Can anyone please verify/review this counterexample?

In summary: Note that none of 0, 1, 4, 9, and 16 is prime or 1.Therefore, not every positive integer can be written in the form p+a^2,where p is either a prime or 1, and a≥0.In summary, the counterexample of 25=0+25, 1+24, 21+4, 16+9 shows that not every positive integer can be written in the form p+a^2, where p is either a prime or 1 and a≥0.
Math100
Homework Statement
Give an example to show that the following conjecture is not true: Every positive integer can be written in the form p+a^2, where p is either a prime or 1, and a##\geq##0.
Relevant Equations
None.
Disproof: Here is a counterexample:
Suppose p+a^2=25, where 25 is a positive integer.
Then we have 25=0+25
=9+16
=16+9
=21+4.
Note that none of 0, 4, 9, and 16 is prime or 1.
Therefore, not every positive integer can be written in the form p+a^2,
where p is either a prime or 1, and a##\geq##0.

Above is my proof/answer for this problem. Can anyone please review/verify if it's correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Math100 said:
Homework Statement:: Give an example to show that the following conjecture is not true: Every positive integer can be written in the form p+a^2, where p is either a prime or 1, and a##\geq##0.
Relevant Equations:: None.

Then we have 25=0+25
=9+16
=16+9
=21+4.

Above is my proof/answer for this problem. Can anyone please review/verify if it's correct?
25=1+24 is missing, and why did you require ##a\geq 0##?

Likes Math100
Okay, so it should be the following:
Then we have 25=0+25
=1+24
=21+4
=9+16
=16+9.
Regarding a##\geq##0, I didn't require it, the problem statement had the condition so I included at the end of my proof.

Here is another one: ##x^2+x+41## is always prime for ##x\in \mathbb{N},## true or not?

Likes Math100
fresh_42 said:
Here is another one: ##x^2+x+41## is always prime for ##x\in \mathbb{N},## true or not?
Yes, it's true.

Math100 said:
Yes, it's true.
Nope. It is not, but it takes some numbers until it is false. What about ##x=41##?

Likes Math100
And for the 25=1+24, I think I would write it as 25=24+1 because in this case, p=24 and a^2=1. Thus, 24 is neither a prime nor 1.

Math100 said:
And for the 25=1+24, I think I would write it as 25=24+1 because in this case, p=24 and a^2=1. Thus, 24 is neither a prime nor 1.
Yes, and ##p=1## is an option offered by the problem statement, but ##24## isn't a square!

Likes Math100
fresh_42 said:
Nope. It is not, but it takes some numbers until it is false. What about ##x=41##?
For x=41, x^2+x+41 is not prime, so the answer is false.

fresh_42 said:
Yes, and ##p=1## is an option offered by the problem statement, but ##24## isn't a square!
So you're implying that in order to provide a counterexample of x=25, we just need to show that 25=1+24 and explain that 24 isn't a perfect square, that will suffice the whole/complete disproof for this problem?

Math100 said:
So you're implying that in order to provide a counterexample of x=25, we just need to show that 25=1+24 and explain that 24 isn't a perfect square, that will suffice the whole/complete disproof for this problem?
I'm saying that you have to check all expressions ##p+a^2## whether they equal ##25## or not.
##25=24+1## where ##p=24## and ##a^2=1## is one possibility (##24## is not prime), but the problem said, that ##p=1## is allowed, too, so ##p=1## and ##a^2=24## is another possibility (##24## isn't a perfect square). In any case, ##24+1## isn't an allowed solution.

Likes Math100
By the way, now that we talk about primes. A prime is a number that, if it divides a product, then it already divides one of the factors. This is the real definition.
$$
p\,|\,a\cdot b \Longrightarrow p\,|\,a \text{ or } p\,|\,b
$$
You can see, that this wouldn't make sense for ##p=1## because ##1## divides everything. This is why ##p=1## isn't considered a prime.

