Can Air Resistance Slow Down Subatomic Particles?

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the resistance an electron would encounter when traveling at high speeds through air. The person asking the question is wondering if standard air resistance equations can be applied or if there is another way to calculate this resistance. They are referred to the Drude Model and advised to find the mean free path of electrons in air.
Nevermore1
Ok so if an electron is launched at a high speed such as 7 million m/s and it travels through air it would encounter resistance that would slow it down even though it is a subatomic particle. I am guessing that you would not be able to apply standard air resistance equations to figure out the force that air resistance would create but is their a way we can calculate this resistance that it would encounter? Basically I need a general resistance for an electron in air. Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermore1 said:
Ok so if an electron is launched at a high speed such as 7 million m/s and it travels through air it would encounter resistance that would slow it down even though it is a subatomic particle. I am guessing that you would not be able to apply standard air resistance equations to figure out the force that air resistance would create but is their a way we can calculate this resistance that it would encounter? Basically I need a general resistance for an electron in air. Any help would be appreciated.

You need to look up the Drude Model. It will require that you find the mean free path of electrons in whatever medium you are using at whatever density. The mean free path of electrons in air should be easily searched for.

Zz.

Ok I'll look it up.

What is air resistance?

Air resistance is the force that opposes the motion of an object as it moves through the air. It is caused by the collisions of air molecules with the surface of the object.

How does air resistance affect electrons?

Air resistance does not have a significant effect on electrons since they are so small and light. However, it may impact larger objects that contain electrons, such as conductors.

Can air resistance be ignored in the study of electrons?

In most cases, air resistance can be ignored when studying electrons. However, in certain situations where high speeds and large distances are involved, air resistance may need to be considered.

Does air resistance affect the trajectory of electrons?

Air resistance does not affect the trajectory of electrons since they are not affected by air molecules. However, it may impact the trajectory of objects that contain electrons, such as conductors.

How can air resistance be minimized for electrons?

Since air resistance does not have a significant impact on electrons, there is no need to minimize it. However, for larger objects that contain electrons, air resistance can be minimized by reducing their surface area or by streamlining their shape.