Can capacitors be used for rocket ignition instead of batteries?

In summary, the user has been trying to use capacitors instead of multiple batteries to launch rockets, but has had trouble with both problems. The first problem is that the switch sparks, causing a loss of power, and the second problem is that when using a fine wire, the wire vaporizes and leaves a black trail on paper towel, but does not get hot enough to ignite the towel. The user has seen this on youtube and knows how to do it, but does not understand why their cap fails while others do well.
GiTS
I've been wanting to use capacitors instead of multiple batteries to launch rockets. I also want to see how a capacitor driven ignitor works compared to a normal battery driven with clusters of motors.

I've been having a couple problems.
Problem 1:The switch sparks, which I believe causes significant loss of power, but that's just a guess.
Problem 2: When I use an extremely fine piece of wire it pretty much vaporizes. But when I double up on said wire I don't even get a glow. The vaporizing wire leaves a black trail on paper towel but does not get hot enough to ignite the towel.

I've seen this on youtube so I know the method works, I just don't know why theirs does well and mine fails.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't know how you have your capacitors hooked up, but I have seen a capacitor version of the device to detonate dynamite used in place of the plunger. That device works by double pole, double throw switch with the armature connected to the capacitor. The capacitor has a bleeder resistor in parallel so it won't stay charged long.

First the switch is thrown to the charge position which charges the capacitor. In this position the battery is connected to the capacitor. When ready to detonate the switch is thrown to the detonate position in which the capacitor is connected to the detonator.

When you say double up on the wire I assume you mean folding the wire in half and using two strands in parallel. That would halve the resistance and the discharge time. Have you tried using a longer length of a single strand? Having a higher resistance, the wire may not get hot enough to vaporize and would stay hot longer. Having a larger value capacitor may also help.

Folded the wire in half and twisted it. I will try a longer piece of single strand wire and report the results. I can't change the capacitor out but I can't wire in another one in parallel. I believe that would double the amps since it's an identical cap. But i don't think the circuit was designed to handle it.

1. What is electric rocket ignition?

Electric rocket ignition is a method of igniting a rocket engine using an electric spark instead of a traditional chemical ignition source. This allows for greater control and precision in the ignition process.

2. How does electric rocket ignition work?

Electric rocket ignition works by using an electric spark to ignite the fuel and oxidizer mixture in the rocket engine. This spark is created by passing an electric current through a wire or electrode, which then generates a high temperature plasma that ignites the propellant.

3. What are the advantages of using electric rocket ignition?

There are several advantages to using electric rocket ignition, including improved reliability and safety, faster ignition times, and the ability to restart the engine multiple times during a single flight. Additionally, electric ignition systems are also more efficient and can provide more precise control over the engine's thrust.

4. Are there any disadvantages to using electric rocket ignition?

One potential disadvantage of using electric rocket ignition is the added complexity and cost compared to traditional chemical ignition systems. However, advancements in technology are making electric ignition systems more affordable and accessible.

5. Is electric rocket ignition used in all types of rockets?

No, electric rocket ignition is not yet used in all types of rockets. It is more commonly used in smaller, modern rockets such as those used for satellite launches. However, as technology continues to advance, it may become more widespread in larger rockets as well.