Can boiling water inside steel cube make it explode?

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential for a steam explosion to destroy a steel cube. It is mentioned that thin walls of the cube may not be able to withstand the pressure and that there are videos available online for those interested in witnessing a steam explosion. However, it is strongly advised against attempting such an experiment as it can be extremely dangerous and cause serious harm. The thread is ultimately locked to prevent any further discussion on the matter.
evergrace
Hello

Lets say we have a steel cube, then fill it with water and close all the gaps very strong with welding. If we leave the cube on a stove for a lot of time, is the produced steam of the boiling water, enough to destroy and smash the steel cube?

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you think and why?
Does the thickness of the walls of the cube matter?

Google for "boiler explosion".

Sure, if the sides of the cube are thin enough it won't be able to withstand the increase in pressure. Steam boilers used in old ships and locomotives could violently explode.

As an example:

2.jpg

Ok thanks, i have got my answer. So it is possible. I was just wondering, because the most common thing to hear is that the steam can kick out the lid of the boiler. I would not except, it would be able to destroy even the steel surfaces. I would like to try it one day, it will look very cool.

evergrace said:
I would like to try it one day, it will look very cool.

There are plenty of videos online if you want to see a steam explosion. Don't risk yourself or others doing something that you're not experienced with. Seriously, don't freaking do it. Even the explosions of a very small boiler can send shrapnel out that can injure eyes and cut arteries.

Drakkith said:
There are plenty of videos online if you want to see a steam explosion. Don't risk yourself or others doing something that you're not experienced with. Seriously, don't freaking do it. Even the explosions of a very small boiler can send shrapnel out that can injure eyes and cut arteries.
Ok thanks for the warning, but i want to try it. I will leave it boiling in a closed room and when i hear the BOOM i will go and check it out.

Bad idea. Please don't do it.

evergrace said:
Ok thanks for the warning, but i want to try it.

Do not do this. Deliberately creating an out of control explosion is dangerous and phenomenally stupid.

Chestermiller said:
Bad idea. Please don't do it.

Vanadium 50 said:
Do not do this. Deliberately creating an out of control explosion is dangerous and phenomenally stupid.
Come on, what can go wrong? The steel cube will be small and i will be out of the room. I am not an expert but i don't think that it is so bad. Can the exploded steel cause serious damage even on the wall?

Asked and answered. Don't be stupid.

Thread locked.

Related to Can boiling water inside steel cube make it explode?

1. Can boiling water inside a steel cube cause it to explode?

It is unlikely that boiling water inside a steel cube would cause it to explode. Steel is a strong and durable material that can withstand high temperatures without breaking or exploding.

2. What would cause a steel cube to explode when boiling water is added?

If a steel cube were to explode when boiling water is added, it may be due to a weak spot or defect in the steel, such as a crack or corrosion. In this case, the pressure from the steam produced by the boiling water could cause the steel to rupture and explode.

3. Is it safe to boil water in a steel cube?

Yes, it is generally safe to boil water in a steel cube. As long as the steel is in good condition and able to withstand the heat, it should not pose any danger. However, it is always important to follow safety precautions when working with hot liquids and materials.

4. Can a steel cube explode if it is heated too quickly?

If a steel cube is heated too quickly, it can potentially cause it to expand and create pressure within the cube. However, this is unlikely to cause an explosion and is more likely to result in the steel deforming or breaking.

5. What precautions should be taken when boiling water in a steel cube?

When boiling water in a steel cube, it is important to make sure the steel is in good condition and able to withstand high temperatures. It is also important to handle the hot cube carefully and use appropriate protective gear, such as heat-resistant gloves, to avoid burns. Additionally, it is important to monitor the boiling water and release any excess pressure to prevent potential explosions.