Can Anyone Check My 4th Grade Math Solutions? (Urgent)

• Thread starter t3rom
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Urgent
In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion around division and subtraction in fractions and reviews the solutions for various math problems. The conversation also includes a discussion about posting images of work and the importance of checking one's own work. The conversation ends with a question about finding the fraction of boys who scored an "A" in a class test, but it is noted that there is not enough information to accurately determine this fraction.
t3rom
Mod note: Moved from a technical math section, so this post doesn't contain the homework template.
It seems I can't solve 4th grade questions any more, I'm confused with division vs. subtraction in fractions.

Is the solution for question 1 and 2 correct?

IMG_3821.JPG
IMG_3822.JPG

Disregard the solution for question 3 and 4 in the second picture. The solutions I came up with for them are:

Q3. 12x4=48 Eggs that were broken= 48x1/8= 6

48-6=42
No. of eggs remaining= 42x3/7= 18

Q4.

3/4-1/8= 5/8

5/8-1/8= 1/2

Is this correct? TIA!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
We discourage members from posting images of their work, primarily because we as helpers can't go into the work and point out where errors are present. We also discourage posts that contain too many questions (with "too many" not precisely defined).

1 is correct.
2 is way off. Subtraction is NOT the operation to use. Any time a problem says "x/xx of ..." the implied operation is multiplication.
3 is correct.
4 is correct.

It's easy enough to check your work - you don't have to rely on us to confirm your answers. Just substitute the numbers you found into the problem, and verify that they work.

Thanks for your reply, I'll keep that in mind from now on.

For Q2. 5/6x3/5= ans is this correct?

Just need to confirm.

Thanks again!

Or is it 5/6x3/5= 1/2

And then

5/6-1/2= No of boys with A grade?

t3rom said:
Or is it 5/6x3/5= 1/2
Yes

t3rom said:
5/6-1/2= No of boys with A grade?
Sort of, but I wouldn't have done it this way. Also, this is not the number of boys, which can't possibly be a fraction. Of the kids who received an A, what fraction of them have to be boys?

I don't see how you can answer (2). There is not enough information!

In a class test, 5/6 of the students scored an "A" in the maths test. 3/5 of those who scored an "A" were girls. What fraction of the boys in the class scored an "A"?

Suppose the class has 30 students. (5/6)(30)= 25 scored an "A". 3/5 of those, (3/5)(25)= 15, were girls so 25- 15= 10 of those who scored an "A" were boys. But we cannot say "what fraction" that is because we don't know how the other 30- 25= 5 students are divided between boys and girls.

Perhaps they were all boys: Perhaps the class consisted or 15 girls and 15 boys. All 15 girls and 10 of the boys scored an "A". 10/15= 2/3 of the boys scored an "A".

Or perhaps they were all girls. Perhaps the class consisted of 20 girls and 10 boys. 15 of the girls and all 10 of the boys scored an "A". 10/10 of the boys scored an "A".

Both of those scenarios satisfy the given condition but give different answers.

What is 4th grade math?

4th grade math is a level of mathematics typically taught to students in the fourth grade, usually between the ages of 9-10. It covers topics such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, fractions, decimals, geometry, and measurement.

Why is it important to have someone check my 4th grade math solutions?

Having someone check your 4th grade math solutions is important because it allows you to identify any mistakes or misunderstandings in your work. This will help you to improve your understanding of the concepts and ensure that you are solving problems correctly. Additionally, having someone else check your work can provide a different perspective and help you to learn new problem-solving strategies.

Can anyone check my 4th grade math solutions?

Yes, anyone with knowledge of 4th grade math can check your solutions. This can include teachers, parents, tutors, or even peers. It is always beneficial to have someone else review your work to catch any errors or provide feedback.

Is it urgent to have my 4th grade math solutions checked?

It is important to have your 4th grade math solutions checked in a timely manner so that you can receive feedback and make corrections as needed. However, if you are struggling with a particular concept or problem, it is better to take your time and fully understand it rather than rushing to have it checked.

How can I find someone to check my 4th grade math solutions?

You can ask your teacher, parent, or tutor for help with checking your 4th grade math solutions. You can also reach out to classmates or friends who are knowledgeable in math. There are also online resources and forums where you can receive help and feedback on your solutions.