Can an LDR Detect X-Rays for Bounce Back Conditions?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of LDRs (light dependent resistors) for detecting X-rays. The speaker is unsure if LDRs can detect X-rays, but they mention that semiconductor crystals can be used to form electron hole pairs for detection. The conversation also mentions the similarities between X-rays and light as electromagnetic waves. The speaker suggests trying different phosphor coatings for more efficient detection.
kocthu
Can LDR detect the X-Rays? Please help me. If it does, I have to make the x ray detector for bounce back conditions.:confused:

Engineering news on Phys.org
Does LDR stand for light dependent resistor?
What does the LDR manufacture say about X-Ray detection?

I guess it can, if you have a lot of x-rays. I think the sensitivity would be rather low though.

I've seen it done with semiconductor crystals where the x-ray forms electron hole pairs. If the incidence of photos striking is low enough, the energy of the photon can be determined by the amount of charge released. This is handy when determining the material types by X-ray fluorescence

Because X-Ray and Light are both Electromagnetic waves. Thank you very much. I'm going to test that device.

LDRs are generally CdS, a semiconductor, so yes they probably will respond to X-rays but not very efficiently.

Have you tried any of the various phosphor coatings use in florescent lights or CRTs?

Related to Can an LDR Detect X-Rays for Bounce Back Conditions?

1. Can LDR (Light Dependent Resistor) detect X-rays?

Yes, LDRs are capable of detecting X-rays. However, they are mainly designed to detect visible light and may not be as sensitive to X-rays as other specialized detectors.

2. How does an LDR detect X-rays?

LDRs detect X-rays through a process called photoelectric effect. When X-rays hit the material of an LDR, they knock electrons off atoms, creating positively charged ions and free electrons. The free electrons are then collected by the LDR, producing an electrical current that can be measured.

3. Are LDRs commonly used to detect X-rays?

No, LDRs are not commonly used as X-ray detectors. They are mainly used as light sensors in applications such as automatic lighting systems and camera exposure control. Other specialized detectors, such as Geiger-Muller tubes and solid-state X-ray detectors, are more commonly used for X-ray detection.

4. Can LDRs detect all types of X-rays?

No, LDRs can only detect X-rays with energies in the range of visible light. This means they are not sensitive to high-energy X-rays, such as those used in medical imaging. LDRs are more sensitive to lower energy X-rays, such as those used in airport security scanners.

5. How can I improve the sensitivity of an LDR for X-ray detection?

To improve the sensitivity of an LDR for X-ray detection, you can use a thin layer of a high atomic number material, such as lead or gold, on the surface of the LDR. This will increase the number of electrons produced by the photoelectric effect, making the LDR more sensitive to X-rays. However, this may also affect the LDR's response to visible light, so it is important to calibrate the detector for both types of radiation.