Understanding Net Force Calculation in Physics Problem #93?

In summary: The sum of the forces parallel to the plane is therefore Fg sin(θ)-FB cos(θ). Since it is in equilibrium, that sum is...In summary, the homework statement has two equations that are not making sense to me and I do not understand what the sin(theta) part is supposed to do.
Rijad Hadzic
Member advised not to delete or make inaccessible content that was linked to in the problem description.

Homework Statement

https://imgur.com/HR8ssJq
https://i.imgur.com/ZxAZ5NR.jpg (full problem, #93)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Look at the diagram with Fg, Fn, and Fb.

Then look two blocks above it, with the summation sin(theta)Fg - Fbcos(theta)

This makes no sense to me. How is sin(theta)Fg going to equal anything? Fg doesn't have any component on the x-axis at all.

So say theta was inbetween Fg and the dotted line. That means one component be directly on this line, while the other would be connecting to the end of Fg. That component that would be connecting to the end of Fg would be in the negative direction, not positive, so even if this is Fgsin(theta), I don't understand why its not negative (or firstly, why it even exists in the first place if Fg has no x components.)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Please provide the full statement of the problem. Type it in if you must. The photograph you uploaded is truncated and blurred in places.

kuruman said:
Please provide the full statement of the problem. Type it in if you must. The photograph you uploaded is truncated and blurred in places.
Sorry I uploaded a picture in the OP of the full problem.

I didn't think it was relevant because I was focused on the solution and why they had what they had at F net x direction, but on second thought not adding the problem was kinda dumb.

Rijad Hadzic said:
Fg doesn't have any component on the x-axis at all.
Not sure what you mean by x-axis here. Do you mean horizontal?
The text says "along the plane", i.e. parallel to it, not horizontal. Fg and FB do indeed have components in that direction.

haruspex said:
Not sure what you mean by x-axis here. Do you mean horizontal?
The text says "along the plane", i.e. parallel to it, not horizontal. Fg and FB do indeed have components in that direction.

Is Fg not negative though? It says its positive, but I don't see how it can be positive. If one component of fg is along that dotted line, the other one that connects to the head of the force has to be in the negative direction..

Rijad Hadzic said:
Is Fg not negative though? It says its positive, but I don't see how it can be positive. If one component of fg is along that dotted line, the other one that connects to the head of the force has to be in the negative direction..
The text takes downplane as the positive direction for that axis. It is a matter of choice, as long as you are consistent. The component of FB is up the plane so has opposite sign in the sum.

haruspex said:
The text takes downplane as the positive direction for that axis. It is a matter of choice, as long as you are consistent. The component of FB is up the plane so has opposite sign in the sum.
Ok think I'm starting to understand.

So since Fgsin(theta) points in the negative direction, and Fbcos(theta) points in the negative direction, we can say Fbcos(theta) = -Fbcos(theta) and they both have the same magnitude,

Fgsin(theta) - (-Fbcos(theta)) = 0

is my interpretation right now?

Rijad Hadzic said:
So since Fgsin(theta) points in the negative direction, and Fbcos(theta) points in the negative direction
No, they point in opposite directions. Fg has a component down the plane while FB has a component up the plane.

haruspex said:
No, they point in opposite directions. Fg has a component down the plane while FB has a component up the plane.

https://i.imgur.com/xS9VHXb.jpg

So this diagram must be wrong then?

Theta would actually be to the left of Fg then right. Because Fg is going down on an angle parallel with the surface?

Rijad Hadzic said:
https://i.imgur.com/xS9VHXb.jpg

So this diagram must be wrong then?

Theta would actually be to the left of Fg then right. Because Fg is going down on an angle parallel with the surface?
Your diagram marks two complementary angles as both theta. That would only be true if theta is 45 degrees.

Rijad Hadzic said:
It would actually look like this:

https://imgur.com/a/tq8yi

Right?
That diagram is uninterpretable. You have labelled several forces as "component" without indicating which component of which force.

Fg acts straight down.
If we resolve it normal and parallel to the plane then it has a component Fg sin(θ) down the plane and a component Fg cos(θ) into the plane.
Since downplane is taken as positive by the textbook author, the component parallel to the plane is Fg sin(θ), not -Fg sin(θ).

FB acts to the left.
If we resolve it normal and parallel to the plane then it has a component FB cos(θ) up the plane and a component FB sin(θ) into the plane.
Since downplane is taken as positive by the textbook author, the component parallel to the plane is -FB cos(θ), not FB cos(θ).

The sum of the forces parallel to the plane is therefore Fg sin(θ)-FB cos(θ). Since it is in equilibrium, that sum is zero, so Fg sin(θ)=FB cos(θ).

haruspex said:
That diagram is uninterpretable. You have labelled several forces as "component" without indicating which component of which force.

Fg acts straight down.
If we resolve it normal and parallel to the plane then it has a component Fg sin(θ) down the plane and a component Fg cos(θ) into the plane.
Since downplane is taken as positive by the textbook author, the component parallel to the plane is Fg sin(θ), not -Fg sin(θ).

FB acts to the left.
If we resolve it normal and parallel to the plane then it has a component FB cos(θ) up the plane and a component FB sin(θ) into the plane.
Since downplane is taken as positive by the textbook author, the component parallel to the plane is -FB cos(θ), not FB cos(θ).

The sum of the forces parallel to the plane is therefore Fg sin(θ)-FB cos(θ). Since it is in equilibrium, that sum is zero, so Fg sin(θ)=FB cos(θ).

I see. Well thanks for breaking it down.

https://imgur.com/a/pgCqL

Are those 2 equations at the bottom and the diagram correct now??

Rijad Hadzic said:
I see. Well thanks for breaking it down.

https://imgur.com/a/pgCqL

Are those 2 equations at the bottom and the diagram correct now??
That diagram and equations look right.

You need break the forces into x and y-axis of the plane and apply equilibrium equation. You will get two variables and two equations.

Follow a single sign convention. You problem of negative force will be resolved. Don't try to mix two sign conventions

1. What is net force?

Net force is the overall force acting on an object, taking into account both magnitude and direction. It is the sum of all the individual forces acting on an object.

2. How do you calculate net force?

To calculate net force, you must first identify all the individual forces acting on an object, then add them together vectorially. This means taking into account both the magnitude and direction of each force.

3. What is the difference between net force and individual forces?

Individual forces refer to the forces acting on an object separately, while net force takes into account all the forces acting on an object together. Net force is the overall effect of all the individual forces combined.

4. Why is understanding net force important?

Understanding net force is important because it allows us to predict the motion of an object and determine whether it will accelerate, decelerate, or remain at a constant velocity. This is crucial in fields such as physics and engineering.

5. What factors affect the magnitude and direction of net force?

The magnitude and direction of net force are affected by the individual forces acting on an object, as well as the mass and acceleration of the object. In addition, the presence of external forces, such as friction or air resistance, can also impact the net force.