Can aerodynamic downforce from a standard car cause lateral pull in others?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a car creating enough downforce to affect other vehicles passing by. The speaker argues that while this may be possible in theory, it would be difficult to measure and may be more of a psychological effect. They also mention that the low pressure at the rear of a car can affect other vehicles, but it is unclear if this would have a significant impact on a larger, heavier car. The conversation concludes with the speaker sharing their personal experience of not feeling any lateral pull when passing fancy cars, but feeling something when driving behind them.
jmelinte
I have a friend who argues that her car creates enough downforce to cause other cars to veer towards it as they pass. I can understand cars behind it being affected, but I can't imagine 4 door car creating a force similar to that felt while driving alongside a semi truck. For what it's worth, the friend's car is a Subaru WRX STI, with a lot of body work, moving at roughly 70mph.

My understanding of this phenomenon in the case of a semi is that the air being displaced by it is essentially pulled to the rear, where it has to replace the space left by the truck. As a result, air rushes along the top and sides, creating an area of lower pressure, and pulling a car traveling along side it toward this lower pressure. However, in a race car, wouldn't the downforce be created by more air being routed over the top of the car, not the sides (not to mention much less air volume being displaced)?

Physics news on Phys.org
jmelinte said:
I have a friend who argues that her car creates enough downforce to cause other cars to veer towards it as they pass.
I wouldn't be surprised if she were right, in principle; aerodynamics is full of surprises. I would have expected the Bernouli effect would be 'measurable' as the two cars are traveling through the air, with a small gap between them. That would tend to pull them together. The low pressure at the rear of a car can affect other vehicles. Cyclists can easily slipstream a box shaped van and they don't need to be directly behind it. The effect stops as you near the front of the van, though.

sophiecentaur said:
I wouldn't be surprised if she were right, in principle; aerodynamics is full of surprises. I would have expected the Bernouli effect would be 'measurable' as the two cars are traveling through the air, with a small gap between them. That would tend to pull them together. The low pressure at the rear of a car can affect other vehicles. Cyclists can easily slipstream a box shaped van and they don't need to be directly behind it. The effect stops as you near the front of the van, though.
I can certainly understand the lower pressure behind the car having a huge effect, hence why cars draft each other in racing. The bicyclist situation makes sense too, but extrapolating that to a car gets a bit fuzzy in my head. A 200lb cyclist would get pulled easily, but would this pull have any actual effect on a 3000lb car with 4 wheels on the road?

There can be a psychological effect when a driver looks to the left and tends to steer a bit that way , too :smile:.
:wideeyed:Measuring the effect could be difficult because the force could be small. Perhaps driving two high sided box vans close together and photographing from the rear could show a small angle of tilt between them. If the result turned out to be significant then you expect the effect between cars too, but less.

sophiecentaur said:
There can be a psychological effect when a driver looks to the left and tends to steer a bit that way , too [emoji2].
:wideeyed:Measuring the effect could be difficult because the force could be small. Perhaps driving two high sided box vans close together and photographing from the rear could show a small angle of tilt between them. If the result turned out to be significant then you expect the effect between cars too, but less.
That was my counterpoint to her argument. I think it's more likely that people are looking toward her car and veering in that direction. I've driven past some pretty fancy cars, with far more elaborate aerodynamic engineering, and never felt any sort of lateral pull when passing. That said, I've definitely felt something when behind said cars.

1. How does aerodynamic downforce affect the handling of a standard car?

Aerodynamic downforce is the downward force that is created on a car when it moves through the air. This force helps to keep the car firmly planted on the ground, which improves its handling and stability. Without sufficient downforce, a car may experience lift and become more difficult to control.

2. Can aerodynamic downforce from a standard car cause lateral pull in other vehicles?

Yes, it is possible for aerodynamic downforce from one car to cause lateral pull in other vehicles. This occurs when the downforce generated by one car creates a disturbance in the air, causing a change in air pressure and resulting in a lateral force on another vehicle.

3. How does the shape of a car affect its aerodynamic downforce?

The shape of a car plays a significant role in determining its aerodynamic downforce. Cars that are designed with smooth, streamlined shapes tend to generate more downforce compared to those with sharp edges and flat surfaces. The angle and size of the car's wings, spoilers, and diffusers also contribute to the amount of downforce generated.

4. Is aerodynamic downforce only beneficial for high-speed racing cars?

No, aerodynamic downforce can benefit standard cars as well. While high-speed racing cars require more downforce to maintain stability at high speeds, standard cars can also benefit from downforce at lower speeds. Downforce helps to improve cornering, braking, and overall handling of a car.

5. Can aerodynamic modifications on a car increase its downforce and lateral pull?

Yes, aerodynamic modifications such as spoilers, diffusers, and wings can increase a car's downforce and lateral pull. These modifications are designed to optimize the airflow around a car, resulting in an increase in downforce. However, it is important to note that excessive downforce can also affect the overall performance and handling of a car, so it is essential to find the right balance for optimal results.