Can Apes Be As Smart As Humans? - A Fascinating Nova Exploration

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Genius
In summary: I find it very interesting that the apes, when presented with the transparent puzzle box, ignored the instructions and just went straight for the candy, while the children continued to follow instructions.At first glance, the apes' approach seems to be the more reasonable one, but when you take into account the reason behind the children's actions, much more becomes apparent. Being hard-wired to look to adult or 'teacher' figures as a child and unquestioningly absorb what is being taught would lead to knowledge being more efficiently passed on to future generations, who could then build upon it.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
A fascinating look at the mind of our cousins; how we differ, and what we have in common.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/apegenius/
[watch online]

Physics news on Phys.org
Ivan Seeking said:
A fascinating look at the mind of our cousins; how we differ, and what we have in common.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/apegenius/
[watch online]

A great production, but typical of much of the fine work shown on PBS.

I was particularly interested in the way chimps can learn some human language and use tools, but fail at some tasks that dogs can perform. This tends to support the idea that "intelligence" is a multi-faceted thing that probably only exists in the eyes of those who try to measure it as a global entity.

Last edited:
SW VandeCarr said:
A great production, but typical of much of the fine work shown on PBS.

I was particularly interested in the way chimps can learn some human language and use tools, but fail at some tasks that dogs can perform. This tends to support the idea that "intelligence" is a multi-faceted thing that probably only exists in the eyes of those who try to measure it as a global entity.

My favorite part was when the children were tested to see if they could resist one piece of candy so that they could receive four pieces later. They didn't do much better than the apes! :rofl:

Extremely fascinating. Well worth watching.

I find it very interesting that the apes, when presented with the transparent puzzle box, ignored the instructions and just went straight for the candy, while the children continued to follow instructions.

At first glance, the apes' approach seems to be the more reasonable one, but when you take into account the reason behind the children's actions, much more becomes apparent. Being hard-wired to look to adult or 'teacher' figures as a child and unquestioningly absorb what is being taught would lead to knowledge being more efficiently passed on to future generations, who could then build upon it.

Interestingly enough, I think the same mechanism may be responsible for the prosperity of religion...

What is "Ape Genius - Nova online"?

"Ape Genius - Nova online" is a documentary produced by PBS Nova, exploring the intelligence and cognitive abilities of apes.

What is the main focus of "Ape Genius - Nova online"?

The main focus of "Ape Genius - Nova online" is to showcase the remarkable intelligence of apes, and how they are able to solve complex problems and communicate with humans.

What are some examples of ape intelligence shown in "Ape Genius - Nova online"?

The documentary features various examples of ape intelligence, such as using tools, understanding and performing tasks, and even learning sign language.

Why is studying ape intelligence important?

Studying ape intelligence can provide valuable insights into the evolution of human intelligence and behavior. It also challenges the notion that humans are the only species capable of complex thought and problem-solving.

What are some criticisms of "Ape Genius - Nova online"?

Some critics argue that the documentary anthropomorphizes apes and oversimplifies their behavior and abilities. Others question the validity of certain experiments and methods used to measure ape intelligence.