How a TFP (Thin Flim Polarizer) works?

In summary, TFP uses Brewster's angle and a precisely designed multi-layer dielectric coating to filter out S-polarized light while transmitting P-polarized light with 100% transmission. This is a common approach in TFP design.
goodphy
Hello.

I've been really curious about how TFP (Thin Flim Polarizer) works. I've searched TFP information through the Internet which tells that TFP utilizes Brewster's angle. This explains how the P-polarization transmits TFP with 100 % transmission, but I don't know how the S-polarization is filtered out as a high reflection. A Multi-layer dielectric coating on TFP substrate for a high reflection could be a solution, but...it could mean both P and S-polarizations are highly reflected at a TFP surface.

If the coating is precisely designed (in terms of refractive indices of coating materials and coating layer thicknesses) such that the P-polarization goes through every surfaces of coating layers and the TFP substrate at Brewster's angle, then the S-polarization is highly reflected while the P-polarization gets 100 % transmission. This is my TFP design principle, but...I'm not sure if this is a usual way of the TFP design.

Could you give me any feedback of this question?

Science news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in TFP and your question about how it works. TFP, or Thin Film Polarizer, is a specialized optical component that is used to separate or filter out polarized light. It works by utilizing Brewster's angle, which is an angle at which light with a specific polarization (known as P-polarization) can pass through a surface with no reflection.

To better understand how TFP works, it is important to first understand the concept of polarization. Light is made up of electromagnetic waves that vibrate in different directions. When light is polarized, it means that the vibrations are limited to a specific direction. P-polarization refers to light with vibrations that are parallel to the plane of incidence (the plane containing the incident light ray and the surface it is hitting).

TFP is designed to only transmit P-polarized light, while reflecting S-polarized light. This is achieved by using a multi-layer dielectric coating on the TFP substrate. The coating is designed in a way that the P-polarized light will be transmitted through every surface of the coating and the substrate at Brewster's angle, while the S-polarized light will be highly reflected.

The design of the coating is crucial in achieving this separation of polarized light. It involves carefully selecting the refractive indices and thicknesses of the coating layers to ensure that the P-polarized light experiences constructive interference (allowing it to pass through) while the S-polarized light experiences destructive interference (resulting in high reflection).

In short, your understanding of TFP design is correct. It is a common approach to design TFP using a multi-layer dielectric coating to achieve high transmission of P-polarized light and high reflection of S-polarized light. I hope this helps to answer your question. Please let me know if you have any further inquiries.

1. What is a TFP (Thin Film Polarizer)?

A TFP is a type of optical filter that is designed to transmit light with a specific polarization while reflecting light with the opposite polarization. It is made up of multiple layers of thin films with varying refractive indices, which interact with light to produce the desired polarization effect.

2. How does a TFP work?

A TFP works by utilizing the principles of thin film interference. When light passes through the layers of thin films, some of it is reflected and some is transmitted. The reflected and transmitted light waves interfere with each other, resulting in a specific polarization being transmitted while the opposite polarization is reflected.

3. What are the applications of TFPs?

TFPs are commonly used in optical systems to control the polarization of light. They are also used in devices such as LCD screens, laser systems, and polarimeters. TFPs are especially useful in situations where precise control of the polarization of light is necessary.

4. How is a TFP different from other types of polarizers?

TFPs are different from other types of polarizers, such as polarizing filters, in that they are designed to transmit light with a specific polarization, rather than just blocking certain polarizations. This allows for more precise control of the polarization of light in optical systems.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using TFPs?

One limitation of TFPs is that they only work for a specific range of wavelengths, so they may not be effective for all types of light. Additionally, TFPs can be expensive to manufacture and can be sensitive to temperature and humidity changes, which can affect their performance. However, with proper design and care, these limitations can be minimized.