Can an observed atom collapse back into a wave?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of wave-particle duality and the behavior of atoms in a slit experiment. It is mentioned that an atom does not go back and forth between a wave and a particle, and that it always behaves as a quantum system. The suggestion is made to watch a lecture by Feynman on quantum mechanics for further understanding.
StreetLgnd
I don't really know where my brain is taking me on this one. I was wondering a couple things..

You set up everything for a Slit Experiment. You shoot an atom and observed it before the slit, then somehow collected the particle. It loops back and shoots it out again, this time with the particle not being observed. Does it go back to being a wave? Or once an atom is observed, does it stays a particle forever?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello SL, :welcome:

StreetLgnd said:
I don't really know where my brain is taking me on this one
Neither do we -- this is a physics forum, not a telepathy expertise center.

So we need to be told everything: where does your brain come from ? Are you familiar with slit and double slit experiments using light and electrons ?

If so, why bring in atoms ? Or, for that matter: what is the function of the slit in your brain's train of thought ?
In short: what is the experiment ? Any references ?

Likes YoungPhysicist
StreetLgnd said:
I don't really know where my brain is taking me on this one. I was wondering a couple things..

You set up everything for a Slit Experiment. You shoot an atom and observed it before the slit, then somehow collected the particle. It loops back and shoots it out again, this time with the particle not being observed. Does it go back to being a wave? Or once an atom is observed, does it stays a particle forever?

Am atom doesn't go back and forth between a wave and a particle. It always behaves as a quantum system.

There are hundreds of threads on here about the myth of wave-particle duality.

If you have time, trying watching the Feynman "Messenger" lecture on QM on the Cornell University website.

Likes bhobba and YoungPhysicist

1. Can an observed atom collapse back into a wave?

Yes, according to quantum mechanics, an observed atom can indeed collapse back into a wave.

2. What causes an atom to collapse into a wave?

An atom collapses into a wave when it interacts with an observer or a measuring device. This interaction causes the atom's wave function to collapse and the atom to take on a definite position.

3. How does the collapse of an atom into a wave affect its properties?

The collapse of an atom into a wave affects its properties by determining its exact position and momentum. This also affects the probability of finding the atom in a certain state or energy level.

4. Can an atom collapse into a wave more than once?

Yes, an atom can collapse into a wave multiple times, depending on the frequency and duration of the interactions with an observer or measuring device.

5. Is the collapse of an atom into a wave a reversible process?

No, the collapse of an atom into a wave is an irreversible process. Once the wave function collapses, the state of the atom is determined and cannot go back to its previous superposition state.