Likes Math100
fresh_42 said:
I'm saying that you have to check all expressions ##p+a^2## whether they equal ##25## or not.
##25=24+1## where ##p=24## and ##a^2=1## is one possibility (##24## is not prime), but the problem said, that ##p=1## is allowed, too, so ##p=1## and ##a^2=24## is another possibility (##24## isn't a perfect square). In any case, ##24+1## isn't an allowed solution.
So do I still need to write/include all other possibilities like 25=0+25
=21+4
=9+16
=16+9.
I don't think showing these are necessary because 25=1+24 is the perfect counterexample for this problem.

I'd say it's impossible for squares: If ## p+ a^2= b^2 ##, then ##p =b^2 -a ^2 =(b-a)(b+a) ##, a contradiction, unless ##b-a=1 ##..

Likes fresh_42
Math100 said:
Homework Statement:: Give an example to show that the following conjecture is not true: Every positive integer can be written in the form p+a^2, where p is either a prime or 1, and a##\geq##0.
Relevant Equations:: None.

Then we have 25=0+25
=9+16
=16+9
=21+4.

Your working could be clearer. For example, a clear, consistently formatted list (of ways to express 25 in the form ##p + a²##) could be written:
25 + 0²
24 + 1²
21 + 2²
etc.

Also, the question does not explicitly say ##a## is an integer. You may be expected to also cover non-integer values of ##a##.

Likes Math100
Math100 said:
So do I still need to write/include all other possibilities like 25=0+25
=21+4
=9+16
=16+9.
I don't think showing these are necessary because 25=1+24 is the perfect counterexample for this problem.
No, you have to check all possibilities. The fact that ##25=0+25## isn't a solution doesn't mean that ##25=1+24## couldn't be one. All possibilities must be excluded to get a counterexample for ##25=p+a^2.##

Likes Math100
fresh_42 said:
No, you have to check all possibilities. The fact that ##25=0+25## isn't a solution doesn't mean that ##25=1+24## couldn't be one. All possibilities must be excluded to get a counterexample for ##25=p+a^2.##
Okay, so I revised the whole disproof:
Then we have 25=0+25=0+5^2
=21+4=21+2^2
=9+16=9+4^2
=16+9=16+3^2
=1+24=1+(sqrt(24))^2
=24+1=24+1^2.
Note that 0, 9, 16 and 21 are not prime numbers or 1.
Also note that 24 is not a perfect square, prime number or 1.

WWGD said:
I'd say it's impossible for squares: If ## p+ a^2= b^2 ##, then ##p =b^2 -a ^2 =(b-a)(b+a) ##, a contradiction, unless ##b-a=1 ##..
Edit: ##b-a=1## makes ##p=b+a=1+2a## and ##25=p+a^2=a^2+2a+1=(a+1)^2.## Thus ##a=4## and ##25=p+4^2## means ##p=9## which is not prime.

To complete the argument: The above shows that ##p+a^2## isn't a perfect square, if ##p## is prime. That leaves us with the case ##p=1.## This results in ##1=(b-a)(b+a)## which can only be true for ##b=1## and ##a=0.## But ##p+a^2=1+0^2=1\neq 25,## so again no solution.

Last edited:
Likes Math100
Then we have 25=25+0^2
=24+1^2
=21+2^2
=16+3^2
=9+4^2
=0+5^2.
Note that none of 0, 9, 16, 21, 24 and 25 are prime numbers or 1.

Math100 said:
Then we have 25=25+0^2
=24+1^2
=21+2^2
=16+3^2
=9+4^2
=0+5^2.
That's okay. Note that if we consider any perfect square ##n^2## and look for ##n^2 = p + a^2##, then we have ##p = n^2 - a^2 = (n - a)(n + a)##. If we take ##n> 1##, then that cannot be prime unless ##n-a = 1## and ##n + a## is prime. We need only check the case ##a = n - 1##, and check that ##n + a## is not prime.

Note that ##n + a = 2n - 1##, so any ##n## where ##2n - 1## is not prime will do.

