Physics? Setting up PDE for air resistance at high velocity

In summary, the conversation revolves around modeling air resistance for an airplane in a video game. The main question is whether the partial differential equation (PDE) set up for this purpose is correct. Some concerns are raised about the time dependence and units of the constants used in the PDE. The OP has been struggling with the math and is unsure about the relevance of units in this context. A resource is shared for solving the PDE for air resistance proportional to the square of velocity.
Mr. Fizzix
Not sure if this is more appropriate for physics or for differential equations, but this problem centers around an airplane traveling with air resistance. I am not looking to get the most realistic-possible model, as it is just for a video game I am making.

Although this is technically a PDE, only one independent variable needs to be treated as such; all the others can be treated as constants. So, for all intents and purposes, this can be treated as an ODE.

At first, I decided to use the following article to model air resistance:
http://oregonstate.edu/instruct/mth252h/Bogley/w02/resist.html

That author of the above article solves the problem for "Linear Air Resistance", which I was able to solve for. After several, several steps of doing vector balances, I came up with the following differential equation. I had modified the differential equation from the article above in that, I also included a term for acceleration due to engine thrust. Also, rather than working with forces, I decided to work with accelerations, dividing both sides by the mass (of the aircraft).

I came up with the following equation. I apologize for the crazy nomenclature. Please private message me first if you have any questions regarding that. I could send you the entire file of derivations if you were interested.

upload_2017-11-25_9-45-43.png

Now, as you can see, the acceleration, due to engine thrust, is only a function of throttle setting and not time. This means changes in the throttle setting will mean instantaneous changes in acceleration. This is a simplification of mine that I may later go back and change but, for the scope of this thread, I am not concerned about that.

This is a first-order, linear, non-homogenous, partial PDE with constant coefficients. Anyway, I was able to solve this differential equation and get the same result as the author of the above link had, as shown below:

upload_2017-11-25_10-1-28.png

I was also able to prove the solution by plugging it back into the original differential equation.

So, I do feel confident in the math thus far; however, since I am modelling air resistance for bodies at high velocities (near, at, or beyond mach 1), it is said in the link above that air resistance actually proportional to the square of speed, although it doesn't actually show the process.

Nonetheless, I have set up such a differential equation, as shown below:

upload_2017-11-25_10-10-1.png

My main question is: is this PDE set up properly? Is this how you model air resistance squarely proportional to velocity?

Anyway, I have solve the above differential equation by first, using the Riccati equation to turn it into a 2nd order, linear, PDE. From there, I was able to solve it and obtain the following solution:

upload_2017-11-25_10-14-1.png

I checked it against the original PDE, and it is indeed a solution, but something is very wrong. The time parameter was eliminated. No initial conditions, or anything.

This tells me that the PDE was not properly set up. I understand that kA is a simplification to the drag coefficiant. Any idea what may have gone wrong? I would be happy to elaborate upon my process and conventions. Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-25_9-38-29.png
    upload_2017-11-25_9-38-29.png
    22.1 KB · Views: 506
  • upload_2017-11-25_9-39-29.png
    upload_2017-11-25_9-39-29.png
    22.7 KB · Views: 487
  • upload_2017-11-25_9-45-43.png
    upload_2017-11-25_9-45-43.png
    33.2 KB · Views: 440
  • upload_2017-11-25_10-0-19.png
    upload_2017-11-25_10-0-19.png
    27.4 KB · Views: 480
  • upload_2017-11-25_10-1-28.png
    upload_2017-11-25_10-1-28.png
    40.7 KB · Views: 451
  • upload_2017-11-25_10-10-1.png
    upload_2017-11-25_10-10-1.png
    29.3 KB · Views: 430
  • upload_2017-11-25_10-14-1.png
    upload_2017-11-25_10-14-1.png
    1.9 KB · Views: 368
Physics news on Phys.org
You basically start with ##\dfrac{\partial}{\partial t}v = a + k_A\cdot v## which means for the units ##ms^{-2} = [k_A] \cdot ms^{-1}## and your constant air resistance seems to be time dependent: ##[k_A]=\dfrac{1}{s}##. I cannot see, how a constant factor per time unit should make and physical sense.

