Can Cats Fly? Examining the 9 Lives Theory

• Thread starter musicmad_91
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theory
In summary, the 9 Lives Theory suggests that cats have multiple lives due to their ability to cheat death. However, this belief is simply a myth and cats cannot actually fly or survive multiple fatal injuries. Their agility and natural instincts may make them seem invincible, but in reality, cats are just as vulnerable as any other animal. While they may have a few tricks up their sleeves to survive dangerous situations, they definitely do not possess the power of flight.
musicmad_91
As we have all been told cats have nine lives and ALWAYS land on there feet just the same as toast 9 times out of 10 lands butter side down.

Using this theroy what would happen if i was to strap a few pieces of buttered toast buttered side up on to the back of my physics teachers cat, Tigger? would it hover when i dropped it from say a 50ft building? and would the fact that Tigger has only three legs make any difference??!?

:rofl: :confused: :rofl:

Please help me i have wondered this for a while!

xxx

Physics news on Phys.org
The experiment is being set up, as per a previous thread. Can't remember which one.

hey, would you be able to find out which thread for me? I am new to this physics forums!

xxx

The dirac cat would certainly fall down, feet first. However, an anti-cat would fall up, toast first, and so nothing is observable.

musicmad_91 said:
As we have all been told cats have nine lives and ALWAYS land on there feet just the same as toast 9 times out of 10 lands butter side down.

Using this theroy what would happen if i was to strap a few pieces of buttered toast buttered side up on to the back of my physics teachers cat, Tigger? would it hover when i dropped it from say a 50ft building? and would the fact that Tigger has only three legs make any difference??!?

:rofl: :confused: :rofl:

Please help me i have wondered this for a while!

xxx
In theory, the person attempting to strap buttered toast to the back of a cat would have one eye land lens first on the floor and the second eye hit lens first into the ceiling.

BobG said:
In theory, the person attempting to strap buttered toast to the back of a cat would have one eye land lens first on the floor and the second eye hit lens first into the ceiling.
In theory? That sounds more like what would happen in practice if one were to attempt to test the theory. :rofl:

Moonbear said:
In theory? That sounds more like what would happen in practice if one were to attempt to test the theory. :rofl:
In practise, no one's been able to complete the experiment and record the results. Yeah, it's worse than the "what does cyanide taste like?" experiment.

thanks guys been waiting for replys for ages!
xx

Gokul43201 said:
In practise, no one's been able to complete the experiment and record the results. Yeah, it's worse than the "what does cyanide taste like?" experiment.

Smells and tastes of almonds very mildly, I thought everyone knew that? That's why chemists waft things over their nose, explicitly to forgo the need to taste their experiments, or so I was told, I'm sure making moonshine with the water distilling still was an exception though:smile:

Basically get a load of Scientists to smell the liquid/vapour until someone identifies its odour. Tasting should be reserved only for those who like dicing with death.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyanide

Appearance and odor

Hydrogen cyanide is a colorless gas with a faint, bitter, almond-like odor. Nearly 40 percent of the population is unable to smell hydrogen cyanide. This seems to be genetically determined in a complex fashion[1]. Sodium cyanide and potassium cyanide are both white powders with a bitter, almond-like odor in damp air, due to the presence of HCN formed by hydrolysis:

NaCN + H2O → HCN + NaOH

Last edited:
Schrodinger's Dog said:
Smells and tastes of almonds very mildly
Don't know about the taste, but the reason "cyanide smells like almonds" is that in fact, almonds smell of cyanide (possessing small amounts of it).

Similar backwards applied attributes are frequently used with chemicals like hydrogen sulfide (rotten egg smell), esters (fruity odor), acetic acid (vinegary smell/taste), etc.

These references always remind of the 'frailty' lines from Hamlet and Twelfth Night.

[Hamlet]Hamlet:Frailty, thy name is woman.

<structurally similar to what I call a backwards attribute>

[Twelfth Night]Viola: Alas, our frailty is the cause, not we!
For such as we are made of, such we be.

<beautiful, ain't it?>

Someone taste some cyanide, so we can know for sure :wink:

Thanks for the info. I figure that almonds contained cyanide, composing the thread, I wonder how many you'd have to eat to kill yourself?

Ah subjects for my next and final experiment :biggrin:

Shakespeare is always beautiful, I expect we talked backwards back then as a hang up from the origins of our language, the French language for example is repleat with backwards talk. Should be three blue colours surely.:smile:

1. Can cats really fly?

Based on scientific evidence and research, cats do not have the physical capabilities to fly. They lack the necessary body structure and specialized adaptations, such as wings, to achieve flight. However, there are instances where cats may appear to be flying, such as when they jump or leap off of high surfaces.

2. Is there any truth to the 9 lives theory for cats?

The 9 lives theory is a common myth and has no scientific basis. Cats do not have multiple lives and are just as vulnerable to injuries and death as any other animal. This myth may have originated from cats' ability to endure falls from high places, but this is due to their natural agility and flexibility, not multiple lives.

3. What makes cats able to survive falls from high places?

Cats have a unique ability to twist their bodies midair and land on their feet, which is known as the "righting reflex". This reflex is a combination of their flexible spine, strong hind legs, and their acute sense of balance. However, this does not make them immune to injuries or death from falls.

4. Are there any dangers associated with cats jumping off of high surfaces?

Yes, cats can still sustain serious injuries or even die from jumping off of high surfaces. While their "righting reflex" may help them land on their feet, the impact of the fall can still cause damage to their bones, muscles, and internal organs. It is important to keep cats away from high surfaces to prevent these accidents.

5. Can cats be trained to fly?

No, cats cannot be trained to fly. Their anatomy and physiology do not allow for flight. While they may be able to glide for short distances, this is not considered true flight. Attempts to train cats to fly would be unethical and potentially harmful to the animal.