Can breathing on plants help them grow?

• Thread starter BaiLiHua
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plants
In summary: This could be a neat way to try and get more sugar out of a plant while limiting quality concerns. In summary, breathing on a plant can slightly increase the level of carbon dioxide in the air, but the effect is very small.
BaiLiHua
Plants require carbon dioxide to carry out photosynthesis. Can breathing on them encourage growth?

Biology news on Phys.org
If the stomates on the leaves are open when your breathe on them, yes very slightly.
Actually just you being alive in the room with the plant, may increase the CO2 levels a small amount, depending on room ventilation.

Thanks!

If it does the effect will be too small to measure I would have to guess. I wonder though what the effects would be of growing plants in a room with say double the atmospheric content of co2.

Phyisab**** said:
If it does the effect will be too small to measure I would have to guess. I wonder though what the effects would be of growing plants in a room with say double the atmospheric content of co2.

I think the rate increases to a maximum value determined by CO2 content and other factors such as illumination level and temperature.

Phyisab**** said:

not sure, but CO2 fertilization is quite popular for freshwater planted aquariums.

i was thinking it would make a neat school experiment to grow plants in a plastic-sealed enclosure, but put an opened soda bottle inside one each day so that it releases CO2 as it goes flat. maybe there would be a difference in growth after a month.

That is a very interesting thought indeed.

Is this an established technique for commercial applications? Anybody know how effective this is and how far it can be taken? Edit: I did a quick google search but was overwhelmed by discussions of global warming. I'd try harder but I really need to study.

I had Googled it myself but found next to nothing. I doubt it's a commercial application, but I'll keep looking.

This came up in a discussion at lunch one day (we had a half-joking conversation about how to rapidly agave plants and take advantage of the slowdown in Mexico to corner the Tequeila market), but someone mentioned that they'd heard that high (as in many percent, and not parts per million) carbon dioxide concentration would get you bigger but sickly plants. I think the Wikipedia has something in this vein:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_dioxide#Role_in_photosynthesis

I Googled for 'high partial pressure CO2 plant growth' and found this article at PNAS (which uses the PACE facility mentioned on the Wikipedia page):
http://www.pnas.org/content/98/5/2473.abstract

I think we came to the conclusion that while we'd get more agave mash, the quality and sugars wouldn't be there. Though it might be possible to supply the sugars prior to fermentation, if not exactly any of the rest.

I do believe that makes a lot of sense.

Related to Can breathing on plants help them grow?

What is the science behind breathing on plants to help them grow?

Breathing on plants to help them grow is based on the concept of photosynthesis. When we exhale, we release carbon dioxide which is one of the essential components for photosynthesis to occur in plants. The plants then use this carbon dioxide to produce glucose, which is their main source of energy for growth.

Does breathing on plants actually make a difference in their growth?

While breathing on plants may provide them with some carbon dioxide, it is not a significant enough amount to make a noticeable difference in their growth. Plants are constantly exposed to carbon dioxide in the air, and they have the ability to regulate their intake of it. Other factors such as sunlight, water, and nutrients have a much larger impact on plant growth.

Can breathing on plants harm them in any way?

No, breathing on plants will not harm them. In fact, it may even have a slight benefit as the moisture and warmth from our breath can create a microclimate around the plant, similar to a greenhouse effect. However, it is important to not overdo it and potentially introduce harmful bacteria or viruses from our breath onto the plant's leaves.

Are there any other ways to provide carbon dioxide to plants?

Yes, there are other ways to provide carbon dioxide to plants. One common method is to use a carbon dioxide generator, which releases controlled amounts of carbon dioxide into a grow space. Another way is to use compost or decomposing organic matter, as they release carbon dioxide as they break down. Additionally, proper ventilation and air circulation can also help increase the amount of carbon dioxide available to plants.

Is it better to breathe on plants or use a carbon dioxide generator for their growth?

Using a carbon dioxide generator is a more efficient and controlled way to provide plants with carbon dioxide than breathing on them. However, breathing on plants can also have a slight benefit as mentioned before. It ultimately depends on the specific needs of the plants and the resources available to the grower.