Can an ideal spring ever experience an unbound state?

• Thread starter marjine
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Springs
In summary: An unbound state is one in which the total mechanical energy could tear the system apart. That can't happen with an ideal spring.I don't understand what you're trying to say. Can you please clarify? I don't understand what you're trying to say. Can you please clarify?
marjine
Homework Statement
Which of the following is a physical feature of a real spring which is NOT represented by the ideal spring potential energy graph?
A. a yield and breakage region
B. existence of bound states
C. existence of unbound states
D. region of compression where coils are touching
E. an equilibrium point of minimum energy
Relevant Equations
U = (1/2)ks^2 - E
This has never been covered in my lecture class before, and I can't find anything useful in my textbook. Considering I'm completely unfamiliar with this verbiage, I figured maybe if I google definitions of these terms I would be able to figure it out, but google doesn't have many definitions that apply to springs.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this for a quantum mechanics class? The fact that bound and unbound states are mentioned makes me suspect that it is.

Likes berkeman
kuruman said:
Is this for a quantum mechanics class? The fact that bound and unbound states are mentioned makes me suspect that it is.
No! I think those are might be distractor answers because this is physics I

@marjine -- Can you say which of the other options you think may apply to a real vs. ideal spring?

I did find a couple things about springs and bound states, but let's leave those aside for the moment...

berkeman said:
@marjine -- Can you say which of the other options you think may apply to a real vs. ideal spring?

I did find a couple things about springs and bound states, but let's leave those aside for the moment...
I think A and E are correct...

marjine said:
I think A and E are correct...
What do you mean by correct? If you mean a feature that is "NOT represented by the ideal spring potential energy graph", then (E) is indeed a feature of the parabolic ideal spring potential energy. All parabolas with positive curvature have feature (E).

kuruman said:
What do you mean by correct? If you mean a feature that is "NOT represented by the ideal spring potential energy graph", then (E) is indeed a feature of the parabolic ideal spring potential energy. All parabolas with positive curvature have feature (E).
Based on this, I ruled out all of the answer choices that contained E, and found that the correct answer is "A, C, D", but I still don't fully understand C.

marjine said:
Based on this, I ruled out all of the answer choices that contained E, and found that the correct answer is "A, C, D", but I still don't fully understand C.
An unbound state is one in which the total mechanical energy could tear the system apart. That can't happen with an ideal spring.

Likes berkeman and marjine

1. Can an ideal spring experience an unbound state?

No, an ideal spring cannot experience an unbound state. An ideal spring is defined as a massless, frictionless, and perfectly elastic spring, meaning it can stretch and compress infinitely without losing any energy. Therefore, it will always remain in a bound state.

2. What is an unbound state for a spring?

An unbound state for a spring refers to a state where the spring is no longer attached to any fixed point or object. In this state, the spring can move freely in any direction without any external forces acting on it.

3. Can a real spring experience an unbound state?

Yes, a real spring can experience an unbound state. Unlike an ideal spring, a real spring has mass, friction, and is not perfectly elastic. Therefore, it can break or detach from its fixed point, resulting in an unbound state.

4. What happens to the energy of an ideal spring in an unbound state?

In an unbound state, the energy of an ideal spring will remain constant. Since there is no external force acting on the spring, it will continue to oscillate back and forth with the same amplitude and frequency, resulting in a constant energy.

5. Can an ideal spring be used in practical applications?

No, an ideal spring cannot be used in practical applications as it is an idealized concept and does not exist in the real world. Real springs have mass, friction, and are not perfectly elastic, making them more suitable for practical use.