on the topic.
Hey_Ducky

Homework Statement

A helicopter is hovering in a steady cross wind at a gross weight of 3,000lb. The helicopter has 275 hp delivered to the main rotor shaft. The tail rotor radius is 2.3 ft and has an induced power factor of 1.15. The tail rotor is located 15.3 ft away from the main rotor shaft. Determine the crosswind conditions (velocity and direction) in which tail rotor effectiveness may be reduced or lost. If the center of gravity is assumed to lie on the rotor shaft axis, determine the feasible yawing angular velocity that the pilot can demand that may also result in a loss of tail rotor effectiveness

Homework Equations

My understanding is that the torque of the tail rotor needs to counteract, ie, be equal to the torque created by the main rotor. For that reason, my first goal is to right down torque equation for each scenario. Leishman, my textbook, uses Q = Torque, T = Thrust (here, same as weight in hover).

Qrotor = T * Vinduced/(Vtip/R)
Qtail = r x f = |r| |f| sin(theta)
--> Figure out under what circumstances Qtail < Qrotor

I'm interested in exploring the angle of the crosswind, so theta is fine.
Known (or solvable): T, R, Vi, r
Vi = sqrt(T/ (2*A*rho))
Unknown: Vtip (how do I deal with this?)
Not sure: f ? and theta

F must be the thrust exerted by the tail rotor. So, call it Ttail ?
In rotorcraft P = T * Vi.
Here's where I'm stuck. How do I use the induced power factor to get Ptail? How do I get Vi,tail? I don't have area or disk loading or really any information about the tail?

Am I on the right track? Your help would be greatly appreciated.

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
There seems to be insufficient information. It's not clear to me what an induced power factor of 1.15 at the tail rotor means. The main rotor size is not stated either. Also it takes less power to hover in a crosswind versus zero wind, but I don't know if your textbook explains this.

Last edited:
Hey_Ducky said:

Homework Statement

A helicopter is hovering in a steady cross wind at a gross weight mass* of 3,000lb.
My understanding is that the torque of the tail rotor needs to counteract, ie, be equal to the torque created by the main rotor. For that reason, my first goal is to right down torque equation for each scenario. Leishman, my textbook, uses Q = Torque, T = Thrust (here, same as weight in hover).

I don't have area or disk loading or really any information about the tail?

Right, so in what situation (can you think of) would the torque caused by the tail rotor be lower compared to the torque of the main rotor?

You do have a radius, could you not find the area using that?

Also, remember that since the helicopter is in hover, the downward thrust is equal to the weight.

[tex]Weight = mass * gravity[/tex]

Last edited:
theOrange said:
Right, so in what situation (can you think of) would the torque caused by the tail rotor be lower compared to the torque of the main rotor?
Typically, the tail rotor moves at some fixed multiple of the speed of the main rotor, and the pitch of the blades on the tail rotor is changed to vary the amount of torque on the tail rotor. Instead of a cross wind situation, imagine flying a helicopter sideways; I'm not sure of the limits for flying full scale helicopters sideways, but aerobatic radio control model helicopters can be flown at top speed sideways, with the top speed is reduced due to the drag of the fuselage being flown sideways. The limitaion on sideways speed is due to the main rotor, not the tail rotor which is essentially a variable pitch propeller.

theOrange said:
Also, remember that since the helicopter is in hover, the downward thrust is equal to the weight.
And for some given period of time Δt, the impulse (thrust x Δt ) equals the change in momentum of the air. Assuming some fixed amount of mass of air flowing per unit time mdot, then change in momentum = mdot Δv. The change in momentum must deal with the induced vortice flow, which is greater when hovering compared to forward or sideways flight at sufficient speed. Links:

http://www.copters.com/aero/hovering.html

http://www.copters.com/aero/translational.html

Last edited:
rcgldr said:
Typically, the tail rotor moves at some fixed multiple of the speed of the main rotor, and the pitch of the blades on the tail rotor is changed to vary the amount of torque on the tail rotor. Instead of a cross wind situation, imagine flying a helicopter sideways; I'm not sure of the limits for flying full scale helicopters sideways, but aerobatic radio control model helicopters can be flown at top speed sideways, with the top speed is reduced due to the drag of the fuselage being flown sideways. The limitaion on sideways speed is due to the main rotor, not the tail rotor which is essentially a variable pitch propeller.

An for some given period of time Δt, the impulse (thrust x Δt ) equals the change in momentum of the air. Assuming some fixed amount of mass of air flowing per unit time mdot, then change in momentum = mdot Δv. The change in momentum must deal with the induced vortice flow, which is greater when hovering compared to forward or sideways flight at sufficient speed. Links:

http://www.copters.com/aero/hovering.html

http://www.copters.com/aero/translational.html

I know, I'm giving the OP some questions to think about.

1. How does a helicopter hover in a crosswind with its tail rotor?

When a helicopter is hovering in a crosswind, the pilot uses the tail rotor to counteract the torque created by the main rotor. The tail rotor produces a sideways force that keeps the helicopter from rotating and allows it to hover in place.

2. What is the purpose of the tail rotor in helicopter hovering?

The tail rotor is responsible for keeping the helicopter from rotating while hovering in a crosswind. It works to counteract the torque created by the main rotor and allows the pilot to maintain control and stability.

3. How does the pilot control the tail rotor during a crosswind hover?

The pilot controls the tail rotor by using the pedals on the helicopter's control system. By adjusting the pitch of the tail rotor blades, the pilot can change the amount of sideways force and maintain control of the helicopter's direction.

4. What factors affect the helicopter's ability to hover in a crosswind with the tail rotor?

The strength and direction of the crosswind, the weight and balance of the helicopter, and the skill of the pilot all affect the helicopter's ability to hover in a crosswind with the tail rotor. Additionally, the design and size of the tail rotor also play a role.

5. Are there any risks associated with helicopter hovering in a crosswind with the tail rotor?

Crosswinds can be unpredictable and can make hovering with a tail rotor challenging. If the crosswind is too strong or gusty, it may be unsafe for the helicopter to hover. Additionally, if the pilot is not experienced or properly trained, there is a risk of losing control of the helicopter during a crosswind hover.