Can anyone recommend me a textbook for Number Theory (Undergraduate)?

In summary, for the introductory number theory class without a textbook, Oystein Ore's "Number Theory and its History" is recommended. Another option is Pommerhseim's "A Lively Introduction to the Theory of Numbers," which is well-written and includes practice problems and proof writing. However, additional resources may be needed after completing this book.
Math100
So far, I've taken Ordinary Differential Equations and Introduction to Mathematical Proof. My plan is to take "Introduction To Number Theory" for next semester in Spring 2022. But my professor told me that she won't use a textbook for this class. I was wondering what are some of the good textbook(s) choices for Introductory (Elementary) Number Theory, that are suitable for undergraduate students like me. I want a textbook that has many practice problems and accurate answers. If anyone has any resources or know the textbooks, then please tell me the title of the textbook, edition, author, etc. Thank you.

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Oystein Ore's "Number Theory and it's History" might be a good place to start. He does cover a fair amount of mathematics as well as the history. ETA- it's only algebra, so shouldn't present a problem. Well, it does have some trig in it, but if you're past ODE, you're good to go.

Likes Math100
Theres a really simple one, but it is written extremely well. Pommerhseim: A Lively Introduction To The Theory Of Numbers. A great way to practice proof writing, while learning some interesting math.

It is a gentle book, explanations are thorough, and easy to follow. However, another book will be needed after it...

Likes Delta2 and Math100
Thank you, guys!

• Love
Likes Delta2

1. What is Number Theory?

Number Theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the properties and relationships of numbers, particularly integers. It involves studying patterns and structures in numbers and solving problems related to them.

2. Why do I need a textbook for Number Theory?

A textbook provides a comprehensive and structured approach to learning Number Theory. It covers all the important topics and provides examples, exercises, and practice problems to help you understand and apply the concepts.

3. What should I look for in a textbook for Number Theory?

When choosing a textbook for Number Theory, look for one that is written in a clear and concise manner, has plenty of examples and practice problems, and covers all the important topics in the subject. It should also be suitable for your level of understanding and have good reviews from other readers.

4. Can you recommend a specific textbook for Number Theory?

As a scientist, I cannot recommend a specific textbook for Number Theory. However, some popular and highly recommended textbooks for undergraduate level are "Introduction to Number Theory" by Richard A. Mollin, "A Friendly Introduction to Number Theory" by Joseph H. Silverman, and "Elementary Number Theory" by Kenneth H. Rosen.

5. Are there any online resources for learning Number Theory?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning Number Theory. Some popular ones include Khan Academy, Brilliant, and Coursera. You can also find lecture notes, practice problems, and video tutorials on websites such as MathHelp and Mathigon.