Buoyancy and fluid displacement

In summary: Claims of free energy are often accompanied by unsubstantiated claims about new physics or technology. These discussions should be moved to a separate thread.My theory of "Conservative Energy" relates with buoyancy. I wish to be debunked, but please explain why in an understandable, scientific matter.Your theory is based on buoyancy, but it's not clear how it would work.
Justin Shearer
Hello,

I've search for a while on these threads, and its difficult to find the answers that I'm looking for. I know perpetual energy machines are banned from topic, but closely related is the idea of free energy.

Is free energy (or close to it) allowed to be a topic of conversation? Why not if someone has an idea they would love to share, or if they are wrong, explain as to why they are wrong so they don't go through life never knowing how to test the theory.

My theory of "Conservative Energy" relates with buoyancy. I wish to be debunked, but please explain why in an understandable, scientific matter. ("Because saying x + y = z, therefore it won't work", is a lot better than "Google it, It won't work period so stop trying")

Anyways, here goes.

You have an object that sinks in water, (I've imagined a steel ball that is hollow). This steel ball first fills up with water, making it less buoyant than the water. Attached to a turbine and a pole, creates electricity on it's decent to the bottom of the ocean. When the ball hits the bottom, electric coils heat up to create air. Air flows upward into the steel ball, displacing the water, and making the steel ball buoyant. As it ascends, turbines again are spinning to create more electricity. The longer the decent, the more energy can be created. Also, the deeper the water, the faster the water boils, and less energy is required to life the steel ball back to the surface.

Any ideas to improve this work would be greatly appreciated, or if it will not work, please help me and explain why it wont.

Thanks,
Justin

Physics news on Phys.org
Justin Shearer said:
I know perpetual energy machines are banned from topic, but closely related is the idea of free energy.

Is free energy (or close to it) allowed to be a topic of conversation?
No. From the list of 'closed topics' in our posting guidelines:
PF Guidelines said:
Pseudoscience, such as (but not limited to):
Perpetual motion and "free energy" discussions

Expansion:
1. "Free energy" = "perpetual motion". So you haven't found either a way around our rules or the laws of thermodynamics.
2. See this link for the ancient class of failed PMMs you have attempted: https://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/museum/unwork.htm

1. What is buoyancy?

Buoyancy is the upward force exerted on an object when it is submerged in a fluid, such as water or air. This force is equal to the weight of the fluid that the object displaces.

2. How does the density of an object affect its buoyancy?

The density of an object determines whether it will float or sink in a fluid. An object with a lower density than the fluid it is in will float, while an object with a higher density will sink. This is because the object's weight is compared to the weight of the fluid it displaces.

3. What is the principle of fluid displacement?

The principle of fluid displacement states that when an object is placed in a fluid, it will displace an amount of fluid equal to its own volume. This displaced fluid will create an upward force, known as buoyant force, on the object.

4. How does the shape of an object affect its buoyancy?

The shape of an object can affect its buoyancy by changing the amount of fluid it displaces. Objects with a larger surface area will displace more fluid and experience a greater buoyant force, making them more likely to float. Objects with a smaller surface area will displace less fluid and experience less buoyant force, making them more likely to sink.

5. What is the relationship between buoyancy and weight?

Buoyancy and weight are directly related. The buoyant force experienced by an object is equal to the weight of the fluid it displaces. If the object's weight is greater than the buoyant force, it will sink. If the object's weight is less than the buoyant force, it will float.