That gives us ##n = 5, 8, 11, 13 \dots## and examples ##25, 64, 121, 169 \dots##.

PS I see @fresh_42 has already posted something like this.

Likes Math100
Steve4Physics said:
Also, the question does not explicitly say ##a## is an integer. You may be expected to also cover non-integer values of ##a##.
##a## must be an integer. Diophantine equations generally have real solutions. In this case, for any positive integer ##n## and any prime ##p \le n## we have the solution:
$$a = \sqrt{n - p}$$

PeroK said:
##a## must be an integer. Diophantine equations generally have real solutions. In this case, for any positive integer ##n## and any prime ##p \le n## we have the solution:
$$a = \sqrt{n - p}$$
Yes. IMO the original question is badly written. We are unambiguously told what ##p## is. But all we are told about ##a## is that ##a\geq 0##.

The question, as stated, would allow, for example ##a=\sqrt 2##. (But then the question wouldn't make sense.)

If I were answering, for completeness I would start by saying ##a## is assumed to be an integer. Or maybe I'm being pedantic.

Steve4Physics said:
If I were answering, for completeness I would start by saying ##a## is assumed to be an integer. Or maybe I'm being pedantic.
The question is patently a Diophantine equation posted by someone who is studying number theory. It's not necessary to exclude real and complex numbers at every turn.

Likes Math100
Math100 said:
Then we have 25=25+0^2
=24+1^2
=21+2^2
=16+3^2
=9+4^2
=0+5^2.
As a challenge, can you find all six numbers less than 100 that fail the conjecture? You have 25 and 64 from the given analysis of square numbers. Can you find the other four?

PeroK said:
As a challenge, can you find all six numbers less than 100 that fail the conjecture? You have 25 and 64 from the given analysis of square numbers. Can you find the other four?
I only found out that n=1 works besides 25 and 64.

Math100 said:
##n=1=\underbrace{1}_{p}+\underbrace{0^2}_{a^2}## can be written as required.

Math100 said:
Did you try ##34##?

Likes SammyS
PeroK said:
Did you try ##34##?
No.

Math100 said:
No.
You can use an Excel sheet to check (I think, haven't tried.)

Likes Math100
Or, write a Python program using a sieve technique. If you're studying number theory in 2022 I suggest the ability to write computer programs is a huge advantage.

Likes sysprog
PeroK said:
Did you try ##34##?
Whether you you try n=34 or some other candidate as a counter example, try to be systematic.

To see if some integer, ##n## is a counterexample, begin with ##a=0## and increment ##a## by ##1## while ##a^2<n##. For each value of ##a##, compute ##p_a## where ##p_a=n=a^2##.
For a given number ##n##, if all ##p_a## are composite (Neither prime, nor 1), then you have found a counter example.

Furthermore, consider using as candidates for ##n##, non-prime numbers of the form ##n=3k+1##. . You should find that using such a number for ##n## will generate a list of values for ##p_a## in which 5 of every 6 entries is divisible by 2 or 3 (or both).

1. What is a counterexample?

A counterexample is an example or instance that disproves a statement or theory. It is used in mathematics and science to show that a general statement is not always true.

2. Why is it important to verify or review a counterexample?

Verifying or reviewing a counterexample is important because it ensures the accuracy and validity of the statement or theory being tested. It also allows for further analysis and potential revisions to the statement or theory.

3. Who can verify or review a counterexample?

Anyone with knowledge and expertise in the field of study can verify or review a counterexample. This includes scientists, researchers, mathematicians, and other professionals.

4. What is the process for verifying or reviewing a counterexample?

The process for verifying or reviewing a counterexample typically involves analyzing the evidence and data presented, checking for any errors or flaws in the logic, and determining if the counterexample is a valid disproof of the statement or theory.

5. Can a counterexample ever be proven wrong?

Yes, a counterexample can be proven wrong if it is found to have errors or flaws in its logic or if new evidence is presented that contradicts it. This is why it is important to thoroughly verify and review counterexamples before accepting them as valid disproofs.