Can Categorical Variables be Used in Multiple Regression Models?

In summary, the conversation is about trying to create a regression model with the variables Y, N, T, and F, but the issue is that T is a categorical variable and cannot be used in the model. The person is seeking advice on how to proceed with the regression.
smp
Hello, I am trying to do the following regression model;

Y = N + T + F + NT + NF + NTF + error

Y= Grams of seed
N= Number of fruit
T= Type of fruit (2 types, alpha)
F= Field number (3)

I have tried putting this in MiniTab and I can't get this set up correctly.
Assistant> Regression> Multiple Regression

Y= Grams of Seed

Continuous X Variable= Number of Fruit, Field Number - but I can't select Type since they are words and not numbers. .

Categorical X value is optional- should I put Type here?

Thank You

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi smp, welcome to MHB!

This looks like a trick question.
We can indeed not add a type and number together. That is, it is not possible to evaluate something like "apple" + 2.
More generally, a multiple linear regression requires that all variables are quatitative (interval or ratio). That excludes categorical.

What is a regression model in MiniTab?

A regression model in MiniTab is a statistical method used to analyze the relationship between a dependent variable and one or more independent variables. It helps to identify and quantify the relationship between the variables and make predictions based on the data.

How do you create a regression model in MiniTab?

To create a regression model in MiniTab, you can use the Regression Analysis tool under the Stat menu. You will need to specify the dependent and independent variables and choose a regression model, such as linear or logistic regression. The tool will then generate a regression output with the results.

What is the difference between linear and logistic regression models in MiniTab?

Linear regression in MiniTab is used when the dependent variable is continuous, and the relationship between the variables can be represented by a straight line. Logistic regression, on the other hand, is used when the dependent variable is categorical or binary, and the relationship between the variables can be represented by a logistic curve.

How do you interpret the results of a regression model in MiniTab?

The regression output in MiniTab includes important information such as the regression equation, coefficients, and p-values. The regression equation helps to predict the value of the dependent variable based on the independent variables. The coefficients indicate the strength and direction of the relationship between the variables. The p-values help to determine if the relationship is statistically significant.

What are some limitations of using a regression model in MiniTab?

Some limitations of using a regression model in MiniTab include the assumption of a linear relationship between the variables, the presence of outliers, and the need for a large sample size. Additionally, regression models can only identify relationships between variables but cannot prove causality.