Can cell electrodes in series share the same current collector?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of having positive and negative electrodes share the same current collector in a 12V battery. The design is intended to be membrane-free and prevent short circuiting. It is mentioned that the battery case is made of plastic and there is some ambiguity regarding the connection of the current collector to the electrodes. However, it is agreed that the use of a common sheet of metal does not affect the connection of the electrodes.
Rich76
Sorry if the answer is obvious, but I was wondering if positive and negative electrodes (cells in series) can share the same current collector as depicted below? I want to create a 12V battery with cells inline in series without creating cells with individual current collectors. Note that the cell chambers are sealed.

battery.png

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Perhaps I don't understand the idea, but it sounds like an attempt at short circuiting cells.

I see a simple set of batteries in series

Likes Rich76
Borek said:
Perhaps I don't understand the idea, but it sounds like an attempt at short circuiting cells.
It's designed to be membrane free. The corrosive bromine at the surface of the positive carbon felt dissolves zinc dendrites forming from the negative electrode back into the electrolyte faster than they can build, given the appropriate charge current.

Last edited:
BvU said:
I see a simple set of batteries in series

Yes. The cells share the same aluminium current collector (coated in carbon). Attached on one side of the current collector is the negative carbon cloth, and attached on the other side is the positive carbon felt. Is that okay?

I forgot to mention that the battery case is plastic (HDPE).

OK, "electrodes sharing current collector" was a bit ambiguous, I wasn't sure if you mean "connecting all current collectors together" or "current collector attached to anode on one side and cathode on the other side".

In the latter case these are just - like BvU wrote - batteries in series. You have to connect electrodes, whether you do it with an external wire or by using common sheet of metal doesn't matter.

• Informative
Likes Rich76
Thank you.

1. Can multiple cell electrodes be connected in series?

Yes, multiple cell electrodes can be connected in series. This means that the positive terminal of one electrode is connected to the negative terminal of the next electrode, creating a continuous flow of electricity.

2. Can the same current collector be used for multiple cell electrodes in series?

Yes, the same current collector can be used for multiple cell electrodes in series. This is because the current collector acts as a pathway for the flow of electricity and does not affect the connection between the electrodes.

3. Will using the same current collector for multiple cell electrodes affect the performance of the cells?

No, using the same current collector for multiple cell electrodes will not affect the performance of the cells. As long as the current collector is able to handle the total current of all the connected electrodes, it will not have a negative impact on the cells.

4. What is the benefit of connecting cell electrodes in series?

The benefit of connecting cell electrodes in series is that it increases the overall voltage of the system. This can be useful in applications where a higher voltage is required to power a device or system.

5. Are there any limitations to connecting cell electrodes in series?

Yes, there are limitations to connecting cell electrodes in series. The total voltage of the connected cells cannot exceed the maximum voltage limit of the current collector. Additionally, if one cell in the series fails, it can affect the performance of the entire system.