Can angular motion exist outside of a gravity field?

In summary: Electrons in a CRT or old TV screen are moving around in a circle, but the motion is not constrained by the laws of physics like it is in a centrifuge.
jed1408
I can't find the answer anywhere here's my question. can a centrifuge exist outside a field of gravity. More specifically, in a theoretical void of nothing without stars in view or any point of reference for comparison how could motion like spinning or acceleration exist?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello and welcome.

Yes. Angular acceleration can occur in the absence of gravity or other masses.

If astronauts Alice and Bob held hands and turned on their maneuvering jets, they would pirouette around each other like a planet and moon.

Whether or not they could see an external reference point such as a star, they would experience a centrifugal pull trying to separate them. This pull is simply inertia - their bodies trying to proceed in straight lines but constrained to go in a curve. All things with mass have inertia.

Likes Tom.G, vanhees71, AlexB23 and 1 other person
jed1408 said:
More specifically, in a theoretical void of nothing without stars in view or any point of reference for comparison how could motion like spinning or acceleration exist?
How can they exist or how do we know? Obviously you use rocket engines to make acceleration happen in space. And you know you're accelerating because you can feel it or measure it with an accelerometer.

Moving this thread to Classical Physics.

Likes malawi_glenn and vanhees71
jed1408 said:
I can't find the answer anywhere here's my question. can a centrifuge exist outside a field of gravity. More specifically, in a theoretical void of nothing without stars in view or any point of reference for comparison how could motion like spinning or acceleration exist?
A centrifuge can exist without a field of gravity. Back in the 20th century, scientists and futurists developed concepts for rotating space stations, which are basically giant centrifuges. At a certain speed, which can be calculated by station radius and revolutions per unit time, the force inside the space station would equal 1 G. Sadly, due to cost restraints, no rotating space station has been built.

Likes russ_watters, vanhees71 and PeroK
jed1408 said:
:welcome:

You've got some simple (and IMO correct) answers. If, however, you would like a trip down a philosophical rabbit hole, you could read up on Mach's principle:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mach's_principle

Likes gmax137 and mpresic3
Moderator's note: Thread title changed to be more descriptive.

But Mach's principle is neither a clear concept nor has it anything to do with the modern understanding of physics of spacetime, i.e., general relativity, although Einstein said that he was inspired by Mach's ideas on inertia. As you say, indeed it's a philosophical rabbit hole!

Likes PeroK
Clearly the electrons in our TV screens are in angular motion thanks to electromagnetic forces. No mention of gravity

mpresic3 said:
Clearly the electrons in our TV screens are in angular motion thanks to electromagnetic forces. No mention of gravity
Can you "clearly" describe the "angular motion" that you think electromagnetic forces impart to electrons in TV screens? And are you referring to older CRT-based TVs or current LCD/LED displays?

I am saying an electron beam starts out (say) along the x axis, and later is is deflected say by angle theta. Isn't this angular motion?

mpresic3 said:
Isn't this angular motion?
In a sense it is, but it's not "spinning" like a "centrifuge", which are the terms the OP of this thread used.

1. Can angular motion exist without gravity?

Yes, angular motion can exist without gravity. Angular motion is simply the rotation of an object around a fixed point, which can occur in a variety of situations, not just in a gravity field. For example, a spinning top or a rotating wheel are both examples of angular motion without the influence of gravity.

2. Is angular motion only caused by gravity?

No, angular motion can be caused by a variety of forces, not just gravity. Other factors such as friction, air resistance, or an applied torque can also cause an object to rotate around a fixed point.

3. Can angular motion exist in outer space?

Yes, angular motion can exist in outer space. While there is no gravity in the traditional sense in space, objects can still rotate around a fixed point due to other forces such as the Earth's magnetic field or the rotation of planets and stars.

4. Is angular motion the same as circular motion?

No, angular motion and circular motion are not the same. Angular motion refers to the rotation of an object around a fixed point, while circular motion refers to the motion of an object along a circular path. While circular motion often involves angular motion, they are not interchangeable terms.

5. Can angular motion exist in a vacuum?

Yes, angular motion can exist in a vacuum. A vacuum refers to a space devoid of matter, but it does not necessarily mean there is no force acting on an object. As mentioned before, other forces such as friction or an applied torque can still cause angular motion in a vacuum.