Can anyone help me solve this?

• Thread starter PhysicsinCalifornia
  • Start date
In summary, Dimethylglyoxime (DMG) is a compound with a molecular mass of 116.12 u. In a combustion analysis, a 2.464-g sample of DMG yields 3.735 g CO2 and 1.530 g H2O. In a separate experiment, the nitrogen in a 1.868 g sample of DMG is converted to NH3(g) and neutralized by passing it into 50.00 mL of 0.3600 M H2SO4(aq). The excess H2SO4(aq) then requires 18.63 mL of 0.2050 M NaOH(aq) for neutralization. Using these data, the most plausible
PhysicsinCalifornia
Dimethylglyoxime (DMG) is a carbon-hydrogen-nitrogen-oxygen compound with a molecular mass of 116.12 u. In a combustion analysis, a 2.464-g sample of DMG yields 3.735 g CO2 and 1.530 g H2O. In a separate experiment, the nitrogen in a 1.868 g sample of DMG is converted to NH3(g), and the NH3 is neutralized by passing it into 50.00 mL of 0.3600 M H2SO4(aq). After neutralization of the NH3, the excess H2SO4(aq) requires 18.63 mL of 0.2050 M NaOH(aq) for its neutralization. Using these data, determine for dimethylglyoxime the most plausible Lewis structure

I don't understand the neutralization part. Can anyone give me clues on how to solve this?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is probably Kjeldahl's analysis for nitrogen content. The NH3 is converted to NH4+, you know the total number moles of H2SO4 that was initially present, it was consumed with the reaction with NH3, the rest that had not reacted is titrated with the NaOH. From this you should be able to deduce the moles of NH3, and thus nitrogen, was present.

from the final neutralisation between NaOH and H2SO4, you should know homework many moles of H2SO4(excess) reacted with NaOH by using M1V1=M2V2 equation. then you deduct this number of moles of H2SO4 with the initial H2SO4, you will get the number of moles H2SO4 that reacted with NH3. From this you can tell the molesof NH3 that exist in the DMG bond. Thats all i know.

1. What is the best approach to solving a scientific problem?

The best approach to solving a scientific problem is to first clearly define the problem and gather all relevant information. Then, formulate a hypothesis and design an experiment to test it. It is also important to carefully analyze and interpret the results, and to communicate the findings accurately.

2. How can I find help or guidance when solving a scientific problem?

There are various resources available for seeking help when solving a scientific problem. You can consult with your colleagues or mentors, reach out to experts in the field, or seek assistance from online communities or forums. It is also helpful to keep up-to-date with relevant literature and attend scientific conferences or workshops.

3. What are some common challenges when solving a scientific problem?

Some common challenges when solving a scientific problem include identifying the root cause of the problem, designing an effective experiment, and interpreting the results accurately. Other challenges may include obtaining funding, dealing with unexpected results or technical difficulties, and facing ethical considerations.

4. How can I effectively communicate my findings when solving a scientific problem?

To effectively communicate your findings, it is important to clearly and concisely present your methods, results, and conclusions. Use appropriate scientific language and avoid jargon. Visual aids such as charts, graphs, or images can also help to convey your findings. It is also important to provide references to any sources used and to consider the audience when choosing a format for communication.

5. Can collaboration or teamwork be helpful when solving a scientific problem?

Yes, collaboration and teamwork can be very beneficial when solving a scientific problem. Working with others can bring fresh perspectives and ideas, provide complementary skills and expertise, and help to overcome challenges and obstacles. It can also lead to more efficient and effective problem-solving and facilitate the sharing of knowledge and resources.