Not to mention, that in your time independent solution you have ##v^2 = \dfrac{a}{k_A}##, i.e. ##[k_A]=\dfrac{1}{m}## and all of a sudden your constant factor seem to depend on distance in a way that velocity tends to zero for large distances and to infinity for short ones, which again doesn't make any sense.

I'm afraid, that your system has some fundamental flaws. Basically ##v'(t) = a+c\cdot v(t)## is easy to solve: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=v'(t)+=+a+c\cdot+v(t) . However, a time independent acceleration makes me wonder.

Likes berkeman
fresh_42 said:
You basically start with ##\dfrac{\partial}{\partial t}v = a + k_A\cdot v## which means for the units ##ms^{-2} = [k_A] \cdot ms^{-1}## and your constant air resistance seems to be time dependent: ##[k_A]=\dfrac{1}{s}##. I cannot see, how a constant factor per time unit should make and physical sense.

Not to mention, that in your time independent solution you have ##v^2 = \dfrac{a}{k_A}##, i.e. ##[k_A]=\dfrac{1}{m}## and all of a sudden your constant factor seem to depend on distance in a way that velocity tends to zero for large distances and to infinity for short ones, which again doesn't make any sense.

I'm afraid, that your system has some fundamental flaws. Basically ##v'(t) = a+c\cdot v(t)## is easy to solve: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=v'(t)+=+a+c\cdot+v(t) . However, a time independent acceleration makes me wonder.

I am not sure how much we are on the same page here. Regarding the "time independent acceleration", I am saying there are different sources of acceleration. We have gravity, g, which indeed is time independent. It is a constant. But also constant is the thrust put out by the engines. Let's say I am running my engines at 80%, and never change that. That term will be a constant, independent of time, the only reason it would be a function of time is if I start getting into response times. But, it can absolutely be treated as a constant for the current scope of this project. Constant sources of acceleration do not necessarily mean that the velocity and position functions will not be functions of time, as you are well aware with falling bodies.

Keep in mind that, as it is a video game, the initial conditions will update, "re-setting" the system every few frames, so as to allow the player to control the aircraft.

I honestly haven't been focusing on units as of yet, as the math has been a struggle so far. Although, you may be onto something.

I did find an article that talks about solving for air resistance that is proportional to the square of velocity, which outlines the process here. Although I am not following why it is using terminal velocity as part of the equation.
https://prettygoodphysics.wikispace...tions.pdf/273523270/DifferentialEquations.pdf

Thank you.

1. What is air resistance in physics?

Air resistance, also known as drag, is a force that opposes the motion of an object through a fluid (such as air) due to the friction between the object and the molecules of the fluid. It is a type of non-contact force that can affect the speed and trajectory of moving objects.

2. How does air resistance affect high velocity objects?

Air resistance increases with the square of the velocity of the object. This means that as the object's velocity increases, the force of air resistance also increases. At high velocities, air resistance can become a significant factor in the object's motion, causing it to slow down and potentially change direction.

3. What is a PDE and how is it used in physics?

A PDE (partial differential equation) is a mathematical equation that involves multiple variables and their partial derivatives. In physics, PDEs are commonly used to describe and analyze complex physical systems, including those involving fluid dynamics, such as air resistance at high velocity.

4. How do you set up a PDE for air resistance at high velocity?

To set up a PDE for air resistance at high velocity, you would need to first define the variables and parameters involved, such as the object's velocity, mass, and the properties of the fluid it is moving through. Then, you would use mathematical equations, such as the Navier-Stokes equations, to describe the forces acting on the object and how they change with respect to time and position. This would result in a PDE that can be solved to determine the behavior of the object in the presence of air resistance.

5. How can understanding air resistance at high velocity be useful in real-world applications?

Understanding air resistance at high velocity is crucial in various real-world applications, such as designing vehicles and aircraft that can efficiently overcome air resistance and maintain their speed and stability. It is also important in sports, such as cycling and skiing, where minimizing air resistance can lead to better performance. Additionally, understanding air resistance can help in predicting and mitigating the effects of natural disasters, such as hurricanes and tornadoes, which are caused by high-speed air movements.