Can an REU critique help improve my physics major personal statement?

In summary, the speaker is a physics major with an expected graduation date in the fall of 2014. They plan to focus on electronics and optics in their career, and have become more familiar with the necessary tools for industry professionals while attending Stony Brook University. They also have experience with mechanical work from their job at a gas station. They have toured various labs and have a strong interest in pursuing a PhD program. While their background is in art and graphic design, they have discovered a passion for physics and believe their skills in visualization, organization, and dexterity from their art background are applicable in the field of physics. They are confident that their background and experience make them an ideal candidate for an REU program.
bfusco
Its still a work in progress, but I could use some help via critiques.

I am a physics major at Stony Brook University with an expected graduation in the fall of 2014. I plan on building a career that focuses on electronics and optics. Stony Brook University’s exceptional optics program has shown me how vast and dynamic the applications can be. I wish to pursue research and/or engineering as a career and my hope is that an opportunity to partake in an REU will assist me in this.

Since attending Stony Brook, I have become more familiar with some of the tools necessary to be of use to a industry professional. Aside from the theory, I have become experienced in LaTeX, MapleSoft Maple, as well as some of the laboratory tools utilized in undergraduate lab courses such as oscilloscopes, interferometers, and optical instruments. I also have a beginner’s knowledge in the Fortran programming language.

While attending college I also maintain a job at a local gas station. The affiliated automotive center allows me to participate in minor vehicle repairs and maintenance such as tire repairs and oil changes. This simple mechanical experience allows for some technical ability which has great value in the lab.

In order to prepare myself for a PhD program I need some REU experience. I have toured Brookhaven National Labs Heavy Ion Collider as well as the National Synchrotron Light Source and those experiences embodied the capability of physics and its real world application. To experience first hand the scale upon which the experiments are conducted was astonishing.

I did not take a traditional path of a physics major. In high school I was actually a fine art and graphic design enthusiast. I tailored my studies to focus on computer graphics and fine arts. And upon graduation I attended New York Institute of Technology. Following a year of study in the computer graphics field, I decided that it was not as stimulating as I anticipated. I eventually transferred to Nassau Community College as a liberal arts major. That gave me the opportunity to explore other programs of study. It was there that I discovered my interest in physics and its influence in everyday life.

Although my primary focus has changed from art to physics, I still retain many skills from art, which are compatible in the field of physics. As an artist the ability to visualize your design, organize your approach, and then having the patience and control of your medium to bring that design to life is comparable to applying physics knowledge to design experiments as well as technology. The dexterity that comes from using the fine tools is also applicable as to construct and calibrate equipment may require the use of tools.

Physics news on Phys.org
Overall, I believe that my background and experience makes me an ideal candidate for an REU program. With my knowledge of physics, mathematics, and art, along with my technical skills, I am confident that I would be a great asset to any research project.

1. What is a personal statement critique?

A personal statement critique is a review or evaluation of a written statement that is typically required as part of a college or graduate school application. It is meant to provide feedback on the content, structure, and overall effectiveness of the statement.

2. Why is a personal statement critique important?

A personal statement is often a key component of an application and can greatly impact an applicant's chances of being accepted. A critique can help identify areas for improvement and ensure that the statement effectively conveys the applicant's unique qualities and experiences.

3. Who should I seek for a personal statement critique?

You can seek a personal statement critique from various sources such as a writing center at your school, a professional editor, or a mentor/teacher. It is important to choose someone who is knowledgeable about the application process and can provide objective feedback.

4. How do I prepare for a personal statement critique?

Before seeking a critique, make sure to thoroughly review and revise your personal statement on your own. This will ensure that you have addressed any initial errors or areas for improvement. Additionally, be open to feedback and willing to make revisions based on the critique.

5. How can I use a personal statement critique to improve my statement?

When receiving a critique, pay attention to the specific suggestions and comments provided. Use this feedback to make necessary revisions and ensure that your statement effectively communicates your qualifications, experiences, and goals. It may also be helpful to have multiple people review your statement to get a well-rounded perspective.