Textbook recommendations for calculus based physics course

In summary, the conversation was about textbook recommendations for a calculus based physics course. The individual had taken an algebra/trigonometry based course previously and was struggling with the textbook they were using. They were looking for additional resources to help them understand the material better. Recommendations were given for the books "Fundamentals of Physics" by Shankar and "Concepts of Physics" by Verma, as well as online videos and exercises. However, it was suggested that the individual focus on first-year calculus rather than searching for other physics books.
Michelle
Hello! So I need some textbook recommendations for calculus based physics course. I have taken an algebra/ trigonometry physics course last semester, but now I'm taking a calculus based. I have a textbook which the professor told us will follow our course. The book is Fundamentals of Physics (Extended Version) by David Halliway

It's giving me trouble because I like to visualize or have a picture in my mind how things work. If I could have an extra book to "dumb it down" for me, then I can catch up with the class textbook. I thought of Physics for Dummies but I'm not sure..

If anyone has any recommendations, please let me know. I want to do my best for this course.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Maybe have a look at the threads listed at the bottom of the page under "Similar Discussions" to see if any of those are the kind of thing you are looking for. :smile:

Likes Michelle
my favorite books are :
1. Fundamentals of Physics volume 1 by Shankar
2. Fundamentals of Physics volume 2 by Shankar

Videos, exercises, and other materials here and here

3. CONCEPTS OF PHYSICS VOL 1 by Verma
4. CONCEPTS OF PHYSICS VOL 2 by Verma

I like the above books much better than the normal resnick halliday , young freedman etc.

Also, if you can get hold of the three volume Fundamental University Physics by Alonso and Finn (not the single volume physics), they are pretty good as well.

Likes Michelle and The Bill
It sounds like you are trying to skip a calculus prerequisite for your physics class. Halliday & Resnick is a well respected standard. I recommend that you get comfortable with first-year calculus rather than looking for other physics books. You will not regret learning calculus.

smodak said:

These are just problem books which severely lack theory. The author expects the reader to know how to solve differential equation (SHM chapter) and triple integrals. In forces chapter he does all kinds of hand-wavy maths just to avoid using string constraints. He does not introduce any of these essential maths to reader. Moreover this book is marketed for first year high school physics students.

These books can single handedly make you hate Physics if read without necessary mathematical prerequisites. If anything this book is a very good problem book but stay away from theory part.

Buffu said:
These are just problem books which severely lack theory. The author expects the reader to know how to solve differential equation (SHM chapter) and triple integrals. In forces chapter he does all kinds of hand-wavy maths just to avoid using string constraints. He does not introduce any of these essential maths to reader. Moreover this book is marketed for first year high school physics students.

These books can single handedly make you hate Physics if read without necessary mathematical prerequisites. If anything this book is a very good problem book but stay away from theory part.

Hence the other two books and the videos :)

What is the best textbook for a calculus based physics course?

The best textbook for a calculus based physics course is subjective and may vary depending on personal learning styles and preferences. Some commonly recommended textbooks include "University Physics" by Young and Freedman, "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Giancoli, and "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday and Resnick.

What are the key factors to consider when choosing a textbook for a calculus based physics course?

When choosing a textbook for a calculus based physics course, it is important to consider the level of mathematical rigor, the clarity of explanations and examples, the inclusion of practice problems and solutions, and the level of difficulty in relation to the course syllabus and student's background knowledge.

Are there any online resources or open-source textbooks available for a calculus based physics course?

Yes, there are many online resources and open-source textbooks available for a calculus based physics course. Some popular options include OpenStax, HyperPhysics, and Khan Academy.

Are there any textbooks specifically designed for self-study in a calculus based physics course?

Yes, there are textbooks specifically designed for self-study in a calculus based physics course. These textbooks often include more detailed explanations and step-by-step solutions to practice problems to aid in independent learning. Some examples include "Physics for Scientists and Engineers: A Strategic Approach" by Knight and "Fundamentals of Physics: Extended" by Halliday, Resnick, and Walker.

What are some tips for using a textbook effectively in a calculus based physics course?

Some tips for using a textbook effectively in a calculus based physics course include reading ahead of lectures, taking notes and highlighting important concepts, practicing problems regularly, and seeking additional resources or help from a tutor or instructor when necessary.